Science Forums

Recipe to insanity

Queso

for the past half an hour i have been listening to the end of this song skip in a pattern i can not predict. occasionally it will skip back about 30 seconds and play the song back to where it skips, then it skips some more. process repeats over and over and over.

after an excessively substantial ammount of listening to this in this room, would i go mad?

i already feel so crazy and my mind twisted up, i just want to shut it all off and go to sleep. so i shall.

GAHHHHHHHHH THIS IS MADNESS! ! ;) :sun: :( :xx: :xx: :xx: ;) ;) :( :( :( :( :( :eek: :( ;) :eek: ;) :( :xx: :xx: :xx: :xx: :xx:

yeah but the same part of a song skipping over and over and over ahhhhh

anyways, i turned my stereo off 2 minutes into my experiment. it was just way too annnoying.

Where would we be today if people like Galileo and Michelson just quit in the middle of their experiments? You might have something significant to contribute to humanity. You must push on for the greater good. :hihi:

I think something like this was brought up in a different thread, but anyways...

A friend of mine has a CD that has a audio translation of brainwaves in various states. He says it has quite an effect upon him. There is a track of sleeping brain waves that he says causes him to sleep like crazy and makes it very difficult to get up if it was put on repeat all night.

Perhaps this is linked in with sleep learning and influencing such as "quit smoking" and "increase your vocabulary" tapes you are supposed to listen to while you sleep....

___Orby, in your original post you used the phrase "in a pattern I can not predict". It is the case that a very similar situation is largely responsible for chaos theory. Forgive me for forgetting the 2 fellas' names & other minor details.

___Anyway, these guys were math majors down at Berkley (I think) & into computers & all, & they worked down in this basement near a faucet that dripped. Seems that watch as they might, they saw no pattern they could predict.

___Now what they did was to affix a light reactive cell on one side of the drip path & a light on the other so as to record the intervals between drips into a computer. The data showed the dripping to be completely random in the standard terms, but revelaed a different sort of complex pattern that now is the study of chaos.

___Last I heard these guys were working for the stock brokers. :hihi: :xx:

___Orby, in your original post you used the phrase "in a pattern I can not predict". It is the case that a very similar situation is largely responsible for chaos theory. Forgive me for forgetting the 2 fellas' names & other minor details.

___Anyway, these guys were math majors down at Berkley (I think) & into computers & all, & they worked down in this basement near a faucet that dripped. Seems that watch as they might, they saw no pattern they could predict.

___Now what they did was to affix a light reactive cell on one side of the drip path & a light on the other so as to record the intervals between drips into a computer. The data showed the dripping to be completely random in the standard terms, but revelaed a different sort of complex pattern that now is the study of chaos.

___Last I heard these guys were working for the stock brokers. :hihi: :xx:

Was this the first random number generator for the computer that was not a pseudo-generator?