Science Forums

Does the sun move ?

Dinesh_college

Additionally, the Sun orbits the combined center of mass of the solar system.

The Earth actually pulls at the Sun. This pull, however, is so small that the common center of mass in the Sun-Earth system lies close the the centre of the Sun. All of the planets tug at the Sun in this way, making the Sun wobble slightly. This is one way planets around distant stars are detected.

...and then, to make matters worse, the galaxy is orbiting the center of mass of a whole host of other galaxies, which in turns orbits the center of mass of a whole Supergroup of galaxies which in turns orbits... you get the picture, I'm sure.

You are now, as you sit behind your monitor, blasting away at one heck of a speed. Towards... uhm... somewhere. But it's hundreds of thousands of kilometers per hour.

...and then, to make matters worse, the galaxy is orbiting the center of mass of a whole host of other galaxies, which in turns orbits the center of mass of a whole Supergroup of galaxies which in turns orbits... you get the picture, I'm sure.

You are now, as you sit behind your monitor, blasting away at one heck of a speed. Towards... uhm... somewhere. But it's hundreds of thousands of kilometers per hour.

Absolutely Boerseun, and because there can be no absolute frame of reference, our velocity can even be much greater.

That binary star idea is one I've heard before, but thought was rubbish. However, I've just read through their website, and it is suprisingly sane, and very well funded. It is also plausible.

I've not done any of the maths nor checked the data they quote, but I can see that if you had a dwarf orbiting in the order of 8000 years+, human observation would have missed it if it was now far away. After all, we have only had telescopes for a few hundred years, and eye observations would have missed a not-bright object.

I do think, however, that IR observation would have found it. But has anyone looked? There is a heck of a lot of sky out there.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Well, I must say, the brown dwarf hypothesis isn't impossible.

It took a good while to find the tenth planet. If it has a compareable mass to the Sun, surely parallax could help to estimate where to look. I haven't read much about it.

I've always wanted to get a telescope for astronomical use, but have never managed to justify it to myself. However, a 6" or 8" reflector isn't going to pick up something that dark unless it moves across something behind whilst you are looking at it. Even then, it is likely to be marginal.

Better calculations of the precise position would be useful, and shouldn't be too hard to mock-up in a computer simulation. How precise it could be is another matter, however.

Now if I could just build that starship in the garage, we could know for sure.