Science Forums

The Fountain of Life: Scientists Uncover the “Chemistry Behind the Origin of Life”

Vmedvil5

1 hour ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

You see how sad this is? I will pray for this poor forum,

Lord God, please look after Moontanman, and help him see your love and favor even though he may not be quite ready to believe yet. And Lord God, do not blame Atomsmasher for his anger, for he is just frustrated with the forum message system and is mistakenly blaming me. 

You seem to blend in quite well with the fundies. If you are going to pray for me pray I win the lotto so I can buy a house and take care of my mom. 

34 minutes ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

In case you couldn’t tell I’m obviously an atheist. I was raised a Catholic so I know how to come across as irritatingly Christian. Not to say there isn’t some quality in Church groups that have at least a reason to hangout. So I still involve myself with church groups as an atheist that feigns faith. 

I believe that the universe is around 13 billions years old though, do base a lot of my theory on bbt and relativity models I use math but when it comes to the existential nature of things you can’t beat Murphy’s law imho.

Not cool to pretend to be a theist, it does nothing but muddy the water. 

21 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

Anyways, as far as the theology of science goes 😄 oxygen can take on many forms, the one we break is gas, it could be liquid, solid, or in the sun plasma. Most people think solid, gas, liquid, but there's also plasma that has free-roaming electrons. If you wanted to grow a plant have a plasma light shining on it. Plasma releases many wavelengths.

There is clear evidence when the elements formed in the early universal plasma state.

This was the first incidence of pattern forming from a chaotic state, (Chaos theory)

The first type of molecule to form in the universe has been seen in space                                                                                                      
Not long after the Big Bang, chemistry as we know it took its first baby steps

By Maria TemmingAPRIL 17, 2019 AT 1:00 PM

Helium hydride ions, thought to be the first type of molecule to form in the universe, have finally been spotted in space.

helium hyrdide ion

CHEMICAL RELIC  The elusive helium hydride ion, thought to be the first type of molecule to form in the universe, has been found in the planetary nebula NGC 7027 (shown in infrared light in this Hubble image).WILLIAM B. LATTER/SIRTF SCIENCE CENTER/CALTECH, NASA, ESA

These charged molecules, each made of a neutral helium atom and a positively charged hydrogen atom, first emerged within about 100,000 years after the Big Bang. Back then, the universe was composed almost entirely of hydrogen and helium, and helium hydride was the only molecule that these two elements could create when they collided.

Hydrogen was formed very early on in the evolution of the early universe.

Thefirstelement

The early universe (left) was too hot for electrons to remain bound to atoms. The first elements — hydrogen and helium — couldn’t form until the universe had cooled enough to allow their nuclei to capture electrons (right), about 380,000 years after the Big Bang.

Q: How did the first chemical element appear in the universe?

A: Immediately (much less than a second) after the Big Bang, the universe was both too hot and too dense for elements to form. Hydrogen didn’t appear until the universe had spread out — and subsequently cooled — enough for the first protons and neutrons, and later simple atoms, to form.

Between about 10-12 and 10-6 second after the Big Bang, neutrinos, quarks, and electrons formed. Protons and neutrons began forming shortly after, from about 10-6 to 1 second after the Big Bang. Within about 3 minutes after the Big Bang, conditions cooled enough for these protons and neutrons to form hydrogen nuclei. This is called the era of nucleosynthesis. Some of these nuclei combined to form helium as well, though in much smaller quantities (just a few percent). But after about 20 minutes, nucleosynthesis ended and no further nuclei could form.

The problem at this point was that electrons couldn’t stay in orbit around any atomic nucleus because of the immense heat and radiation still flooding the universe. Shortly after any neutral atoms would form (neutral atoms simply contain the same number of protons and electrons, and thus carry no overall charge), they were knocked apart again by energetic radiation. 

Finally, after 380,000 years or so, the universe had again expanded and cooled enough for conditions to favor electrons staying in orbit around atomic nuclei. This is when recombination occurred — neutral hydrogen (and helium) finally appeared because they could “recombine with” (hold on to) electrons without easily losing them to stray radiation. If that number sounds familiar, it should — 380,000 years after the Big Bang is also the time when the cosmic microwave background was generated, because the atoms that formed entered their lowest energy state quickly after, releasing excess energy in the form of photons that could finally travel freely through the universe without knocking into anything along the way. This is the light that makes up the cosmic microwave background.

https://astronomy.com/magazine/ask-astro/2018/12/the-first-element#

• 2 weeks later...

The Fountain of Life: Scientists Uncover the “Chemistry Behind the Origin of Life”

Vmedvil5

By Vmedvil5,
October 7 in Popular Science and News

Rate this topic *****

This may explain how early polymers formed into cellular structures

https://youtu.be/TlAQLgTwJ_A?t=1272

JeffreysTubes8

This is a very interesting subject and needs to be treated with scientific respect.

Try to contribute something scientific, so that the uninformed reader may find a new perspective on the creation of Life. 

Thanks.

Edited by write4u

On 10/30/2022 at 12:48 PM, JeffreysTubes8 said:

In case you couldn’t tell I’m obviously an atheist. I was raised a Catholic so I know how to come across as irritatingly Christian. Not to say there isn’t some quality in Church groups that have at least a reason to hangout. So I still involve myself with church groups as an atheist that feigns faith. 

I believe that the universe is around 13 billions years old though, do base a lot of my theory on bbt and relativity models I use math but when it comes to the existential nature of things you can’t beat Murphy’s law imho.

In case you couldn't tell, this is obviously about the scientific inquiry into the "origins of life", not about whether you are an atheist or a comedian. There is no need to hijack this tread when others want to have a serious discussion about an important scientific subject.

I am sure you can do a lot better than this childish and rude behavior. 

Show us your scientific accumen, not the worst side of your personality.

It does not become you.

Edited by write4u

44 minutes ago, atomsmasher said:

I'm learning but still i can not change the text size.

You need to highlight the words you want to change, then select from "Size" menu.

In the above quote I selected several separate letters to change. Do the same for  "bold" and "color" text.

It looks like this feature is disabled in "edit" mode, so make sure you use these changes on the first draft. 

If you are using an I-Pod, I can't help you.

Edited by write4u

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 3:38 PM, Vmedvil5 said:

I respond with this, you know the sad part is people actually believe these fairy tales are real like "Noah and The Flood".

Startling evidence for Noah’s Flood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon

The most interesting part of this is where did all this water come from?

Earth has been a snowball and a hothouse at different times in its past.

How Earth’s Climate Changes Naturally (and Why Things Are Different Now) | Quanta Magazine

The largest global-scale climate variations in Earth’s recent geological past are the ice age cycles (see infobox, p.B4), which are cold glacial periods followed by shorter warm periods . The last few of these natural cycles have recurred roughly every 100,000 years.

Recent estimates of the increase in global average temperature since the end of the last ice age are 4 to 5 °C (7 to 9 °F). That change occurred over a period of about 7,000 years, starting 18,000 years ago. CO2 has risen more than 40% in just the past 200 years, much of this since the 1970s, contributing to human alteration of the planet’s energy budget that has so far warmed Earth by about 1 °C (1.8 °F). If the rise in CO2 continues unchecked, warming of the same magnitude as the increase out of the ice age can be expected by the end of this century or soon after. This speed of warming is more than ten times that at the end of an ice age, the fastest known natural sustained change on a global scale.

6. Climate is always changing. Why is climate change of concern now? | Royal Society

The Snowball Earth hypothesis proposes that during one or more of Earth's icehouse climates, Earth's surface became entirely or nearly entirely frozen

Snowball Earth - Wikipedia

Snowball Earth: The times our planet was covered in ice

Edited by atomsmasher

The chemistry behind the origin of life started way before any flood or humans. 

The proper term is "abiogenesis" 

Abiogenesis

In biology, abiogenesis (from a- 'not' + Greek bios 'life' + genesis 'origin') or the origin of life is the natural process by which life has arisen from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds. The prevailing scientific hypothesis is that the transition from non-living to living entities was not a single event, but an evolutionary process of increasing complexity that involved the formation of a habitable planet, the prebiotic synthesis of organic molecules, molecular self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis, and the emergence of cell membranes. Many proposals have been made for different stages of the process.

1920px-Origin_of_life_stages.svg.png

Stages in the origin of life range from the well-understood, such as the habitable Earth and the abiotic synthesis of simple molecules, to the largely unknown, like the derivation of the last universal common ancestor (LUCA) with its complex molecular functionalities.[1]

more.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

This excellent lecture explains in simple, clear language the process and its evolution that started long before biological life appeared.

Start at 12:00 to avoid a lengthy introduction.

Edited by write4u
additional information

On 11/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, atomsmasher said:

Startling evidence for Noah’s Flood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon

The most interesting part of this is where did all this water come from?

