Science Forums

Legalized prostituion?

sanctus

Reading somewhere in the "weird thought on sexual drive" that something would be a reason to legalize prostitution. From there I deduce that it is not legal in the US. Is this right? Why isn't it legal? Isn't this a bit hypocrite?

In Switzerland it is legal, but the prostitutes need to get a permission and have to go to a medical control once every month. Obviously there are as well heaps of illegal prostitutes, but the point is that prostitution is per se legal.

I always thought it would be legal in all contries of the occidental world, if it isn't i don't understand why. I feel it to be hypocrite simply because the saying "prostitution is the oldest work of the world" is not without truth. It is basic need for most of the people (here I refer to normal acts not some perverted aberrations) and not all are in couples.

Legal Prostitution in the United States would be a step forward; albeit under similar regulation as they have in Europe.

Back in the ol' Wild West, it WAS legal, as far as I know. Legalizing prostitution serves more than one purpose. 1) you give men a place to "vent" and spend their energy; (ie Slaking their primal instincts, and calming them down)

2) It creates employment opportunities. 3) It could be taxed and regulated

Any good Sheriff back in the ol' days realized the importance of a 'whorehouse' for keeping the men in line;by relieving their sexual tensions.

Regardless of any Moralistic shortcomings some may invoke, ( just ask the Catholic Priests :confused: ), I think it would curb crime and benefit the Women who are subjected to Psychopaths, Pimps, Police Harrasment, and Drug Addiction.

Regulating A large country like the U.S. would obviously be more challenging as compared to the smaller and less populated countries of the EU.

And with so many more diseases rampant today, not only would the Women need to be tested, but the "Tricks" should need to be tested in order to get, say a "Club Card' or some such membership requirement.

Legalizing prostitution is definitely the way to go.

Forget about the moral implications: Prostitutes will be there as long as there are humans on planet Earth. By legalizing it, we can make it safer for the women involved, as well as more hygienic. Their establishments can be subject to proper 'health inspections' like restuarants in order to keep their licenses.

In South Africa, prostitution was legalized quite a few years ago. Today, prostitutes are regarded as 'sex industry workers', and have to pay tax, same as everybody else. Their 'profession' is protected by law, not by some sleazebag pimp, and they are taxed like everybody else to pay for the priviledge.

Prostitution is not legal in the US because of a predominating Christian/Catholic moralistic stronghold in legislature, still deeply based on an obsurd "Puritanical" roots system brought here from the 1600's/1700's.

Its why we cant get Pot legalized and that was why "Prohibition" happened.

There is definately too many hipocrites who claim "Morality" but behind closed doors are as immoral as any heathen!

One of the possible problems with legalized prostitution is that it might cause men within marriage or intimate relationships to think/argue that it is OK to violate the implied monogamy associated with intimate relationship. Maybe the compromise is that only unattached single people, who are only causually dating could enjoy this option.

One of the possible problems with legalized prostitution is that it might cause men within marriage or intimate relationships to think/argue that it is OK to violate the implied monogamy associated with intimate relationship. Maybe the compromise is that only unattached single people, who are only causually dating could enjoy this option.
Men are not monogamous. Those few who take their commitment seriously will not be daunted by the opportunity to betray their partners. Prostitution is not an issue.

I think a big part of the reason why prostitution isn't legal in the US is because our government thinks they are better than every other government in the world(which is not true). Everyone here in the states is taught to be thankful for all the "morals" that the US has... but really, we're just a bunch of stuck up religious freaks trying to shelter ourselves from the truth. this **** DOES happen... and there is no way of stopping it.

To each his own, I say.

Read my first and second post carefully in response to Sanctus :cup:

I readily explain the dichotomy.

Don't just post some stupid crud.

We are talking about the lives of Women who are now practically "Indentured Servants" and constantly fight the pressures of Pimps, Drugs, Disease, Societal abuse, and Police Harrasment!! :D

It is No joking matter!! :cup:

Sanctus proposed a very important question here.

There will surely be some statistics if here in europe there are more men than in the Us which go to prostitutes. Seen that only about 10% are legal ones, I don't know if it really changes much.

it's legal, except people don't have to pay cash to the prostitute anymore. Very interesting how the internet world can conflict quickly with the physical world.

adultfriendfinder.com (sexual relationship site) 18+ only

Another interesting thing is how ebay brough the post office back into place after email become common.

It seems the only reason people stay prostitutes is to either feed themself, family, or else pay bills. In the most case though, they won't be able to do such things with the Internet conflcting. I'm not sure if any of them are educated enough to understand this principle, but they are going to be out of a job soon.