Science Forums

Bible's historical record

majordinkydau

Biochemist: The authors of the Bible were quite capable of giving more accurate measurements, see Ezekiel 43:13. According to the Bible pi equals three, make excuses till your eyes pop, there's no avoiding the fact.

So? The only 'fact' here is the fact that the Bible says pi is three. Refer to my previous post and disprove what the Bible has to say about pi for yourself.

The Bible is by no means an authority on science or mathematics.

The Bible also has a lot to say in favour of social practices that would be illegal if practised today. The 'fact' is that the Bible says it, but it would still be illegal and immoral if practised. So what's your point?

And that's the least convincing argument I've ever read.
Well, at least we now caught you telling a falsehood. My statement was clearly not an argument, it was a personal statement. Your statement was classic hyperbole. But since you don't allow for hyperbole in your normal usage, I guess you are now a liar.

Boerseun: I'm aware of the value of pi, the point is that the Bible's inaccuracy on this matter contradicts the following claim from post 12: "God is not limited and used several very flawed people to write a book over many centurys that no one has ever been able been able to refute".

The first books of the bible in the Old Testament were written from SUMERIAN tablets. And as the time passed they had been translated and re translated and suited to fit the Agenda of the exsisting State.

the idea of ONE GOD replaced the "GODS" who are mentioned briefly as the ELOHIM, the WATCHERS. In the original story, The gods came from a planet called NIBIRU, this planet has a 3600 orbit in and out of our solar system between mars and Jupiter. The sumerian cuniform texts and cylinder seal scrolls, speak of an age when the gods reigned.

At the height of the Sumerian age, great cites were functioning as abodes of the ANNUNAKI, and humans.

In the Sumerian saga, we find the god ENKI, whos symbol was the serpent, helping early man evolve by encouraging themto eat of the "Tree of Knowlege" which could very well have been a entheogen.

We also find ENKI again in the Sumerian tale of the flood,( which the bible story was taken from) speaking to the flood hero Noah from behind a reed screen warning him of the impending Flood, which was caused by the elctromagnetic pull of the incomming orbit of the planet Nibiru.

As far as the historical accuracy of the bible, i would agree, But the early books of the bible, are traslations of way older stories taken from the sumerians. MOSES would have heard of these stories in Egypt, where he grew up.

the monotheistic idea and doctrine was added after the fact.

Only a few scholars can read ancient cuniform text, but from the thousands of tablets that have been unearthed a picture of what was goin on back then comes into focus.

The Sumerians were obsessed with recording even the mundane rituals of everyday life, giving us a good idea of what it was like back then in their times.

Check out http://www.ancientx..com for more information.

Neuroflux

Boerseun: I'm aware of the value of pi, the point is that the Bible's inaccuracy on this matter contradicts the following claim from post 12: "God is not limited and used several very flawed people to write a book over many centurys that no one has ever been able been able to refute".

Oh....

You showed a flaw in Majordinkydau's reasoning. Well, I think amongst the lot of us we did a pretty good job of it in this thread and others. I haven't seen him around here for quite a while.

The first books of the bible in the Old Testament were written from SUMERIAN tablets. And as the time passed they had been translated and re translated and suited to fit the Agenda of the exsisting State.

the idea of ONE GOD replaced the "GODS" who are mentioned briefly as the ELOHIM, the WATCHERS. In the original story, The gods came from a planet called NIBIRU, this planet has a 3600 orbit in and out of our solar system between mars and Jupiter.....

Let me see if I get this:

1) The bible has been characerized as erroneous because, apparently, the author in one passage did not describe Pi in adequate accuracy, yet

2) A proof of the error is that Sumerian tablets (which to not apparently exist) source the Hebrew Gods from the planet if Nebiru.

It seems to me we are going to have to redefine what a "fact" is.

