Science Forums

Just Like Mom Did

Buffy

Did I ever start that thread about doing things 'just like Mom did'? I was thinking about that the other night, as I was cooking spaghetti. (hence my mention of it now, since Buff jogged my memory)

So while those noodles were bubbling, two things struck me... WHY do I rinse the noodles before serving them?

WHY do I throw a noodle at the wall to check if it's done?

Answers to both questions... because that's what Mom always did.

Anyhow, thought I'd start a thread on it, but can't remember if I actually did it or not...

Well, here ya go Irish!

1) No, do not rinse the noodles. It washes away what's left of the good stuff in them. Just dish them straight from the pasta strainer.

2) If it sticks, its done. Now that al dente is all the rage, the practice is to pull one out and chew it and take them off when they are no longer crunchy. I think al dente is stupid though, and I still throw my noodles on the wall. Do not try this with bow-ties or macaroni though: it does not work.

3) [you didn't ask this, but i punish people for it] Do NOT put oil in the water when you cook the noodles. It seals the outside of the noodles so they don't cook evenly or as fast, and it does NOT stop them from sticking! This is incredibly important if you put any spices in with the water (which seems to be a well-kept secret!)

Cheers,

Buffy

I'm too young to have developed any long lasting traits as of yet, maybe in a few years I'll contribute here :circle:.
Horse hooey. 10-year-olds have long lasting traits. I know, I have one! I'm sure if you were honest enough with yourself you could think of SOME kind of annoying habit that you picked up from your mom. Or at least something she does that you say "I'll never do *that* when I have kids" (although of course you'll just be kidding yourself!).

Here's a typical one: Which way do you put the toilet paper roll on? Likely you do it the way your mom did it....

Not non-habit-forming,

Buffy

Horse hooey. 10-year-olds have long lasting traits. I know, I have one! I'm sure if you were honest enough with yourself you could think of SOME kind of annoying habit that you picked up from your mom. Or at least something she does that you say "I'll never do *that* when I have kids" (although of course you'll just be kidding yourself!).

Here's a typical one: Which way do you put the toilet paper roll on? Likely you do it the way your mom did it....

Not non-habit-forming,

Buffy

My mom doesn't do that, I do ;). And I put it on so it goes over the top and out the front (top spins towards you), who doesn't (intentionally)?

My mom loves garage sales, I hate them. I"m often caught walking home when my mom goes on those little sprees :(. (They're hours long!! I'm not kidding, I once walked home [5 miles] and got home before she did.)

She's late to many events (important or not). I am very punctual, a skill I learned from my Grandfather, with whom I lived for 3.5 years :rant:.

She hates cooking, I could put Emeril to shame :circle:.

She loves black licorice, I despise the very smell of it. She also likes onions (plain), the only way I can stand them are when they are in rings :eek:.

She isn't very well spoken and is kind of timid in conversation, I can be very outspoken and forthcoming in conversation.

She believes in God, I'm agnostic. (My scientific self compels me to be so :Crunk:)

I'm running out of stuff, give me more fuel and I'll burn the fire though :o.

I don't think that there's very much that I do similar to my mother, except for talk like her. My speech pattern is very similar (same pauses, changes in pitch, etc.) And we think about things similarly. And I don't trust any commercials, I know that there's always a catch, if something seems too good to be true, than it probably isn't true.

• 7 months later...

The only things that I can honestly attribute to mom are a love of music, my fondness for cooking from scratch, my love of gritts and greens, my total dislike of violence and refusal to participate in it(or deal with people who do), incessant nail bitting, and the constant gnawing of the inside of my lips and cheek. As these are the only things I can remember of her. (I was 8 the last time I saw her)

• 3 weeks later...