the symbol that we now know as zero stems from the 7th

century AD. The Maya invented the number zero for

their calendars in the 3rd century AD.

The number zero reached European civilisation through

the Arabs after 800 AD. The Greek and Roman did not

need the number zero for they did their calculations

on an abacus. The name 'zero' comes from the arabic

'sifr'.

(Data from the book "the calender" by D. E. Duncan).

Dr. Wassenaar

from http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov

Hanibal, Troy, any one of the ancient greeks who are known, and hundreds more who are forgotten.

More recently, I would argue for the Normans, in the form of William the Conquerer, who won the battle of Hastings in 1066, and was the last successful invader of Britain, setting up the perhaps unique conditions that meant that hundreds of years later, a stable strong system developed which could eventually forge a nation after the collapse of his empire, then grow to form a nation, expand and become an empire, fire the industrial revolution, and provide the mix of the right genes to allow the Brits to produce about 90% of all the major innovations up until 30 years ago. There is no corner of the world untouched by the British and the Empire, and I contend that without that singular invasion in 1066, it wouldn't have happened, and it would have taken hundreds more years for the smaller waring factions to eventually make some sort of peace.

What about Steve Jobs, then, though I doubt they are in the top 10. I'm enjoying musing about the impact each person above had on the world. I would include Hitler in the top 10. I think currently Bin Laden/GWBush would also be in the top 10 as their impact is known the world over, but we'll have to wait and see how far reaching into the future it is.

Henry Ford. Of course, the man who revolutionized industry. Well, I'm not entirely convinced of that. I think the person who first made a machine to stamp out replaceable parts did more for industry than Henry Ford. And others invented the automobile before him too. Doesn't mean he didn't have a big impact though.

That brings up an interesting thought. (Sorry I'm kind of rambling, it is again too late for me to be up.) The men/women who invent a process aren't necessarily the ones that become famous.

Who is more influential on history: the inventor of a process (say steam engines) or the person who makes them famous by putting them in every factory in the world? Or should they share the position equally?