Science Forums

Worst Job Ever.

niviene

I think every Everclear experience occurs in college.
Mine was in high school, but that's only because Jet Propulsion Lab was up the street...a ready source of the stuff, and we referred to it simply as "rocket fuel"...

Whoo! Trails!

Buffy

Mine was in high school, but that's only because Jet Propulsion Lab was up the street...a ready source of the stuff, and we referred to it simply as "rocket fuel"...
Well, you might recall I went to pharmacy school the first time. We did not bother with Everclear. We used alcohol 95 (190 proof) and it is pharrmaceutical grade. Nearly free too, since it was not taxed.

We used to hang IV bottles of it into the punch bowl. Things got a little interesting late in the party as the drip rate was constant and the volume in the bowl decreased.

Hmmmmm. Let's to that concentration calculation.....

That was floating about the organic lab, but we weer told that it had an additivie in it... I don't know if that was true or not, but we just got the everclear...althopugh the chunk of Na did "disapear" and find its way into a local pond......
They often do put additives into alcohol 95. The most common one is phenolthalein (because it is a laxative). But it is also easy to test for. Really easy.