Science Forums

What Could We Start Building Today?

SaxonViolence

Let us suppose, just for the sake of argument, that the President and all of Congress woke up tomorrow morning with the idea that opening up Space for Human Habitation and Exploitation was their Absolute Highest Priority.

While we're supposing, let's suppose that all the Political Leaders of all the other major countries on Earth woke up with the same idea.

How soon could we have a Real Space Station?

{You know,one built like a wheel and spun to give centrifugal gravity. I once read that 20% Gravity was enough to keep a human healthy indefinitely and with proper exercise, Muscle and Bone Loss could be kept to a Bare Minimum. Maybe. 20% would almost certainly beat the hell out of 0%. Let's build our Space Station big and strong enough to be spun for 25% Gravity...}

How soon could we build a working O'Neil Colony at L5?

A Moon Base?

Start Mining the Asteroids?

{Merely sending men to Mars seems more of a stunt, until we can send enough stuff to establish a Permanent Station.}

What sort and how many Probes would you send to the Moon, Mars, Phobos, Demos, The Asteroids, Jupiter and Saturn's Moons--farther out?

What kind of new Ground Telescopes would you want to build, and how many and what kind of Hubble-Like Orbiting Telescopes would you want to put in Orbit?

What kinds of Earthly Research would you support for its potential to be used (at least partly) to aid our Space Program?

Where would you start and why?

{There are no Political Limitations on your spending, but there are practical ones. Spending every possible dime on the Space Program might damage the Economy's Ability to support Future Activity...}

Phun to think about.

Saxon Violence

Edited by SaxonViolence

Let us suppose, just for the sake of argument, that the President and all of Congress woke up tomorrow morning with the idea that opening up Space for Human Habitation and Exploitation was their Absolute Highest Priority.

While we're supposing, let's suppose that all the Political Leaders of all the other major countries on Earth woke up with the same idea.

How soon could we have a Real Space Station?

{You know,one built like a wheel and spun to give centrifugal gravity. I once read that 20% Gravity was enough to keep a human healthy indefinitely and with proper exercise, Muscle and Bone Loss could be kept to a Bare Minimum. Maybe. 20% would almost certainly beat the hell out of 0%. Let's build our Space Station big and strong enough to be spun for 25% Gravity...}

How soon could we build a working O'Neil Colony at L5?

A Moon Base?

Start Mining the Asteroids?

{Merely sending men to Mars seems more of a stunt, until we can send enough stuff to establish a Permanent Station.}

What sort and how many Probes would you send to the Moon, Mars, Phobos, Demos, The Asteroids, Jupiter and Saturn's Moons--farther out?

What kind of new Ground Telescopes would you want to build, and how many and what kind of Hubble-Like Orbiting Telescopes would you want to put in Orbit?

What kinds of Earthly Research would you support for its potential to be used (at least partly) to aid our Space Program?

Where would you start and why?

{There are no Political Limitations on your spending, but there are practical ones. Spending every possible dime on the Space Program might damage the Economy's Ability to support Future Activity...}

Phun to think about.

Saxon Violence

Money is the main problem with this, I once saw an estimate that asserted that if 25% of the military budget had been spent on space exploration from the very beginning we would pretty much own the inner solar system by now and be working on the outer solar system as well.

Most of the problems are engineering problems not lack of technology problems.

Some Competition might prove beneficial.

Some Cooperation might also prove beneficial too.

Like Railroad Gauge is pretty much Standard World-Wide--with a few Exceptions duly noted.

It would be nice if Docking Apparatus were also Standardized--avoid "Even if we wanted to enter a joint venture with you, too much of our equipment is non-compatible..."

But I was more interested in the Specifics.

If you were in charge, with the Resources all of North America to back you up--and with Nearly Universal Political and Popular Support for your efforts--What would you opt to do First--and Why that rather than something else?

Then imagine that you were in charge of Japan's new Space Program (and assume that they want to proceed largely independently) How would you develop their Space Program?

As the Space Czar of India?

How about if Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Iceland pooled their resources and put you in charge of the New Scandinavian Space Program?

Australia? Germany?

I would imagine that if the US was going to go into Space Big Time that we might need more than just one Launching Center.

