Science Forums

Urantia Book - Who Could've Hoaxed This?

Turtle

Do you think Urantia Book is a hoax?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Urantia Book is a hoax?

• Yes; completely fictitious
    • No; it is written by "angels"
    • I can't decide
    • Some other option the poll lacks; will expound in thread

Buffy: I'm one of those who cant be bothered reading it, is there any hint as to why it (the "miracle") should be of general interest?

Buffy stepped out for a moment, but I can help you. :hihi:

No; the book is of no general interest whatsoever. I have read it for you and those like you. :rose: No gratuity necessary, please! You embarrass me Sir by offering. :cup: :cup: :)

Okay, thanks.

It might be interesting to review a list of famous (and not so famous) people to whom miracles have been attributed, there seems to have been a period when miracles were pretty much a necessary component of respectability.

• 4 weeks later...

I began reading it upon the goading of a friend of mine...

I couldn't finish it. Absolute trash.

But then again, I have my own personal view on the supernatural.

I could be wrong.:turtle:

Who knows, maybe GOD is an arch-super-meta-macro-dictator in some kind of hyperdimensional galaxy inhabited by his warrior general angels, spending eternity warring with laser-toting demons.

Or whatever it was about, I couldn't give less of a f-ck

• 1 month later...

Freshest rumor I have heard in years on the topic of who hoaxed the Urantia Book, albeit a bit misplaced. Here it is, if only slightly out of class. >>

The Urantia Book (UB) was allegedly channeled by Wilfred Kellogg and edited by William Sadler, the founder of the Urantia Book Fellowship (UBF). Wilfred Kellogg was the son of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg. The link between William Sadler and Dr. John Harvey Kellogg is that William Sadler got his start working for Dr. Kellogg and then basically joined the Kellogg family by marrying the sister of Wilfred Kellogg's wife.

I have never read The Urantia Book. I'm sure that the book is probably very dangerous. I bet that the strange thoughts in the book would have an evil influence on many people. Consider the bizarre consequences that developed by just being associated with John Harvey Kellogg. My strong warning to you is be satisfied with reading the reviews of the book on the internet.

Shubee

Kellogg ya say!? Any one else see The Road To Wellness with Matthew Broderick? B):hyper::turtle:

I do not seek monetary reward, for I am called to a greater glory! Here at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, the spirits soar, the mind is educated, and the bowels...the bowels are born again!
The Movie Sounds Page: The Road To Wellness starring Matthew Broderick, John Cusack, and Anthony Hopkins

When did this alleged 'channelling' take place? Inquiring minds want to know. B) :bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I heard it was also Kellogg but until today I didn't know who was in on it with him. I read the book in the late 90's and it was a hell of a read but still I would class it as science fiction. I don't know how I got through it but I did cause that sucker is one big book. :turtle:

Yes I heard it was also Kellogg but until today I didn't know who was in on it with him. I read the book in the late 90's and it was a hell of a read but still I would class it as science fiction. I don't know how I got through it but I did cause that sucker is one big book. :turtle:

Props for shear determination Budhabee! :Alien: Do you recall where you heard/read about Kellogg's involvement? Inquiring minds want to know! Anything in particular in the text that screamed hoax for you? :evil: Thanks for replying. :rotfl:

When I first saw this thread I though it was to do with Unarius - Explaining the Joining of Science and Spirit , a show that used to appear on local cable (maybe it still does). Another reference: Unarius Academy of Science, El Cajon, California

That human beings live on Mars has been proven during a psychic/mental voyage to the planet Mars when the author visited Martian cities, located underground, and telepathically communicated with a Martian scientist. The information Ernest Norman received is now being validated by thousands of photographs of the planet Mars, returned by the Pathfinder, Global Surveyor, Spirit & Opportunity Rovers, and Mars Express space probes.

