Science Forums

Abortion: Murder

goku

If abortion becomes murder, it will keep growing and growing until eventually a woman who has a miscarriage will be considered a murderer because she worked during her pregnancy and it is agreed to have caused harm to the baby.

Abortion has malice (damage to living thing) and premeditation. If a woman *forces* herself to miscarry somehow, then I suppose she could be tried, but if it is caused by things beyond her control, and she wasn't doing anything abnormally dangerous, then it couldn't be murder.

If I'm reading this right, Freethinker, then you agree that a minority of abortions are murder of humans?

INTENT. Yes I would agree that if the INTENT of the person causing the abortion is to kill what will be an actual living human, it might be considered murder. e.g. a person brutely attacks a woman that is close to term with the specific intent of killing the fetus, I think this could be considered legal case for murder. Much like the bible's ONLY comment regarding abortion, except it is not the father that gets to decide.

However let there be no misunderstanding. there is not any science behind the claim that an early term zygote can be assigned human personage. As such, Government can not ethically invent a law saying otherwise. And in general I have no problem with early term abortion as a 2ndary method of birth control.

And no I do not have a clear cut line as to when a late term abortion would cross that line. And as science has none either, it MUST be left up to the mother who may wish to include any medical resources in making that determination.

if a human egg is fertilized by a human sperm, how is this not an embryonic Homo SAPIENS?

Obviously the determination of what is and what is not a homo sapien sapien is based on the genetic DNA makeup. There is merely a couple of % diff even amoungst human and other close primate relatives. Thus there is a very small range of DNA mutations that are still within homo sapien sapien grouping.

"genetic abnormalities are probably responsible for a considerable part of (natural abortions) (Hall, Elizabeth. "When Does Life Begin? An Embryologist Looks at the Abortion Debate.")"

Thus these mutant zygotes are far enough off of the acceptable range of what is homo sapien sapien that the mother's body rejects and aborts it as alien matter.

FREETHINKER.. you said

''Obviously the determination of what is and what is not a homo sapien sapien is based on the genetic DNA makeup.''

what kind of genetic makeup would you conclude two human beings contribute?

That's not the issue, The issue is what is the genetic makeup of the results of the combination of those two individuals. Obviously, MOST of the time, the resultant genetics is so far outside of acceptable range as to be outright rejected by the human host. Since one of the "tests" of species type is ability to procreate, that particular genetic combination didn't pass the homo sapien sapien species test.

Abortion has malice (damage to living thing) and premeditation. If a woman *forces* herself to miscarry somehow, then I suppose she could be tried, but if it is caused by things beyond her control, and she wasn't doing anything abnormally dangerous, then it couldn't be murder.

So only PROactive actions count? It would be just as malicious and premeditated if the woman did not do something she was supposed to. Why are you claiming only PROactive? Not also REactive?

So only PROactive actions count? It would be just as malicious and premeditated if the woman did not do something she was supposed to. Why are you claiming only PROactive? Not also REactive?

I'm not quite sure what you mean here, could you explain it a little differently?

So now you say that the fertilized egg is not a child? So when does the conceived become a child? I thought you previously claimed this happened at conception.

i think you missed the point.

zygote is just a word, a word created by scientists. the word does not change anything.

before the word zygote there was nothing?

seems to me that if the fetus is formed from human cells, that would make it human.

we kill plants

we kill germs

we kill animals

we kill each other

but we abort babies? what's wrong with this picture?

i think abortion is a word of convience used to cover what is really happening.

and i think that you are a bit rediculous, because i bet you would say different if you were in a situation where you would need to get an abortion... :evil: