Science Forums

The most influential person ever...

Boerseun

Ok, are you saying impact is a stronger word that influence or vice versa. I can see how impact could be a stronger word. If you use it in say the game of billiards. If you want to have a great impact on the table you hit the ball hard and drive it around the table. If you just want to move a ball into the pocket, you want to influence it (i guess the difference is in hit or finesse, but you get the point.)

Anyway, haven't thought of any others that have seriously influenced/impacted a major portion of the world except maybe emperor Constantine, in the spread of christianity.

that to me is the same thing. If you influence things, you only start the ball rolling, maybe from a speck of dust you get something the size of a monster truck. If you impact something, you start with a monster truck (of an idea) and it snowballs into a greater thing. Newton had impact, in that his idea caused a revolution in physics, (same with Einstein). The person who physically built the a-bomb dropped on nagasake, influenced things because while he didn't himself decide to use it, he made it available to another person to use and that person then had an impact on society (Truman you have a vote.)

Sorry guys, if you think this is off topic let me know. It seems we are arguing semantics which pertian to the subject, but only in as much as we are killing the simplicity of the original thought.

Me.

and maybe Kepler.

but definitely Me.

:confused:

Seriously, that's a hard call. EVER in history? For the whole planet? I'd have to say some of the highlights for me would be Ptolemy, Aristotle, Socrates, Jesus, COpernicus, Constantine, Charlemagne, Muhammad, DaVinci, Galileo, Kepler, Martin Luther, FDR, Hitler, Winston Churchill, Gandhi, Madonna, Dubya.... I could name ten thousand (as we all could) but these are the first that leap to my mind without thinking! This is a great thread, I can't wait to hear who the author chose!