Science Forums

Urantia Book - Who Could've Hoaxed This?

Turtle

Do you think Urantia Book is a hoax?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Urantia Book is a hoax?

• Yes; completely fictitious
    • No; it is written by "angels"
    • I can't decide
    • Some other option the poll lacks; will expound in thread

[___I recommend everyone read it. Very stimulating & the mystery of its authors unsolved.

What a wonderful suggestion. If education is the business of life, then as we become aware, then try to understand, and then take action in our lives, we can appreciate our lives in doing the best that we can. :rolleyes:

___I once wrote a paper justifying agriculture as an inspired theme in Anna Karenana, & similarly The Urantia book includes such a section on woodworking. The last third of the book covers the life & times of Jesus & therin expounds that his carpentry lay in boatbuilding. At the time I first read it, I was mastering carpentry as a journeyman so I found it interesting. The claim is made that improved boat designs made by Jesus continue to this day in the region.

___

___I note one of the writers' contrivences comes into play in regard to numbers. Sometimes they right numerals "10,000,000" planetary orbs or such, & other times they write it out longhnad "seven hundred twenty thousand" such & such cherubic administrators.

___A point of error in what I said above; the number written in long-hand is "one thousand seven hundred twenty eight". Why write it out long? Well, I beleive it is an esoteric reference for members only; a reference to base twelve math. Writing "one thousand seven hundred twenty eight" in base twelve numerals looks like this - 1,000 -. Someone recently told me Tolkien has base twelve references in the Lord of the Rings series; anyone else hear that?

___I haven't heard anyone say yet, but the descriptions of human development, while they invoke gods & angels as the movers, present a view we now call puncuated equilibrium. The book is forward thinking in many regards, as good science fiction always is. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

:eek2: :eek2: ___What, no ardent defenders of this mammoth tome? I saw some discussion elsewhere on the SciFi genre, & I again suggest this book for those of you that enjoy a good Science Fiction read. Mind you it's over 3,000 pages & tortuous prose :eek: , but worth it as a literary adventure :QuestionM

___As I maintain the Urantia is a hoax, I wish to put it in context with other hoaxes of the same ilk as the Bible, Koran, Book of Morman, Bhagavad Gita, Egyptian Book of the Dead, etc. ad nauseum.

___The reason Urantia has failed to produce a religion -inspite of allying itself to Jesus - is that technology has advanced to a level such that previously 'secret' knowledge is commonly available to the masses. More & more people exposed to TV seeing the unbelievable in a believable context with the full knowledge it is smoke & mirrors & parlor magic.

___The 'secret' knowledge is knowing how to do the tricks. Saw a lady in half; nail a guy to a cross. Perform the miracle; practice & use accomplices. Get your accomplices by any clever means & then travel around with them living off the charity of trusting people. Tell the audience 'awe shucks; don't mind what I say I'm just a simple person or tell em' pay close attention or else. Either way, you have an audience.

___If you want a great Intelligent Design story, read the Urantia where it's all quantified.

Have a Great Day! :evil:

___As I maintain the Urantia is a hoax, I wish to put it in context with other hoaxes of the same ilk as the Bible, Koran, Book of Morman, Bhagavad Gita, Egyptian Book of the Dead, etc. ad nauseum.

Have a Great Day! :evil:

So do you think that if the bible was not created when we were somewhat more 'primitive' such us another few thousand years, that it would have just been discarded as rubbish like Urantia?

And yes I will have a great day, thanks :eek: You have a great day to friend :eek:

So do you think that if the bible was not created when we were somewhat more 'primitive' such us another few thousand years, that it would have just been discarded as rubbish like Urantia?

And yes I will have a great day, thanks :eek: You have a great day to friend :eek:

___Well...not exactly. The Bible is a compendium, so if the magician Jesus never came to town, then there wouldn't be any Jesus stories in the Bible. Of course not everyone discards Urantia as rubbish; in that case my discussion here is moot.

:evil:

ok well what I was going to add which I will now is that if Jesus came along now do you think most people would think he is a fraud? of course there are going to be the odd beleiver in a group but Im talking major majority of the world so that he could make same impact

ok well what I was going to add which I will now is that if Jesus came along now do you think most people would think he is a fraud? of course there are going to be the odd beleiver in a group but Im talking major majority of the world so that he could make same impact

Yes correct. Pull back the curtain & see the Wizard for what it is. Follow the dog.

• 3 weeks later...

The Urantia Book, I think, comes from Chicago.

It's a thousand pages of Gobbledy Gook.

Somebody obviously had way too much time on their hands:(

Of course, The Enlightened Turtle found the Error that disproves the whole damn thing. They DIDN'T understand PLATE TECHTONICS, (spelling):cup:

Who could have hoaxed this??? I think the more important question WHY would somebody hoax this???:cup:

There are some seriously deranged people hiding in the woodworks!

___I just re-read this thread in order that I don't re-pete myself, so now on to another Urantia topic found elsewhere. It is reincarnation. The Urantia addresses reincarnation directly in regard to other religions such a Hindu, & discounts/denies those views; in short, it says you get one shot at living as a human. However, hidden amongst the 3,000 pages, the authors say in one sentence that "some" people reincarnate "once" & in another well buried senetence the authors further allow that "some" people reincarnate three times. These brief allowed contradictions have qualifying material before & after them that say how "rare" these reincarnations are & imply it certainly isn't going to apply to "you" the reader.

:cup:

I think everyone is missing the point. If the author believes it was a revelation, than the text at the very least was a creative inspiration that stemmed from within. He found a way to make use of some of his higher human potential to teach/synthesize things that he did not necessarily learn from outside. Christ said he would leave behind a comfortor, the spirit of truth; one has no need for anyone to teach you as the spirit will teach one all things. Scientist are often biased to think that the only reality is what their eyes see, and do not always realize that things also appear from within. It was pprobably difficult to translate these fast/dense integrated memory signals, which is why the writing is hard to read. All the contemporary theories started within the imagination of some scientist and was only later proven out with math, data and logic.

I think everyone is missing the point. If the author believes it was a revelation, than the text at the very least was a creative inspiration that stemmed from within.

___Which "one" of every"one" do you mean? is missing the point?

___As I stated early on, I assert this is the work of a committe of authors, not a single author. Moreover, I assert(ed) these authors do not think what they are writing is divinely inspired; they mean to write something so as to convince the reader it is divinely inspired. That is why I say it is a hoax.

___Just curious Hydro; have you read it?

if Jesus came along now do you think most people would think he is a fraud? of course there are going to be the odd beleiver in a group but Im talking major majority of the world so that he could make same impact

Jesus wasn't believed by the majority in HIS time. It wasn't even until he was on trial that he himself declared to the politicians that he was the Messiah. He waited until he was at the absolute bottom, when he was abandoned by his followers and facing certain execution. Basically he didn't declare himself to society's leaders until the threat of establishing a religion had passed.

"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' " – Luke 16:31