Science Forums

Marriage

Queso

Are humans the only species that "get married?"

are there any other organisms on this planet that stay with the same kind of organism forever?

There are families of birds that maintain their monogamous relationship throughout their lives. Can't remember right of hand which they are, possibly in the dove family. I saw a program about this on the Discovery channel a while back, wish I could remember the particular bird they were speaking of but right now I can't bring it to mind.

"Love is a commitment, not an emotion."

interesting indeed, i don't agree with it though.

i love many things i do not commit to. in fact, i don't have any commitments other than vitalities. i love smoking water pipes, i love cheese, and i love reading.

love is an opinion, commitments aren't well thought out.

...love is an opinion, commitments aren't well thought out.
Finally. A love thread.

Feelings are opinions. And transient.

Love is a decision. If you stay with a decision, it is a commitment. If you reneg on a decision, it suggests you did not have a strong enough knowledge base to make the decision in the first place.

Maybe the eagles know all they need to know to stay committed.

___Or maybe the Eagles don't know enough to part ways. A commitment to doing the least harm may support any number of marriage arrangements.

___I have a brother who is an Eagle, & as powerfull a creature as he is, he has his weakness as well he will be the first to admit. Nonetheless, I love him & he me & love just is. No reason to marry though anymore than you should try to flap your arms & fly.

;) ;) :( ;) ;) :friday: :friday: :friday: :friday: :friday: ;) ;) ;) ;) :( :( ;) :( :( :( :( :(

interesting indeed, i don't agree with it though.

i love many things i do not commit to. in fact, i don't have any commitments other than vitalities. i love smoking water pipes, i love cheese, and i love reading.

love is an opinion, commitments aren't well thought out.

True, you can love other things. I did not define love strictly enough. I also love those things, and more...

Aside from the basic emotion of love, there is a societal expectation as to what love is. In the US it is a monogomous heterosexual commitment, other parts of the world and at other times it has/is seen quite differently.

There are many type of fish that form pairs or harems. These are coherent groups that are static. In parrotfishes there is one dominant male in the group. If it is killed the dominant female changes to the dominant male(they are hermaphrodidic).

Are you sure to decide to love someone? That would imply that every person on the world could be your partner, if you decided to love him/her.

Love in the marrage sense, yes. Marriage is a committment- any two people can make a commitment, and stick it out. Usually, emotional and physical love grows as they live together, if arranged marriages are any guide.

At the risk of pissing a lot of people off, I'd say there might be less divorce (at least in the US) if love was portrayed as more of a commitment then a physical/hormonal rush.

Love in the marrage sense, yes. Marriage is a committment- any two people can make a commitment, and stick it out. Usually, emotional and physical love grows as they live together, if arranged marriages are any guide.

At the risk of pissing a lot of people off, I'd say there might be less divorce (at least in the US) if love was portrayed as more of a commitment then a physical/hormonal rush.

Honorable thought bumab, but try to change this view through the eyes of hormonally blinded youth. And not to mention the unlimited choices that young people seem to have at their discretion today, no wonder so many decide to change horses in the middle of the stream.