Biochemist: I'm surprised that you're getting in a flap over this, wouldn't you expect the Bible to be the work of storytellers, rather than that of engineers or mathematicians?
Well, I am not really in a flap. I really am chuckling. :D

I certainly think that the Bible was not generally penned by scientists (at least not in the sense that we use it today- Luke was a physician, for example) but that does not make the text inaccurate (other things might, but not that).

Accuracy is based on the intent of the writer. If I told my kids that the universe is billions and billions of miles across (when it is far, far, greater than that and by many orders of magnitude) this is not a lie, it is normal usage in the context of the normative knowledge of the recipient. It is not reasonable to characterize vernacular usage as "inaccurate". It is just vernacular usage.

Hence the chuckle.

Accuracy is based on the intent of the writer.

I'm not sure I understand Biochemist.I recently transcibed a few bars of music for a student of mine.My transcription had him playing the passage inaccurately even though my intent was otherwise.Maybe I misunderstand.Hopefully I'm not pulling this discussion too far off topic.

Ed

I'm not sure I understand Biochemist.I recently transcibed a few bars of music for a student of mine.My transcription had him playing the passage inaccurately even though my intent was otherwise....
Music and text are significantly different. Music has far less interpretive license than textual interpretation. With music (assuming you are reading from notes on a page) the only variance allowed by the artist is a small range of tempo, and a small range of volume.

In contrast, consider how we use the word "day", just in contemporary usage.

1) On you vacation in Fiji, what do you plan to do during the day?

2) These two cabernets are like day and night!

3) In my day, we would never have spoken to our parents like that!

4) At the end of the day, all facts will be known.

5) You will regret this one day.

6) We plan to spend 3 days in Chicago.

This list is certainly not complete even for contemporary usage, and it includes no examples of archaic usage (of which I am sure there are many).

Note that none of the usages above suggest that a "day" is 24 hours (which it certainly is) although usage #6 gets close. We expect the listener to figure out what the speaker meant, and we do it all of the time. A significant fraction of spoken language is idiom.

Language is a far looser descriptor of content than music.

-The Assyrian King Ashurbanipal (reigned 669-631 BC) collected a library of thousands of cuneiform tablets in his palace at Nineveh. They recorded myths, legends and scientific information. Among them was the story of the adventures of Gilgamesh, a legendary ruler of Uruk, and his search for immortality. The Epic of Gilgamesh is a huge work, the longest literary work in Akkadian (the language of Babylonia and Assyria). It was widely known, with versions also found at Hattusas, capital of the Hittites, and Megiddo in the Levant.

This, the eleventh tablet of the epic, describes the meeting of Gilgamesh with Utnapishtim. Like Noah in the Hebrew Bible, Utnapishtim had been forewarned of a plan by the gods to send a great flood. He built a boat and loaded it with everything he could find. Utnapishtim survived the flood for six days while mankind was destroyed, before landing on a mountain called Nimush. He released a dove and a swallow but they did not find dry land to rest on, and returned. Finally a raven that he released did not return, showing that the waters must have receded.

This Assyrian version of the Old Testament flood story was identified in 1872 by George Smith, an assistant in The British Museum. On reading the text he

... jumped up and rushed about the room in a great state of excitement, and, to the astonishment of those present, began to undress himself.'

pasted from ancientx.com

Neuroflux

To add to the 'day' issue above, in Genesis the story goes that it was raining for fourty days and fourty nights. In old Hewbrew, that was a term for 'a Very Long Time'. Yet, you get biblical literalists who are trying to figure out how Noah could shoehorn enough food into his wooden boat in order to feed these animals for the fourty days it rained. You even get nutcases like Kent Hovind who claims that Noah only took on juvenile animals as cargo, in order to save space.

I recently read, a interesting theroy that it wasnt animals at all noah took on the flood, it was vials of DNA.

If certai theories are correct, that there was highly advanced beings back then, then this would have enabled Noah, to save life from the impending doom.

After the flood, another Lab was built and the animals were re establsihed on the earth.

It is just a theroy, but in a long stretch makes sense.

Neuroflux