Science Forums

Bible's historical record

majordinkydau

..., but in a long stretch makes sense.

Neuroflux

Kinda like believing in a religion.

As to the Bible's historical record, it has directly led to archeological discoveries, for example Jericho. The problem lies in then equating the truth of an historical item in the Bible with the truth of demons and so forth that one also finds in the Bible. :rolleyes:

No scientist has ever found evidence of the city's crumbled walls – until now. New archeological information suggests that investigators have been looking in the right place, but at the wrong time. Join experts as they return to the Jericho site and focus their examination 300 years earlier in the past, uncovering startling evidence that strongly suggests the walls of the city did indeed collapse.

http://shopping.discovery.com/product-54717.html

Question to the Original Poster, have you ever considered the "fact" that the bible may of set it's own end date. While predicting a better living for all who want a better living. Not just a better life; with material things, but more or less a better way of life; with brethren, love, peace, harmoney, etc etc.

The christians call it heaven, some call it paradise, cosmologists(eh) call it the age of aquarius, and last but not least(definatly not the be all, end all [folks, I wouldn't bet the farm on these people]) the naysayers call it rebellion. Either way, it was writen in the book you have faith in, so what do you think?

• 4 months later...
I am not sure what your point is. The Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates the Old Testament's Genesis flood story. There are many books that compare the Old Testament with secular history.

I watched an interesting show on one of the science channels called The Naked Archaeologist wherin the author followed a string of archaeological clues relating to the book of Exodus. He correlated all the events to the eruption of Santorini in 1800 BCE, from all the plauges to the parting of the sea. He translated the name of the sea that was parted to the Sea of Reeds and located ruins on a mountain different than the one commonly considered Sinai.

I haven't yet tracked down the particulars of the program on the web, but I'm still working on it. Anyone else see this program? :)

I watched an interesting show on one of the science channels called The Naked Archaeologist wherin the author followed a string of archaeological clues relating to the book of Exodus. He correlated all the events to the eruption of Santorini in 1800 BCE, from all the plauges to the parting of the sea. He translated the name of the sea that was parted to the Sea of Reeds and located ruins on a mountain different than the one commonly considered Sinai.

I haven't yet tracked down the particulars of the program on the web, but I'm still working on it. Anyone else see this program? :D

Here's a link to the author of the program:

http://www.simchaj.ca/blog/_archives/2006/2/9/1752969.html

This just in; researcher believes he has located the Biblical cities of Saddam and Gommorah.

From the video report it is not clear if the researcher is attempting by the discovery to claim proof of God because of historical facts in the Bible being true, but he mentions some pot sherds that resemble (or are) tecktites. He then mentions they form from nuclear explosions - which is true - , but fails to also mention meteor impacts form tektites as well.

http://www.krqe.com/video/expanded.asp?ID=5418

Back on the research into the Exodus, Simcha explains the plague of the 'red waters' as a gas release similar to what turned the lake red in Africa the day before CO2 bubbled out and killed hundreds. This also explains the death of all first born (who were priveledged) Egyptians, who Simcha explains slept on low beds, wheras 'commoners' slept on roof tops and so were not affected by the heavier-than-air gas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4285878.stm

:D

I watched an interesting show on one of the science channels called The Naked Archaeologist wherin the author followed a string of archaeological clues relating to the book of Exodus. He correlated all the events to the eruption of Santorini in 1800 BCE, from all the plauges to the parting of the sea. ...

Anyone else see this program? :cup:

I am relying on memory when I attribute Simcha Jacobovici with assigning the 1800 BCE date to Santorini's eruption. Tonight on a program on volcanos they only said that the Santorini eruption was "around 1600 BCE." I wanted a firm date, like that of Vesuvius destroying Pompei, but apparently there is a lot of room for disagreement. :doh: :eek: :phones:

However, the exact date of the eruption is unknown. Recent opinion based on dendrochronology and radiocarbon dating indicates that the eruption occurred between about 1650 and 1600 BCE. These dates, however, conflict with the usual date range from archaeological evidence, which is between about 1550 BCE and 1500 BC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santorini

:cup:

PS Has anyone else seen the program I refer to? :naughty:

I watched an interesting show on one of the science channels called The Naked Archaeologist... Anyone else see this program? :eek:

Sorry, have not. :(

It looks pretty interesting though...

The Naked Archaeologist

Fast, funny and irreverent (think Ali G. meets Indiana Jones), he investigates extraordinary new finds and asks the questions we all want to know the answers to: Why is it so bad to be called a Philistine? Was Jezebel really that sexy? And where do you stop for a good falafel when you’re on your way to find the real Mount Sinai?
“My goal,” says Jacobovici, “is to demystify the Bible in general, and archaeology in particular, to brush away the cobwebs and burst academic bubbles.”

I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. :eek:

Sorry, have not. :)

It looks pretty interesting though...

The Naked Archaeologist

“My goal,” says Jacobovici, “is to demystify the Bible in general, and archaeology in particular, to brush away the cobwebs and burst academic bubbles.”

I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. B)

If you have two eyes, keep them both open. :) The expressions on the faces of some of the 'experts' that Simcha puts the logical screws to is every bit of that of a deer caught in headlights. Entertaining rigorous archaeology at its best! :cup: