Science Forums

National ID Chip Implant

A friend of mine is obsessed with bringing down the RFID technology before it gets spread, i think that he will go out of his way to prove that RFID is worthless and is just another way of government trying to controll you... i hope i can convince him to sign up and say all he has to say about RFID that is if i see him soon.

Hello all,

ive been lurking around this site for about a week now, and i feel im about ready to chime in a bit. (i must say, i really enjoy this site.)

This idea of having an ID chip defenitely has many advantages, but in my opinion of thinking as realisticly as possible, there is no way i could embrace any part of it.

When you put all of your information onto a chip (assuming that the chip replaces the other vehicle in which the copy of information is carried, i.e. drivers lisc., credit card, ss card/govt.id #, etc.) you have to turn it into digital information. Digital information is probably one of the easiest forms of data to manipulate. It takes significantly less skill to do wich means that you increase the probability that it will be done. *note: no offence to any of the tekkies out there, but being both a computer person and an artist (although novice at both) i feel that while it requires skill to figure out many of the aspects of computing, once it has been figured out, it can then be transformed into instructions for other people to follow without requiring as much skill as the pioneer. Counterfeitting currency, documents, id cards, etc. takes a little more artistic skill and most people exhibit a different degree of that skill while also sometimes leaves traces of style and/or resources in the work.

They would also be traceable. Some people dont necessarily see that as a threat, but if you are tracable by the government, (that alone is way too unsettling for me), then you are also tracable by people that could use that information to track you like hackers, spys, police, stalkers, disgruntled ex friends,lovers,etc., corporations for your spending habits, anyone who wants to moniter where you go or who you talk to, and thats what just pops to mind rite now. Countless number of people and entities can easily turn that technology against you.

You may think that can be regulated or secured. Possibly only letting the government access it, but if they have the ability to, that means someone else can figure out how to do it. You cant tell me that everyone in politics and government is trustworthy.

They would have to be reprogramable otherwise you cancel out any convenience that you'd aquire from recieving an 'implant', and convenience is the selling point to convince people to get them. The ability to reprogram them by itself also increases the risk.

Quote: infamous[/i]

I just feel a little uneasy by the thought of so much control. You realize that those with power have always exercized their will upon the masses. To what ends will such control have on humanity?

It does not automatically follow that information = power. It depends on what kind of information, and what kind of power. Maybe we are talking about information about how you react to certain medicines, and you're lying in a hospital in a coma? Or your daughter is missing and she can be found with an id tag?

Tormod I must also comment that I do agree with what Infamous is implying. Information does equal power. Any information gives that person that much more power over someone/something. It is what kind of person and how they use that information to exploit that power that makes the difference. Info may not necessarily 'be' power but it gives you the means for power, just like someone having a powerplant does not 'have' electricity, but has the means to create electricity. If someone has the info stating that drug X is lethal to you, they now have that much more power over your life. The ability to use that info to help you or hurt you if inherent in all. Its how they use the info that determines the outcome.

Now that ive decided to be an active member, ill wander over and log an introductory post so that you have an idea of who you are talking to. As i have said, i like this site and hope to learn much and even contribute a bit.

Thanks to all for listening to my paranoid ramblings. :)

This post has been edited for content and to fit your screen

(really just to fix a random fit of temporary dislexia) ....sorry Tormod :-)

Aye, you do make some good points Drakon1323. (I shall hence forth refer to you a 'Drak')

Stiil in regards to the reprogramability aspect, a lot could be said of an implant that had both ROM and EPROM capability. The ROM aspect would have to hold all the unchanging information (SSN/SIN, Birthdate, unique chip identifier, some biometrics, etc...), while the EPROM could hold other less critical data (such as drivers licence, images, datebook, etc...).

thoughts?

If the technology was a must, it would definitely be a great asset to keep the static information on a permanent rom but theres alot of fluctuating info that would be as valuable, like financial or credit info. Plus, whats to say, someones not going to burn a fresh rom with your data and go pretend that theyre you. In theory, that process is very easily done. Identity theft has grown exponentially since critical information has become available on the internet. People have found out how easy it is to do and get away with it. The technology is still being figured out by most (good and bad) and therefore it is not a secure means in any respect. Especially if you rely on it.

Build a stronger and more secure safe, and there will be some smarter thief engineer a method to open it. I would no more trust the government than this smart thief I'm talking about. Because our government can't keep many secrets, at least when it comes to our secrets, the common man.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to share this with you guys. Mark this in the "People you meet in Bookstores" category...

Tonight, while browsing at an out-of-our-way Borders... we were looking for a book on MONO, some new computer thing that the hubby is into right now... standing in the same aisle, looking into MAC books, was an older man... he didn't look like the typical 'geek' so we didn't take much notice of him... of course, you can't judge a book, and so forth... turns out this guy is Morton Greene, President of INKODE... cool little company into RFID... he talked with us for close to half an hour about one of his company's upcoming projects involving airport security and their 'chipless' rfid antennas... most congeniel man, as well as very interesting... he regaled us with stories of inventing the idea for the cordless telephone, as well as many other things... anyhow, if you Google INKODE, you'll find lots of interesting info to go right along with this thread, including the link i'm posting here...

sorry for resurrecting a quiet thread, but i was really impressed with Mr. Greene, and thought that it would give you guys pause as well... maybe we could ask him to join us in NYC for a talk??? just a thought! :hihi:

http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/articleprint/363/-1/1/

there's no way in hell i'd have one of those chips in me. i don't trust the government (or anyone for that matter) to have access to the sort of information these chips could provide about me. i don't know if i'd even want to associate myself with someone ELSE that had one. also, how would we know there wouldn't be more information given from these chips than what we're aware of? now that i think about it... flu shot, anyone? :hihi: