Science Forums

One last tirade (or bbc and the lectern of truth)

motherengine

Would MacDonald's survive until then and should they have too? They offer a fair job for a fair price. They pay what they can based on the prices they get for their products that are literally set by their own competition. At the very least, if they were put out of business from such an effort shouldn't they at least be able to sue the union for being the cause of their demise?
Sure they'd survive. It would cost money, but its not as if they'd run out fast. Moreover this view implies that the union's goal is to put the company out of business, which would be really stupid. Unions know that they have to keep their hosts going, that's why United is still in business: the unions keep backing down on everything they've earned over they years because they know if they don't they'll be out of a job. Unions are actually pretty powerless these days, so billing them as evil juggernaughts is way outside of reality, although I know its a really popular concept in some quarters.

Cheers,

Buffy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they'd survive. It would cost money, but its not as if they'd run out fast. Moreover this view implies that the union's goal is to put the company out of business, which would be really stupid. Unions know that they have to keep their hosts going, that's why United is still in business: the unions keep backing down on everything they've earned over they years because they know if they don't they'll be out of a job. Unions are actually pretty powerless these days, so billing them as evil juggernaughts is way outside of reality, although I know its a really popular concept in some quarters.

Cheers,

Buffy

On the other hand Blaw-Knox is out of business. They couldn't compete in the market place with all of the non-union shops manufacturing the same product. To pay the wages and benefits the union demanded Blaw-Knox had to raise it's prices. Sales plummeted but the union wanted more and finally went on strike. As a result I am now working for a 2 man shop and my health care insurance is 250% higher. I'm only 1 of 100 that ended up out of work. My prior employer is out of business and yet the UAW is still out there trying to organize other companies. IMO, they are still wielding quite a bit of power.

Cheers,

Buffy

An interesting choice of wordss....hinting at the parasitic nature of unions? ;)

I think that overall, this is an insult to most parasites.
Lawyers, unions, insurance companies... let em all burn in the hellmouth!

Actually this being a science forum, I'll add that it more a symbiotic relationship. They're *both* parasites sucking off of the labors of the proletariat! Its the new millenium! Lets now throw off the dictatorship of the proletariat! Libertarianism now! Libertarianism t'marow, Libertarianism, fo' evah!

Wild cheering,

Buffy