More in Florida? Texas? Try to buy a Chunk of Baha from Mexico?

Saxon Violence

i have seen some macines that can build on the moon, from dust and stuff

if you want a really large station, that is the cheapest way to go

plus i was thinking about this

when you work glass on earth, if it cools to fast, it cracks, or is otherwise less stable

(coe stress)

in space, the amount of heat radiated away is much less right,?

so you could build alot of things from glass alone, and make it much thicker right?

Some Competition might prove beneficial.

Some Cooperation might also prove beneficial too.

Like Railroad Gauge is pretty much Standard World-Wide--with a few Exceptions duly noted.

It would be nice if Docking Apparatus were also Standardized--avoid "Even if we wanted to enter a joint venture with you, too much of our equipment is non-compatible..."

But I was more interested in the Specifics.

If you were in charge, with the Resources all of North America to back you up--and with Nearly Universal Political and Popular Support for your efforts--What would you opt to do First--and Why that rather than something else?

Then imagine that you were in charge of Japan's new Space Program (and assume that they want to proceed largely independently) How would you develop their Space Program?

As the Space Czar of India?

How about if Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Iceland pooled their resources and put you in charge of the New Scandinavian Space Program?

Australia? Germany?

I would imagine that if the US was going to go into Space Big Time that we might need more than just one Launching Center.

More in Florida? Texas? Try to buy a Chunk of Baha from Mexico?

Saxon Violence

I understand your hypothetical scenario. If say all of North America and Europe would pool their resources and went all out with money we could accomplish some incredible deeds. The problem is we could never get to that point until as you see on some Star Trek episodes about world hunger being eliminated. There would also be problems with people who think we should spend resources on finding cures for diseases which I couldn't argue against before we go all out on space.

Getting back to your scenario if we had the resources, will, money, and I was the Czar, I would build a ship large enough to travel into space, long enough for generations to be born on the ship and continue the voyage. To travel as far out as possible with willing participants. I have heard the arguement that this would be unethical because these children did not ask for this life in space and it would be unfair for their parents to put them in that situation. I don't agree with that argument.

I understand your hypothetical scenario. If say all of North America and Europe would pool their resources and went all out with money we could accomplish some incredible deeds. The problem is we could never get to that point until as you see on some Star Trek episodes about world hunger being eliminated. There would also be problems with people who think we should spend resources on finding cures for diseases which I couldn't argue against before we go all out on space.

Getting back to your scenario if we had the resources, will, money, and I was the Czar, I would build a ship large enough to travel into space, long enough for generations to be born on the ship and continue the voyage. To travel as far out as possible with willing participants. I have heard the arguement that this would be unethical because these children did not ask for this life in space and it would be unfair for their parents to put them in that situation. I don't agree with that argument.

To build a Multi-Generational Inter-Stellar Starship would require a Massive Infrastructure in Space.

It is almost Axiomatic that it would not be the first thing you started on.

As for the Ethical Implications: No one asks to be Born and no one gets to choose what circumstance that they will be born into.

I'd consider that a Null-Concept to Argue.

Saxon Violence

• 1 month later...

I agree with almost everything everyone has said here except the part of world hunger... I know it sounds selfish but listen as to why lol i am not a jerk lol. K the number one issue to world hunger is money and jobs right if we had enough jobs for everyone no one would go hungry right? Well i am not sure if anyone else has noticed but there seems to be a job shortage... An ever increasing shortage. If we could get off this planet and start colonys for mining or research anything for that matter it opens the door for job creation and the more successful it becomes the more jobs are created and robots won't be able to take all of those positions so we stand a chance out there lol. As well as if all nations work togeather it helps unite us we are in desperate need of being united as one world we spend so much time squabbling over the dirt we have it ridiculous. I don't want to point fingers here but huge chunks of these issues stem from three catagories not necessarily in order lol

1. Religion

2. Cultural

3. Profit

I do not think it is important to dispose of these things as this is technacallly the heart of humanity if these things were to be removed we would not be human and we would not strive as well as we have done so far... These three are the key to humanity as well as the fall of humanity... How do you fix this in order to move ahead when all of our prioroties are screwed up? We can barley feed our own yet we are trying to feed others? Its not the food thats the problem its the free hand outs!!! Not one person on this planet learns anything by just giving it to them, you have to earn it. Africa is a beautiful country with so much potential it is mind blowing, but because of the keys to humanity its a terrible place to live! No one seems to really want to fix the problem we just keep dancing around it as though it is not the problem. If they all had jobs... Would this be an issue?

