Science Forums

Worst Job Ever.

niviene

After reading the Happy Birthday Hypo thread and what people were doing 5 years ago when hypography was born, I was wondering... what is the worst job you have ever had?

For me it was a brief period when I had a job killing turkeys. It was awful and I still can't eat turkey or even smell it.

Working in a fish processing plant up north. 16 hour days of gutting fish on a slime line. i still love salmon, though, and can clean a fish in 5 seconds (given the right knife, seriously).

Dang... I can still cut chicken apart with a good knife (still won't touch turkey..), it's like riding a bike. Before that I never really knew the difference between what a good knife would do. ;)

My worst job was doing construction. My girlfriend at the time wanted me to get a "real" job, so her mom got me a job with her boyfriend. I only did it for 1 day, but I (a 125 lb weakling at the time) had to use a 95 lb jackhammer, and then they gave me a sledge hammer so that I could break a wall with it. That was absolutely humiliating. Now I'm a software engineer making much bucks though, so I just look back at my relationship with that gold digger and laugh, cause I ditched her after that and just continued to study programming.

Sorting "Kimball Tickets" at a major SoCal department store's central office. In the old days before computerised point-of-sale devices, merchandise had these little price tags on them that were perforated down the middle, and when you bought them, the clerk would rip one half off and put it in a bag under the register. When I was working with them, they'd gone to bar codes, but the originals were tiny punch cards. These things were sent in from all the stores and they had to be read into the mainframe to deal with daily sales/inventory. So, you got a bag, with all these little pieces of paper and you had to stack them up and put a rubber band around them so that the data input machine operators could hold a pack of them on the input device which would zip them in and read their bar codes. I did this one summer in high school, and it just about drove me bonkers....

Not as gross as some of those above, but mentally torturous...

Cheers,

Buffy

Sorting "Kimball Tickets" at a major SoCal department store's central office.

You didn't have to spindle them? Keypunching reject tickets was pretty nasty, too.

My worst job was at J.C.Penney, selling athletic and children's shoes on 9% commission for five years.

Well... I should also say I had one job that might have been worse than the turkey job...I worked for about one hour as a phone sex operator when I was 19 or so....I thought it would be fun, or even funny to talk about sex as a job, and as soon as I got my first call, I answered it, this guy started talking about something really weird, and I just sat there slack jawed... until I burst out laughing at the guy (absolutely wasn't supposed to do that). I hung up on him, walked out, and never went back. I never told my parents about that... however, it is on my background record with the police department. :eek: Imagine taking a polygraph about that... talk about embarassing.

Sorting "Kimball Tickets" at a major SoCal department store's central office.
You didn't have to spindle them? Keypunching reject tickets was pretty nasty, too.
No spindles, these were the "new fangled" ones with bar codes on heavy cardboard, and when they went through the readers, they went straight into a bag for recycling. The night shift keypunched the rejects...

Cheers,

Buffy

And, BTW, you date yourself even knowing what a Kimball ticket was! :eek: I have, as a souvenir, a ticket weight from an old reader.
Haha! Actually, both of my parents were in the retail business, and I grew up with the dang things. They were putting in the POS systems the year I worked there and the folks in the group I was in all lost their jobs 6 months later....

Cheers,

Buffy