Science Forums

Word meaning survey (read #1 first)

CraigD

I recently encountered the following word in a popular electronic publication:

FULLERNESS

Without using any references (including responses to this thread), please provide your best guess at the meaning of this word.

Details and explanations will follow, once some survey data has been collected. (UPDATE: details and explanation at post #8)

Thanks in advance.

PS: The word is not to be found in popular dictionary searches engines, such as http://dictionary.com);

]Possibly speeling air for Fullerines.

]Possibly grammatical error in the attempt to describe the condition 'more full'. After that last slice of pizza, the girl had fullernous written all over her .(in that case I like fullerositudinality)

]Possibly a construction that refers to a person's familiarity with Buckminster Fuller. That guys fullernous gave him the idea for a sweet kite.

]Possibly refers to any structure using Bucky's geometry. Radar domes have fullernous up the whazoo, so let's make a circuit that looks like it

:Waldo:

I would say it's something to do with Buckminster Fuller myself, dunno why.
]Possibly speeling air for Fullerines.
With 2 winners at the guessing game, (more of a “reality check” than a valid survey, but my patience has rather modest limits) here’s the background:

The word FULLERNESS is from Nanotechnology Offers Exciting Possibilities But Health Effects Need Scrutiny, by projectcensored.org. They are referring to the C60 form or carbon, usually known as Fullerene, buckyballs or buckytubes

A google search turns up 360 hits on “fullerness”, (vs. 360,000 for “fullerene”) all or most being used as synonyms for “fullerene”, so projectcensored is not alone in their use of it.

My best guess is that “fullerness” came into usage as a transposition/replacement misspelling of “fullerenes”.

I have great respect for Projectcensored, it mission, and its management at Sonoma State University. Their editors clearly were a bit sloppy this time, however, though, to their credit, they enclosed “fullerness” in quotes throughout the article, indicating that they knew something was odd about it.

I hope it won’t have any negative impact on the reception of the article’s message. The possibility the C60, currently very rare and costly, but, if folks like the ones in this article are successful, not likely to stay that way, is a potent carcinogen, is something that should be carefully considered before we start building everything from bicycle frames to space elevators out of it!

• 2 months later...

ok this is really a guess without reading any other posts, but here goes - a scientist last name Fuller had some sort of hypothesis about something acting in a particular way, FULLERNESS describes how much a said thing is following the hypothesised behaviour...:cup:

EDIT:: thats why I thought scientist first off - Buckminster! I knew I had heard the name somewhere

P.S lol I didnt notice how old this was :cup: