Science Forums

Help me out!

Pret

fellas,

i zipped files that are very important for my project using winrar and put a password for it. Now i misplaced the pasword and i don remember it too. Anybody here got ideas how i can rip the file outta it? any kind of help would be gratefuly acknowledged. I have to submit them in 10 days and i'm running short of time. Googling din help me find any worthwhile s/w.

pls help me out.... :hihi: :lol:

i zipped files that are very important for my project using winrar and put a password for it.
You mean you didn't keep the unzipped files?

How long was the password, and can you remember if it was only letters and all lower case or what?

they used to be very unsecure with their archives, but i think that they use 256 bit RSA algorithms to encrypt their password data. so yup, write a brute script and let it go, cuz you are not decrypting that RSA password, supposedly not even the government has cracked a 256 bit RSA key, but i think that all not really true, NSA has crazy technology...

Well, seems like 'm stuck up. I dont remember the length of the password and 'm using brute force. The estimated time to find a match is 3days and 17hours(as given by the software at the link provided by *Tormod*) Anybody got anyidea about making it faster??? i'm desperate. My semester results depend entirely on my project :eek2: :xx:

Pret, you have all my sympathy. Unfortunately I know very little about computers, so I'm not able to dispense any advice. I can just wish you luck. I've forgotten the password to one of my MS Word documents, and I was wondering if there is a way to retrieve it? It's not anything of vital importance, but it would be nice to have it back.

Pret, like Alexander says the only thing is brute force. Maybe you can find a faster PC to run it on. I think that's your only hope, except coming up with the password.

For the future I recommend against password protecting zip files...I know that doesn't help you at the moment though. Best of luck.

Anybody got anyidea about making it faster???
Does that program have any feature for load distribution? Even as simple as a start point parameter to avoid each machine trying the same combinations...

Tormod is right. You should have kept a normal copy of the files even if sending the protected zip was a good idea.

have you read up on zipcure at all?, 90 percent of passwords can be recovered in about an hour given right settings....

just suggesting, but you are still better off then trying to decrypt the RSA key lol :eek2: that would take you years, literaly, and for future reference, there is no need to password protect your archives, and once you start doing that, what you have is the kind of trouble you face, good luck, and hopefully you have learned from this entire experience...

• 4 weeks later...

Gosh, i'm sorry guys. Forgot to thank you all. I finally found out the password just in time. Had to use brute force as i din't remember the length or the presence of numbers, etc.

Thanks for that link pgrmdave. :) But i first had to find a crack to make that rar pass cracker work to find passwords above 3 characters. :)