Earth has been a snowball and a hothouse at different times in its past.

How Earth’s Climate Changes Naturally (and Why Things Are Different Now) | Quanta Magazine

The largest global-scale climate variations in Earth’s recent geological past are the ice age cycles (see infobox, p.B4), which are cold glacial periods followed by shorter warm periods . The last few of these natural cycles have recurred roughly every 100,000 years.

Recent estimates of the increase in global average temperature since the end of the last ice age are 4 to 5 °C (7 to 9 °F). That change occurred over a period of about 7,000 years, starting 18,000 years ago. CO2 has risen more than 40% in just the past 200 years, much of this since the 1970s, contributing to human alteration of the planet’s energy budget that has so far warmed Earth by about 1 °C (1.8 °F). If the rise in CO2 continues unchecked, warming of the same magnitude as the increase out of the ice age can be expected by the end of this century or soon after. This speed of warming is more than ten times that at the end of an ice age, the fastest known natural sustained change on a global scale.

6. Climate is always changing. Why is climate change of concern now? | Royal Society

The Snowball Earth hypothesis proposes that during one or more of Earth's icehouse climates, Earth's surface became entirely or nearly entirely frozen

Snowball Earth - Wikipedia

Snowball Earth: The times our planet was covered in ice

The existence of echinoderms negates a worldwide flood, cephalopods negate a worldwide flood, trees negate a worldwide flood negate a worldwide flood, herbaceous plants negate a worldwide flood, cacti negate a worldwide flood in fact the geology of  the planet negates a worldwide flood. The idea the grand canyon was created by a worldwide flood is just stupid and is only championed by people who are either ignorant, stupid or malevolent. Having the planet covered by water for over a year would completely destroy the ecosystem of the earth and most of complex life aquatic or terrestrial. YEC is the religion of stupidity and ignorance and nothing but a form of idolatry where a book becomes god and the worship of that book limits what a god can or cannot do.  

1 hour ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

Nobody likes a negative Nancy! Turn that frown upside down! Cheer up and be well on your way!

Moreover, floods have nothing to do with God or Abiogenesis that most likely happened in water (Fountain of Life).

As to the accumulation of water on earth, that is not unusual at all. Apparently most planets in the universe have H2O in their ecosystems. After all, hydrogen and oxygen are abundant elements throughout space and all planets have ecosystems that include common elements and chemistry.

Oh, the Irony. There are Likely Water Worlds Everywhere, but They’re Covered in ice and Impossible to Investigate

4581.jpg

Liquid water was originally thought to be relatively rare in the solar system.  But one of the most important discoveries of the last several decades of planetary science is that liquid water is extremely common, even outside of the orbit of a star that would allow for it on the surface of a planet or moon.  It just happens to be covered by a sheet of ice.  Scientists at the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) have now theorized about what the abundance of liquid water means for life throughout the galaxy, and whether it might be more common than originally thought.  

Currently the best theory for the origin of life begins underwater, in geothermal vents that do not require energy directly from the sun.  Such an origin story would potentially feasible on ocean worlds covered in a layer of ice, as it does not require any solar power for life to get started, notes S. Alan Stern, a planetary scientist at SwRI.

more...... https://www.universetoday.com/150633/oh-the-irony-there-are-likely-water-worlds-everywhere-but-theyre-covered-in-ice-and-impossible-to-investigate/

Moreover, it is hypothized that a lot of earth's water may have been deposited by Theia which collided with earth and probably caused the formation of the moon.

The formation of the Moon brought water to Earth

290px-Artist%27s_concept_of_collision_at_HD_172555.jpg

Theia, the Mars-sized planet which collided with the Earth and led to the formation of the Moon, came from the outer Solar System.

The cataclysmic collision which created the Moon brought water to the Earth, allowing life to develop, according to planetologists at the University of Münster, Germany.

260px-Big_Splash_Theia.gif 

Animation of collision between Earth (blue) and Theia (black), forming the Moon (red and gray). Bodies are not to scale.

The Moon was created 4.4 billion years ago when the Earth collided with a Mars-sized body named Theia. While a large amount of the resulting debris coalesced to form our Moon, some of the material fell to Earth and became part of the mantle, the rocky layer that surrounds the core. The team, led by Dr Gerrit Budde at the Institute of Planetology, made the discovery by investigating the composition of the metal molybdenum found in the Earth’s mantle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theia_(planet)#

Edited by write4u