Science Forums

Hypocrisy of non-smokers

sanctus

bumab, Qfwfq and Sanctus appear to have missed Hartzburgite's central point: any pollution generated by oil companies is our responsibility, in as much as we use their products; we allow our pension funds to invest in their companies; and we elect (or allow to be elected) governments which promote, or are at least neutral towards, their activities.

Yes you are right eclogite, I was so surprised by the first sentence that I didn't carefully the following.

If you look at it that way hartzburgite you are right then the smokers who in the US made processes against sigarette-companies, because they got problems as a consequence are hypocrite. I totally agree on that. This processes were just ridiculous!

But that says just that smokers are hypocrites in such a specific case not generally....

Sanctus, passive smoking is not only a nuisance but it has been proven to be as deadly as smoking itself.

I don't mind people smoking outdoors, but I am allergic to cigarette smoke and it could cause a severe asthma attack. I know of one example here in Norway where people smoked during a board meeting, even though one person asked explicitly that they shouldn't because she was allergic. She died in the ambulance on the way to the hospital thanks to their failure to listen to her.

So it is a more complex issue than hypocrisy - for some people (like myself) this is a very serious issue. After smoking indoors (not in private homes, of course) was banned in Norway, I can finally go out and meet friends in pubs and bars without getting ill.

although i MUST ADMIT that it was WRONG (if true) that the lady died that went to the board meeting where she was allegic to tobacco smoke i wonder just what in the hell was wrong with her to go there when she knew she was so allergic to the smoke?!!?? IS THERE PROOF of this stupidity???! :sad:

Although I do not drink any alcoholic beverages for over six months because of medication I take and other related concerns to ban smoking from bars is an OUTRIGHT SIN!!!

MY GOD!!! if a person cannot have a smoke in a bar what the??!??!

GET REAL!!! :hihi:

http://GeorgeWBush.WS <- WE LOVE YOU !!! ((( W ))) !!!

Kirk, now motivate why you think that in the bar everyone has to smoke the passive smoke of your sigarette! I thought you thought to be altruist seeing your belief.

I underline that I never said that actually banning smoke in a bar is a hypocrisy of the non-smokers, I talked more about the overall banning and the huge effort they put in it.

• 1 month later...

a friend was sitting in a bar smoking when another patron came over and said something to the effect of, " you know half of the smoke from those cigarettes is going into my lungs" wherein my friend replied, "then i guess you owe me for a half a pack of cigarettes". just stopped for the third time and i have to say regardless of the health factors public smoking [bars/restaurants] is a jackass thing to do. the stuff just stinks. but if being selfish and rude is cool then rock on i guess.