Science Forums

Microsoft, a new form of energy or are they advertising open-source technology?

This is more of a standup act then anything else, but I'm not a standup comedian, and this will not play well with certain people, since it is hard to get the intricacies of the language, but in any case i have to stop this great irritation, so here it comes:

I saw this comercial on TV last knight, it was about this 8 year old boy who wants to become an astraunaut, so his grandpa bought him a telescope, it goes something like "... Andromeda, yup, seen it, (some wird star which name i cant remember at the moment), never knew it was there, but seen it. We just type in the name of the star, and it appears right in front of us..." and this all ends with a phrase "... a world of devices that runs on Microsoft Windows." Well, I'm more upset about the advertising industry then microsoft really, you'd think that if you pay them millions of dollars, they can shoot something 3/4 of a way decent, but not there yet, sloppy and with no technical expertise at all... Could be me, but think about it yourself; aside from the point that if you type in a name of a star to search, without any kind of external connections, that telescope will never be able to find it, so it must just bring pictures (it will either need a live GPS feed to know its location in relation of a certain star or solar system or a galaxy... whatever, or it will need a connection to the internet that would find the closest center that has a connection to the GPS system and find its location that way (there is a few crazier possibilities, but i wont even bother with them)). Basically that last phrase got me thinking of what this commetcial was advertising, "...world of devices that runs on windows", now thats an interesting choice of words there, is windows a new form of energey that has been dicovered, and was immediately converted to power the telescope? not likely, unless i've missed a huge technological leap while i was at work yesterday, but discovery and utilization? look at how long we knew about electromagnetic forces (that would be pre 17 century at least (actual use of magnets if anyone bothers to look up)), but we've been only utilizing them for the last what a hundred something years... My question is, what is that add made to prove? Is it false advertisement made to confuse people, well, they have definately shown just how little they know about anything, could this perhaps be an antimicrosoft commercial to promote alternative solutions? Then why does microsoft spend millions of dollars on it? or could this perhaps be one of those hidden message commercials...

Hey alexander, you seem to be up on your anti-Microsoft stuff. I saw something on TV a few months ago and was wondering if its real or an urban legend. The show was a computer tech show, which lends legitimacy to the report, but it just sounds too "urban legendish" to be real. The report said that Gates was attempting to copyright (or trademark) the digits 1 and 0. I can't see how that could possibly be done. Heard anything about this?

It is not just any kid. It's a Black kid. We all know how the slums (er, Inner Cities) are hotbeds of intellectual inquiry. Ditto minorities, drug addicts, alternate sexual orientation, femlib, jocks, cripples... anything but an objectively qualified entry into MIT or Caltech. Rather than foster brilliance, we allocate for its suppression.

There are many software and hardware interfaces to telescopes. The good ones have it all built in - GPS for latitude, longitude, altitude; Colorado for UT, motors to aim and track the scope. Punch in what you want and it goes there from an internal database. A separate Windows interface in 2005 is rather laughable, IMHO. One can imagine a kid trying to obtain something useful out of BillGates' slow buggy hairball bloatware...

Child, "Daddy, why are all the stars disappearing?"

Father, "Son, reboot right now!"

The kid gets a screen saying "Windows is shutting down" and, as he waits for something to happen, the whole unverse bluely disappears. How is that for a commercial?

God says, "use Linux."

Hey alexander, you seem to be up on your anti-Microsoft stuff.

I cant stand Microsoft comercials, because they have no idea what they are talking about in there...

copyright (or trademark) the digits 1 and 0

it wouldnt surprise me if he did, it just goes with the list of other stupid ideas that gates has come up with, let me name a few: software pattents, trying to pattent a for statement, trying to pattent windows (having stolen many ideas from Mac), claiming google to be the latest fad, claiming that 640K of memory would be enough for anybody while trying to make fun of ipods in 1981, claiming that their success has really been based on partnerships from the very beginning, trying to compete with google search engime on their 140-170 IIS servers, claiming that Microsoft HAS search technology, introduce a new version of its Internet Explorer Web browser with stronger features to protect against viruses with supported Active X, predicting nearly free hardware in the next already 9 years...

God says, "use Linux."

Havent heard it from him directly, but I'll take your word for it ;)

Hope that gets added to the bible in the next couple of years

Exclusive edition of "Prayers for Linux (From Preyer for the new Hardware to have a Working Driver to a Preyer for a Working Kernel)", now that spounds like the first religious book i'd ever get ;)

Hey, did a quick Google and found it! Of course, this doesn't mean it's for real, but at least I wasn't hallucinating!

"Microsoft Patents Binary System

REDMOND, WA -- In what CEO Bill Gates called "an unfortunate but necessary step to protect our intellectual property from theft and exploitation by competitors," the Microsoft Corporation patented the numbers one and zero Monday. "

(http://www.twoguys.org/~gregh/ms/ms-1-0.html)

I haven't read the rest of the page yet.

"Microsoft Patents Binary System

REDMOND, WA -- In what CEO Bill Gates called "an unfortunate but necessary step to protect our intellectual property from theft and exploitation by competitors," the Microsoft Corporation patented the numbers one and zero Monday. "

(http://www.twoguys.org/~gregh/ms/ms-1-0.html)

LOL, Greg Hankins is one of the founders of our local LUG, the Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts. Move up a directory for some more old MS humor. I also recommend the Bastard Operator From Hell at Greg's site, Unix guys will really get a laugh out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntoo is pretty good i agree, adnaan, nice little debian-based distro that is easy to install and is yet quite a bit efficient, but easy to use for regular users. Like mandrake back in its day, but better because of it uses debian PMS (apt-get) and i believe has a gui built for the user interaction (easy user interaction). oh and LINUX is ALWAYS the answer (just read my signature :hihi:)

I cant stand Microsoft comercials, because they have no idea what they are talking about in there...

it wouldnt surprise me if he did, it just goes with the list of other stupid ideas that gates has come up with, let me name a few: software pattents, trying to pattent a for statement, trying to pattent windows (having stolen many ideas from Mac), claiming google to be the latest fad, claiming that 640K of memory would be enough for anybody while trying to make fun of ipods in 1981, claiming that their success has really been based on partnerships from the very beginning, trying to compete with google search engime on their 140-170 IIS servers, claiming that Microsoft HAS search technology, introduce a new version of its Internet Explorer Web browser with stronger features to protect against viruses with supported Active X, predicting nearly free hardware in the next already 9 years...

Havent heard it from him directly, but I'll take your word for it :hihi:

Hope that gets added to the bible in the next couple of years

Exclusive edition of "Prayers for Linux (From Preyer for the new Hardware to have a Working Driver to a Preyer for a Working Kernel)", now that spounds like the first religious book i'd ever get :sad:

We all like a good laugh at Bill Gates but it's only because deep down we're all jealous

I wouldn't mind being that guy who made a bunch of stupid comments but who also happens to be the richest guy on earth

Dazed, first of all, this is the first time i see your posts in this section, so Welcome, nice to have you around :hihi:

and now to business:

We all like a good laugh at Bill Gates but it's only because deep down we're all jealous

that is entirely not the case with most of us. Take me as an example, I really dont wish to be Gates, I hate the concept of money, although money does not enrage me, I'd rather be barely making a living with linux then owning a corporation, especially a proprietary, closed-source crappy software developement one. I do not want to be bill gates, I do not want to be a boss or a manager, and i dont care for money, as long as I'm having fun, it does not matter...

Dazed, first of all, this is the first time i see your posts in this section, so Welcome, nice to have you around :hihi:

and now to business:

that is entirely not the case with most of us. Take me as an example, I really dont wish to be Gates, I hate the concept of money, although money does not enrage me, I'd rather be barely making a living with linux then owning a corporation, especially a proprietary, closed-source crappy software developement one. I do not want to be bill gates, I do not want to be a boss or a manager, and i dont care for money, as long as I'm having fun, it does not matter...

I respect that but in this day and age don't you need money to have fun?

to a very small extent, but it does not make it right though, and that does not mean that I want to be a multibillionare, especially Bill Gates, I'll be more then happy with 1 -5 million dollars rather then 20 billion, because i will not need to work anymore, and as long as money is making money without having me to worry about it, and i can have fun, buy equipment set it up with free operating systems and go at having quality time in front of it...