The Urantia Book seems about as believable and as well backed up by testable hypotheses.

http://www.unarius.org/mov/Uriel's%20Message%20for%20Earth.rm

More on the Kellogg/Urantia hoax connection. :eek:

The religion of Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, health pioneer

From: Vic Lloyd, review of URANTIA : The Great Cult Mystery (written by Martin Gardner, published by Prometheus Books, Amherst, New York, 1995); review posted on "Manussa: A Secular Rationalist Humanist Page", website of The Manussa Group (http://www.uq.net.au/slsoc/manussa/qh33_2_8.htm; page viewed via Archive.org as it appeared 1 January 2003):

...the two men most responsible for [the bringing forth of the URANTIA Book were], "two ex-Seventh-day Adventists, Dr William Samuel Sadler (1875-1969), a famous Chicago psychiatrist, and his brother-in-law Wilfred Custer Kellogg (1876-1956)..."

For this next link you better have read the Urantia if for no other reason than you will be needing experience using butt loads of perseverance. >> The Moyer Papers

Chapter 16 ...Sadler described the Sleeping Subject as "a hard-boiled business man, member of the board of trade and stock exchange." Wilfred most definitely was not "a hard-boiled businessman." He declined to join his uncle in "hard-boiled" business decisions. Wilfred was never a member of the Chicago Board of Trade, nor was he stock broker, although he handled the issue and transfer of stock for his uncle, an executive position, not a stock trade position. Wilfred could not have been the Sleeping Subject on these grounds...

Ohh...guess that clears things up...not. Talk about cracked flakes. :clue: :cup: :cup:

Pease porridge hot,

Pease porridge cold,

Pease porridge in the pot,

Nine days old;

Some like it hot,

Some like it cold,

Some like it in the pot,

Nine days old.

:sherlock:

• 5 months later...

Dissenting viewpoint here.

Here is one who absolutely believes the Urantia Book is real. The earlier parts are more difficult reading due to the remote and complex concepts, but as you get further in the book gets proportionally closer to the material realm (it chronologically illustrates the journey from God down to man, as opposed to the opposite direction) and becomes clear and concise, in my view.

Someone in this thread generalized about how they've noticed UB readers all seem nuts (or something similar). Another called the material mumbo-jumbo (or similar). Everyone obviously has to come to their own conclusion, but I have neither found other readers to appear nuts (not that I've met many) nor did I find the content to resemble mumbo-jumbo...

It is not a hoax.

And your evidence for this statement is...?

Well, there's a loaded question... :lol:

Whatever evidence could I provide separate from having actually read it myself over the course of decades, investigated its origins and history (which I continue to do out of curiousity and interest), and come to my own personal conclusion? I certainly didn't rely on anyone else's opinion to form my own conclusion.

No one could hope to answer the question you've asked in a manner satisfactory to someone who hasn't read the book for themselves.

However, I am glad to answer specific questions on my views or engage in a healthy discussion/debate relating to specific issues you (or others) may have with the material/history/etc. If you're interested...

I have not read this book. In fact, I just recently heard of it for the first time. Based on your following statement from above:

...(it chronologically illustrates the journey from God down to man, as opposed to the opposite direction)...

It is not a hoax.

If this is the general premise of the book, than it is nothing more than a work of fiction since the existance of god is unprovable. It becomes pure conjecture. This is the primary reason why you cannot provide evidence to support your claim that it is not a hoax.

I'm sure it's compelling, and probably has some valuable attributes that include meaningful advice for living your life in harmony and balance. And obviously, you can choose to believe anything you want. That doesn't make it real.

Well, there's a loaded question... :lol:

Of course.:0353:
........However, I am glad to answer specific questions on my views or engage in a healthy discussion/debate relating to specific issues you (or others) may have with the material/history/etc. If you're interested...
I have no specific questions at all. My concern is related to the odds that an alien civilisation, or a God, would choose such a mundane means of communicating such vital knowledge.

My interest is why any rational person would choose to believe somthing that has no independent substantiation and has, if I recall, several statements/claims that fly in the face of accepted science.

If you wish to discuss that point I would be interested.