Science Forums

The Fountain of Life: Scientists Uncover the “Chemistry Behind the Origin of Life”

Vmedvil5

9 hours ago, write4u said:

This is a wonderful little clip of an interview of Ricky Gervais by Stephen Colbert.

I respond with this, you know the sad part is people actually believe these fairy tales are real like "Noah and The Flood".

and then post this because it is hilarious, what's next "On the fifth day of Jesus's reign in the 1000 years he rode a velociraptor?"

957814.jpg

Edited by Vmedvil5

On 10/18/2022 at 8:08 PM, atomsmasher said:

Didn't know it could thank

Then I urge you to listen to this wonderful lecture by Robert Hazen. Trust me, this will make you look at nature in a different way. It changed my understanding of the concept of "stochastic probability modeling"

In any case it is a delightful lecture that gives you a brief glimpse into the evolutionary process.

Start watching at 12:00 to avoid a lengthy introduction.

And on a more speculative note, I believe the self-organization of microtubules may well be responsible for the onset of self-replication and the first dynamic steps in the emergence of abiogenetic life.  (see thread on "microtubules") 

On 10/19/2022 at 3:38 PM, Vmedvil5 said:

I respond with this, you know the sad part is people actually believe these fairy tales are real like "Noah and The Flood".

An ice age is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental and polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "ice age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials". In the terminology of glaciology, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in both northern and southern hemispheres. By this definition, we are in an interglacial period—the Holocene—of the ice age. The ice age began 2.6 million years ago at the start of the Pleistocene epoch, because the Greenland, Arctic, and Antarctic ice sheets still exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

When the ice melted, great floods occurred. This has occurred many times in earth’s history.

I am not saying that the biblical reference of a flood is true or not

All I am saying is that great great floods have occurred and currently the ice sheets are now retreating.

Edited by atomsmasher

10 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

However, I think this is crap, I would still wager that water only comes from ice on asteroids. 

Did you know that when two atoms of Hydrogen combined with one oxygen atom the combining reaction releases light while transforming into H2O: a “water molecule”.

Water is not an element listed in the periodic tables.

Oxygen and Hydrogen are.

The ice you see on that asteroid had to have made a transition from H2 & O at some point in the past.

or so it seems to me (:-

Edited by atomsmasher

On 10/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, atomsmasher said:

Origin of life

There are a few theories concerning the origin of life.

[1] natural selection assumes that the weak die off and the more resilient carry on

[2] random selection suggests that mutations take place, some succeed, and others fade away

I believe there is a third possibility called predetermined design.

image.jpeg.25477db03299283dd4e6c48fa656a2d2.jpegimage.jpeg.527fc7767c235b1a8216b8a9d67a5ea5.jpegimage.jpeg.b92e01e6dadfe0727319197d188effed.jpeg

When you look at the diversity of life you will see creatures with highly complex designs.

All of the creatures above are highly complex in design. I do not believe random selection or mutations could account for these complex designs. The same goes for birds, fish, and yes, mammals too.

I believe that aliens deliberately designed/created this diversity in life as some sort of experiment. We are in essence living in a test tube.

Someday they will reveal themselves, welcoming us into the universe of life.

(:-

Can you show any evidence to back up your "beliefs" I mean for sure everyone has to believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer... 

On 10/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, atomsmasher said:

First, you are entitled to your opinion.

But saying that I believe in False Gods and False Religion suggests you know me, or think you know me. you and I never met. I do not know you, you do not know me. We are strangers. Therefore you know nothing about my belief in "God" and/or "Religion".

In my view, God does indeed exist & there is only one God

Religions' exist

All the known religions have the Ten Commandments somewhere in their religious books.

All known religions have something in common. & the Ten Commandments is it

You sir are incorrect, there are many religions and not all contain the ten commandments. In fact only three of the many thousands of religions that have or currently exist have the so called "ten commandments" I do not have to know you to know that there is no empirical evidence for the existence of gods. Your assertions are just your baseless opinions about what you think god is. Your view is meaningless unless you can show the truth of it. You have already professed your belief in a god and the fact that religions exist has nothing to do with the veracity of the concept of a god, gods , or goddesses. You cannot prove the existence of gods nor can you make the claim that there is only one god or two or three or millions.

