Science Forums

Subliminal Message/Perception Ideas

Darnok

One could argue that all advertising is to some degree subliminal. You could do a comparison of a type of product and compare its advertising to its demographic of buyers. I bet you could compare two companies with similar products, but ads gearded towards different demographics and cultures. Cigarettes seem to come to mind, and I am sure there are tons of studies already done, so it would be mainly research.

Google

"subliminal advertising" 134,000 hits

"Clever Hans" 27,000 hits

Google Images

"subliminal advertising" 357 hits

There is a nice psychology test that ony shows tightly cropped pictures of pairs of human eyes. The subject then does a multiple choice for each picture to indicate the emotion of the model. Remarkably, 80% correct scores are commonplace.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Subliminal messages are my favorite. Especially in kids shows and movies.

Some of my favorites are...

Scooby doo- Scooby and shaggy would have the munchies all the time... and "the gang" would all go hang out in abandoned "haunted houses" *cough*crack houses*cough cough* And ingest powerful entheogens and see monsters running around the house... and then they'd imagine that they were solving a "mystery". When is reality, they were just trippin' out.

Little mermaid- First off, there was a penis on the front cover of the original release. Second, the priest pops a boner during the wedding. And what kind of a message did this movie send to little kids? Fall in love with a girl that you find lying naked on the beach... and make sure she doesn't say a god damn word.

The Smurfs- The smurfs were a culture that one chemist dude created inside of his head. He only saw them when he was messed up on some powerful psychoactive drugs. He would always rant about how he'd catch them one day... but he never did... and everyone just thought he was insane.... which he was... because he spent all of his time synthesizing hallucinatory chemicals and trying capture a village of imaginary, mushroom dwelling, blue creatures.

Sorry, I don't think any of that is relevant... but I thought that since we were on the whole subliminal message topic, I'd share some of my experiences with subliminal messages.

Scooby doo- Scooby and shaggy would have the munchies all the time... and "the gang" would all go hang out in abandoned "haunted houses" *cough*crack houses*cough cough* And ingest powerful entheogens and see monsters running around the house... and then they'd imagine that they were solving a "mystery". When is reality, they were just trippin' out.

Hey drip curl, hate to break it to ya but Scooby Doo is a comic. :naughty: