Science Forums

The Sense Called Emotions

pljames

Why do we allow external stimuli to control us to believe it, as with internal stimuli? As a rule we learn the first time, and it goes into the memory. Then why do we allow it to happen again and again? Cannot we learn from the original results the first time? Paul

Edited by pljames

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

We continue to face the same lesson, obstacle, challenge over and over until we learn the meaning behind it and clearly grasp the truth of the lesson. This is part of the human experience. However, a place does exist in which we can deny the effect of external influence/stimuli over our internal climate. Only by discipline and habit can we learn to do that, but it is possible.

a place does exist in which we can deny the effect of external influence/stimuli over our internal climate.

Please elaborate.  I can't help but think you are pulling something out of your posterior.  What are the qualities of such a place?  How do we get there? What is my internal climate?

Maybe it's Buddhism

... I hear Yoga helps?

personally - if you have been "trained" by others, then technically you have already lost the war on ever finding your OWN internal "climate".

You may aswell be the robot I was talking about...In which case your mission (Yeah I know - now I'm the robot about to state "if you choose to accept it")

should be: Consume, and create for your bretheren humans.

• 4 weeks later...

Please elaborate.  I can't help but think you are pulling something out of your posterior.  What are the qualities of such a place?  How do we get there? What is my internal climate?

Maybe what Celestia means is that it is possible to gain control over how we feel. To discipline ourselves to the point when external stimuli doesn't affect how we feel inside (internal climate). There are countless stories of people who have been able to do exactly that. Wrongfully convicted prison camp survivors, Auschwitz survivors, (etc) who are able to live internally rather than "feeling" what has been done to them.

That sounds like a retreat from reality. Understandable in some of the examples you gave, but in general not a gaining of control, but a replacement of control with acceptance. It sounds self defeating.

I would agree with you that it might be considered a retreat from reality, but then no one can define what reality is now can they? What we see? What we feel? What we can touch with our hands? Science in all it's different facets is starting to uncover that our view on "reality" just might not be what we thought it was. So how then can we say what IS reality and if a person is retreating from it or actually "creating" it?

I agree that we cannot really define reality. I also agree that we have emotions because otherwise we would be robotic. We were created to have emotions. I don't know a single person that has learned the first time and did not let something similar bother them.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't that just "conditioned behavior"? A big, friendly puppy jumps up on a 3 year old child, starts licking her face and knocks her over. From that point forward, the child practically has a panic attack every time a dog gets close to her. She has learned to associate the emotion of fear with seeing a dog.

Isn't that just "conditioned behavior"? A big, friendly puppy jumps up on a 3 year old child, starts licking her face and knocks her over. From that point forward, the child practically has a panic attack every time a dog gets close to her. She has learned to associate the emotion of fear with seeing a dog.

I'd say sort, and elaborate:

Humans maybe more complex, more variables too consider.

For one it was/is often thought that children forget thier past/upbringing, but many do end up becoming "phobic" in one manner or another.