Science Forums

A disturbing trend?

alxian

Unprotected sex is THE cause of unwanted pregnancies AND STD's. Simple education will help alleviate this problem. (and reduce the abortion rate, teen preganancy, AIDS, etc...Just look at Holland).

It will also alleviate the propagation of our species. Sounds like a smart way to design a culture. Guess what happens when there's not enough tax payers to support the elderly (or workers for the economy.)

And besides, if people don't need to commit to a marriage then what kids are born won't have two parents for long, if any. And any future generations won't likely be taught manners and ethics or other civilized attributes. This problem is already occuring and is not hypothetical. (Just look at America.)

Which brings me to another point, if people aren't (raised to be) responsible enough to only have sex when they're prepared to deal with the consequences, then how will they be responsible contraceptively? I'll tell you how, when the economy gets bad enough, and STD's run rampant enough that people are seriously terrified, then society will get responsible.

It will also alleviate the propagation of our species. Sounds like a smart way to design a culture. Guess what happens when there's not enough tax payers to support the elderly (or workers for the economy.)

So i supposed uncheck population growth is the way to go. I guess India has it in the bag...

And besides, if people don't need to commit to a marriage then what kids are born won't have two parents for long, if any. And any future generations won't likely be taught manners and ethics or other civilized attributes. This problem is already occuring and is not hypothetical. (Just look at America.)

I have seen so many gross generalizations, but this is one of the worst. You mean to imply that a single parent family CANNOT raise a polite or ethical or civilized individual? Some one should have told my momma...

Which brings me to another point, if people aren't (raised to be) responsible enough to only have sex when they're prepared to deal with the consequences, then how will they be responsible contraceptively? I'll tell you how, when the economy gets bad enough, and STD's run rampant enough that people are seriously terrified, then society will get responsible.

This is the same argument that the abstinence camp has been using for years, and guess what? It just does not work. The spread of abstinence only programs is growing, but unfortunatly they have had essentially no effect on teen pregnancy, teen, STDs, or teen abortion. Programs that teach contaception do. Period. Just simply look at the numbers.

Here are just a few of the many studies comparing Dutch and American results:

http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/factsheet/fsest.htm

http://www.piwh.org/ACCESS_rvwAdvisory3.html

Abstinence teaching is a pipe dream.

Actually, my generation (I'm 19) is much more responsible with sex than the generations before us, going back 50-60 years.

http://www.netwellness.org/ency/article/001516.htm

http://womenshealth.about.com/library/weekly/aa080800a.htm

I think that our education has led to us being much more responsible than other generations, and much more reasonable about sex. There is still a lot of sexual activity, but we are safer about it, and more understanding of the consequences.

I think other generations understood the consequences, they just were unsure about the measures they could take to prevent "unplanned events". And in that respect, it's just a matter of how willing the society is to accept a new trend (Condoms, birth control, and abstinence :)), these were all very alien things to "the generations before us" and were not typical everyday things that you saw or knew about. Now there are condoms right above the candy in the check-out lane in some grocery stores :).

Even I'm too young to remember what it was like in the old days (maybe infamous could chime in here! You're not old but you remember lots of old stuff!). A real eye-opener for me was seeing the condom-buying scene in the movie "Summer of '42": the societal pressure to avoid any discussion of sex from 1850 to 1966 was unbelievable. I agree with Dark and Dave: kids are *much* more responsible now and declining rates of teenage births and STDs prove this. I'm convinced its because this stuff is indeed all out in the open now.

It still amazes me though that the majority of condoms are purchased by women. We have a ways to go before we call you guys entirely *responsible.* :)

Cheers,

Buffy

I think other generations understood the consequences, they just were unsure about the measures they could take to prevent "unplanned events". And in that respect, it's just a matter of how willing the society is to accept a new trend (Condoms, birth control, and abstinence :)), these were all very alien things to "the generations before us" and were not typical everyday things that you saw or knew about. Now there are condoms right above the candy in the check-out lane in some grocery stores :).

heheh, DM - I remember lots of people who thought they could get pregnant from sitting on a toilet seat, sharing a hot tub, or even by oral or hand-stimulated sex.... they didn't seem to know what it was that caused the consequences they were so afraid of! I remember when I was in school - it would have been Junior Highschool - in New York - there was a group from Planned Parenthood out on the street in front of the school and they were standing out there handing out free condoms, and people made a big deal out of that... saying that we were going to be more "promiscuous" because we had condoms now... it was rediculous (ironically, it was these same folks who then turned around and sold me cigarettes repeatedly between the ages of 12 and 15! :)) That was only about 17 years ago!

YOU SMOKED ?!?! :)

You seemed to intelligent to do that :).

...But that is very ironic :).

Yea, I smoked for about 13 years. :) I quit about 5 and a half years ago, and now smoke really bothers me. Thanks for the complement, though. :) I think I did it because the people I hung out with and thought were cool were all into smoking and drinking and other things that were not so bright... I think of it as the least of the bad things I could have become involved with!

I think other generations understood the consequences, they just were unsure about the measures they could take to prevent "unplanned events".
Your right on both counts Dark Mind. Speaking as a senior, I know first hand how the other generation felt about these issues. Because the media stayed at arms length about these issues, it was viewed from a very personal perspective. And being understood as personal, the individual more or less dismissed the social implications. Only after the fact did the consequences become as in your face so to speak.