Science Forums

Fear and Free

inside the sun

Fear seams to be the most controlling emotion. I want to remove my fears, does that mean i should do extreme sports, or be like jim morrison and hang from buildings to test myself and my fears. Seriously, how do we free oursevles from fear. Should i drop acid to remove all barriers? How do we free ourselves..of course we'll never be completely free, but you know what i mean. Think about it, if we remove fear we are FREEE to do anything. I( find it funny Fear and Free almost have all the same letters).:cup: :cup:

let me add to what i said.

There is a big chain of events linked to this. Things we can bounce off of, and what not. For instance, 1) we got marilyn manson, very feared=lots of fans, eminem=feared=fans=control. 2) politicans, policeman use fear to control. Goes to that whole thing, do you not commit crimes because you know it is wrong, or because you are afraid of the punishments. For me, i don't commit crimes i know are wrong, but the ones that i do commit, are ones i wouldn't commit only because i fear the punishment. Example a lot of drugs i believe should be legal. Having sex at whatever age you feel fit and ready (both partners ready) should be legal, watching a movie at any age, should be up to the person, there shouldn't be laws on a lot of things, but thats whole other discussion.:cup:

In my opinion, the best way to remove "fears" is to face what it is you are truly afraid of. It's something that has to be discovered internally - what is it you're afraid of? Death? Life? Taxes? It's not something you can find from anyone else. Why is it you're afraid? Keep in mind that everyone has to die, it's part of being alive. It's not a question of being afraid to die, because it's going to happen. If this were your fear, I'd ask you what about it scares you? How you will die? When you will die? The fear of being forgotten forever after you die? Or perhaps the fear of what comes after death? For myself, I had to realize that being afraid of the inevitable is useless. Instead, I choose to celebrate the present; I am preparing for the future, but I try to take brief moments every day to just look around and be grateful.

As a police officer, I can tell you that I do not knowingly use fear to control (until it becomes absolutely necessary and a weapon is involved, which is very rare)... people who are "afraid" of the police tend to be people who break the law a lot. Everyone else seems to know that we're just people like everyone else. Fear of punishment is all we (as citizens in society) have to keep us safe, sometimes - would you bother registering your car if you weren't afraid of getting a fine? Would you bother following any speed limit if nobody would ever give you a ticket? But is that real fear? Who cares about a fine, when you consider real life and death issues? (I agree with you about certain drugs not needing to be illegal, but that's not my call to make... that's legislature's bag). I am not sure if this has something to do with your fears, but I assume from your last post that perhaps it is one of the things. Or is it simply that you do not feel that you have any control? I'm more afraid of places like China taking control of the world somehow - imagine being shot for voicing your opinion, like the recent event near Beijing...

Think about it, if we remove fear we are FREEE to do anything. I( find it funny Fear and Free almost have all the same letters).:cup: :cup:
Freedom from fear is something we all seek, but freedom from accountabliity and the consequences that come with it cannot be thrown to the wind. We live in this world together and therefore share the responsibility for it's civil maintenance. Without a degree of moderate restraint, anarchy would destroy us all...................Infy

Seriously, how do we free oursevles from fear.
In a word (and, of course, in my opinion): training.

The first time you drove a car – or made a drop-launch with a hang glider, or took your first steps on two feet – you were likely pretty afraid. In time, as you mastered each skill, you became increasingly less afraid, until now, you can perform these activities virtually without fear, and in some cases, without even conscious awareness.

Some activities, such as handling emergencies, can’t practically be practiced. For these, one can prepare, through study and rehearsal – in short, through training. If the training is sufficiently, and the range of situations trained for sufficiently broad (or if the training includes how to perceive and react to unanticipated situations) as to apply to effectively any situation you’ll encounter, you will then be effectively fearless.

This is why, I believe, well-trained people – soldiers, police officers, EMTs, extreme athletes, businesspeople giving a speech to a corporate board, mathematicians sitting their oral thesis defense, etc. – often appear fearless. What such people will tell you, if you discuss it with them, is that they feel fear just as a less trained person does, but that the fear lacks the ability to panic or paralyze them. They are not without fear, but beyond its grasp.

Thank you all for your replies thus far. I like yours a lot niviene. It is nice to be reminded police officers are people too, and not only people but are intelligent and deep thinkers such as yourself, for that i thank you. As for breaking laws, there isn't much i have broken, except expiermenting with drugs. Yes, I'm very glad we aren't like China, i'd be dead already for a lot of the things i have said, most of us here at hypography would be dead already.

In a word (and, of course, in my opinion): training.

CraigD i like this a lot, and of course your explanation of it afterwards, it makes a lot of sense and i definetly agree.

I find that the best way to free my mind is to constantly put things back into perspective. In the end, none of what we fear the most truly matters. Lots of humans fear certain social situations... I get like this from time to time. But everytime I start thinking like this, I try to think about how mucha social status REALLY matters in the long run. We all ultimately end up dead... so, in the long run, none of what we do really matters. And whenever I think along these lines, I feel at ease knowing that if I don't nail the job interview... that life will go on. And to enjoy the short time I have to be me.

this is a great thread. . .

but i think it should be noted that fear stems from the unknown. . .

you aren't sure whether or not you will get a ticket, so you aren't sure whether or not to speed.

if you knew you were either going to get away with it for sure, or get a ticket for sure, you would not have fear, only a decision.

so in conquering fear, one must simply accept the most plausible results of whatever actions are at hand, that is, all of the most plausible results

last night i dreamed of being on top of this really high building and the way down was a realy steep one. My fear was the height and falling, so i dangled off the edge, it didn't seam like a dream it seamed real. And i may have taken the steep way down a couple times off of that ledge, but in the end i started going down the easier way because i was too afraid of falling. this was only a dream too.

It's true the statement " there is nothing to fear, but fear itself "

Fear is an instinctual survival tool. If I bumped into a 8 foot grizzly bear, I am naturally fearful. It is part of the Fight or Flight mechanism.

Irrational fear is another type of fear caused by some psycological condition.

I fear that terrorists will detonate a dirty bomb, but cannot allow that fear to control my life.

Fear is the ultimate control tool.

The fear of going to Hell makes me go to church. (not really, but as an example).

People will respond to fear MORE than they respond to pleasure.

If you fear something, say hang gliding then simply don't do it.

If you realize that your fear is irrational, then you're already on your way to conquering it!

Fear of loneliness:

Human loneliness is born out of a suspicious perception and an unwillingness to be honest with each other.

When we can trust each other enough to be totally honest, loneliness wll pass.................................the problem is: We keep finding good reasons to be suspicious................Infy

yeah, isn't it amazing how much the stories of jesus christ has influenced the behavior of such a large amount of our mass population?

there has been peace because of fear.

but shouldn't peace come from understanding?

Since so many people believe the possibility of god existing, they allow that element of the unknown to control and constrict their behavior.