Science Forums

Religious belief is declining faster than attendance

C1ay

• 11 months later...
a mutual understanding and want for peace. the only reason that war even exists is because someone wants to make it, for personal gain. they are obviously not the ones losing sons and daughters in Iraq.

I agree that religion and politics should remain separate disicplines.

I wanna add this to get back to the original post though: I think change with religious doctrines especially influenced amongst members of the same church argueing is the analogous equivalent to random genetic mutations creating evolution.

If within one set of ideals different ideas come from within the same church, the church itself begins to evolve and change as well. It happens in every religion (except fundamentalist ones).

My point is this.... until from within Islam there comes a "random genetic mutation" of doctrine there will never be peace. Change cannot be forced militarily it has to come from within as a progressive sway of Muslim clerics deciding that religion should be separated from violence and politics.

Wow. I'm not the only one who resurrects dead threads.
Well, raising the dead can be seen as a religious issue in and of itself! :turtle:
I wanna add this to get back to the original post though: I think change with religious doctrines especially influenced amongst members of the same church argueing is the analogous equivalent to random genetic mutations creating evolution.
Now that's an interesting point! There's an argument (I think you've brought it up elsewhere Dy), that religions that don't evolve, die. The oldest ones certainly have.
My point is this.... until from within Islam there comes a "random genetic mutation" of doctrine there will never be peace. Change cannot be forced militarily it has to come from within as a progressive sway of Muslim clerics deciding that religion should be separated from violence and politics.
Be careful: the generalizations you seem to be making about "Muslim clerics" here sound only representative of the extremist (fundamentalist? maybe), ones.

Use a smaller paintbrush.

Crass generalizations may be justified by admitting at least ten exceptions, :evil:

Buffy

Be careful: the generalizations you seem to be making about "Muslim clerics" here sound only representative of the extremist (fundamentalist? maybe), ones.

Use a smaller paintbrush.

Crass generalizations may be justified by admitting at least ten exceptions, :evil:

Buffy

Yeah youre right I should have been more specific there, I was hurrying.

But still the fact remains, yes fundamentalist muslim clerics must advocate change, but non-fundamentalist clerics must also be able to criticize fundamentalist clerics without fear of retaliation. The change must come from the religion as a whole to help itself as well.