Anything that can be claimed to exist without evidence can be dismissed without evidence... Christopher Hitchens 

On 10/14/2022 at 4:38 PM, atomsmasher said:

1.     Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2.     Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3.     Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4.     Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

5.     Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

6.     Thou shalt not kill.

7.     Thou shalt not commit adultery.

8.     Thou shalt not steal.

9.     Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

All religious faith groups believe in the Ten Commandments. 

2 hours ago, Moontanman said:

You sir are incorrect, Your assertions are just your baseless opinions about what you think god is. existence of gods nor can you make the claim that there is only one god or two or three or millions.

"Anything that can be claimed to exist without evidence can be dismissed without evidence... Christopher Hitchens"

Your view is meaningless, period

Edited by atomsmasher
shorten

3 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

I would employ you to rethink your life choices.

“Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit,”

-Ephesians 5:18

My life choices are based in reality, reality is what it is, intervention by a god is something you have a burden of proof to satisfy. 

4 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

You do know that you’re going to hell, right?

For it is written in Revelation 20:15 that,

“Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.”

No, I do not think I am going to hell. I do not believe there is a hell to do to. Can you show me evidence of hell or even heaven? 

On 10/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, atomsmasher said:

Origin of life

There are a few theories concerning the origin of life.

[1] natural selection assumes that the weak die off and the more resilient carry on

[2] random selection suggests that mutations take place, some succeed, and others fade away

I believe there is a third possibility called predetermined design.

image.jpeg.25477db03299283dd4e6c48fa656a2d2.jpegimage.jpeg.527fc7767c235b1a8216b8a9d67a5ea5.jpegimage.jpeg.b92e01e6dadfe0727319197d188effed.jpeg

When you look at the diversity of life you will see creatures with highly complex designs.

All of the creatures above are highly complex in design. I do not believe random selection or mutations could account for these complex designs. The same goes for birds, fish, and yes, mammals too.

I believe that aliens deliberately designed/created this diversity in life as some sort of experiment. We are in essence living in a test tube.

Someday they will reveal themselves, welcoming us into the universe of life.

(:-

Do you have any evidence to back up these"beliefs" ? 

On 10/17/2022 at 10:54 AM, JeffreysTubes8 said:

Oh don’t give me that “happiness comes from within” crap.

I can tell you I was a lot happier in the middle class than the lower class. I was happier when my teeth were still nice. I was happier when I was thinner and got more attention from ladies (and there IS a correlation between looks and success with females) etc. These things are of the material world, and they come from “without” or, better put exterior factors.

Those kids were smiling, doesn’t mean they were nearly able to have the highest highs of those business men who committed suicide, they were just trying to look good for the camera so the money those business men had that went to waste could help better their own lives. Which didn’t and doesn’t happen in an unfair Godless material world, aka reality. Governed by physics. The only good that comes from physics is technological innovation, which doesn’t help starving children in Africa because of how it’s regulated. We need a Resource Based Economy, not a capitalist regulation of tech and resources. And we already have the nanotech to fix my teeth on the cheap, yet can I get that tech? No. And I can’t even think of why I couldn’t get cheaper technology that can better my life. I bet you could think of so many ways you could benefit from nanotech that can safely change your genes.

So god is real, if so why does this happen regularly in some areas? In fact before you can read this god has allowed several children to die in a horrific manner.

https://pin.it/qn4EsiS

If a god exists I say he is evil. 

Edited by Moontanman

12 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding...."

-Proverbs 3:5

You see? It's as if God already knew what you were going to say and armed me with a verse to counter it! A good Christian knows that every word in the Bible was put in it directly by God through His Apostles. 

You really need to stop quoting bible verses at me, the bible is not the truth it is a fairy tale for adults. 

12 hours ago, JeffreysTubes8 said:

Moontanman, I am very concerned for your spiritual well-being. Might I suggest getting into a good, bible-based Church. Faith Church is a good one, and there is probably one near you. There, you will learn about how Jesus died for our sins and why He's not only real, but that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Light. You ask for evidence, but is the computer you're using right now not real. Why then, would you question if God is real when He is just as tangible and apparent in your everyday life as the computer screen you're looking at right now. 

Save your concern for your own inability to decerne fantasy from reality. If god is just as tangible as my computer screen then you should have no problem show god to be real. Please do so. 

Edited by Moontanman