Lol apparently someone does not believe that if we were to give the poor nations of the world safe jobs with real paychecks that this would not solve there problems. But giving them food and meds an allowing them to work in excessive dangerous jobs with little to no pay and no ability to better themselves with self accomplishment is the answer? Wow... I can not imagine even being able to think like that... Now thats selfish. Well now that we are way off topic and there appears to be a selfish thinker who believes that poor people should not feel proud about there country and how well it is doing, lets get back to the topic at hand. I personally if i were the CEO or czar as some have put it lol would put my base not in orbit but right on the moon and work my way out from there i am sure there is enough minerals there to get started (google minerals on the moon). The reasoning behind this is much the same as the census all ready thought up by others Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_the_Moon. It makes sense saves on fuel for deep space missions. I am not a fan of the big wheel base orbiting the planet mostly because if it ever lost its orbit it would be disastrous! Its just safer and cheaper on the moon... Just a thought.

Bascally the same thoughts as Belovelife.

Edited by Chewbalka

• 2 months later...

I think it was Robert Heinlein who said:

"One day these stupid politicians will realize that Space is not the answer to Some of Earth's Problems, but to all of Earth's Problems."

If I was in charge of all of North America today.....

First off, I'd want to start designing and building a True Space Station—One of the old style ones with spokes like a wheel, spun to give at least some gravity—and finish it ASAP.

I think that I read somewhere that people can live healthily and not undergo any irreversible changes in Bone or Muscle Indefinitely in 20% Gravity.

Don't know how they came up with that or tested it.

But,

Since building a 100% Centripetal Gravity Station might be beyond us, lets shoot for 20%—25% Gravity.

We probably want to put our Station into Geosynchronous Orbit. Once we get one built, getting Stations enough for good coverage of the Earth is one 2nd Stage Project.....

Using our Station as a Staging Platform towards putting a Permanent Moon Base would also be a Prime 2nd Stage Project.

While waiting for a Good Moon Base, serious Plans should be in progress to build the first O'Neil Colony.....

And once we have a Good Moon Base, We should be figuring out how much Aluminum and other Light Metals can be mined on the Moon and sent to L4 and L5—and how quickly.

In the meantime—At least six or seven of Jupiter's Moons should have Probes orbiting them for several years—however long we can build them to last.....

And three or four of Saturn's Moons as well.

I want to land a "Mars Rover" Style Probe on at least one of Mar's Moons, and similar Probes sent to at least five or six of the Larger Astroids.

If it is currently feasible, I'd like to see an Orbiting Probe with a Landing Rover Sub-Probe sent to Pluto.

And I want more research into both Nerva and The Orion Ship Propulsion Systems.

Since we've already built one—and it works—after some tinkering.....

I want a Half-Dozen "Hubbles" in orbit doing Science Stuff ASAP.

Problem is, some of this stuff has a very long lead timeso let's get started!

I'd also build a Huge Collider bigger than CERN's—just because Good General Pure Research is Always Good.

Going to Mars and Mining the Asteroids would take care of themselves, if all my previous suggestions were followed.

That is the type answer I was looking for—but I wanted to solicit other's opinions first—to get to study their ideas.

I already know my Day Dreams.

Saxon Violence

Edited by SaxonViolence

A moon base would be the most feasible option. No navigation system, gravity, raw materials for further construction, tunneling could provide strongholds against attacks and solar flares, firm anchoring points for heavy artillery, soil for agriculture, acres and acres of space for solar fields and as if all that weren't enough....the ultimate golf course!....golfing in a crater every swing is a hole in one

Could be done in a month to get the starter colony going, with improved shelters rapidly following as more builder colonies, machines and supplies arrive,

Edited by DFINITLYDISTRUBD