Science Forums

Recipe to insanity

Queso

Mine is a lifelong experiment in consistent skipping. I grew up with a copy of Revolver that had a skip at the very beginning of the second verse of Eleanor Rigby. My kid *loves* this album so it gets played constantly, but I have had a hard time adjusting--I guess to the point of insanity, but I'm a little too copacetic for that--to the CD that has no skip. I've been thinking of ripping it and putting the skip back in with the audio editor....

I did a similar thing on purpose with Hallelujah off of Humble Pie Rockin' the Fillmore, where I was ripping it to a CD but it had a nasty skip in it, so I passed it through the audio editor and took out 12 bars so its relatively seemless, but I now have trouble listening to the original off the new CD I bought to replace it....

Cheers,

Buffy

... but I have had a hard time adjusting--I guess to the point of insanity, but I'm a little too copacetic for that--to the CD that has no skip. I've been thinking of ripping it and putting the skip back in with the audio editor....

... but I now have trouble listening to the original off the new CD I bought to replace it....

Cheers,

Buffy

Then it's not insanity you're suffering from, Buffy, just an inability to change. You have grown to be more comfortable and familiar with the "ruined" versions and find it hard to again accept the unflawed seamless versions. Similar to a psychiatric experiment of pain acceptance conducted with young puppies. At first the puppies we're put on an electrically wired floor in a cage they couldn't possibly escape and every few seconds they were given a shock that sent them crying and try to scratch, bite, and gnaw they're way out of the cage. This continued for a certain period until the puppies finally just "accepted" the electrical current. The cage was then removed but the dogs still just lay on the ground even when the current was continuously run through the ground, they just stayed there and whimpered, not desiring to change their predicament. :xx:

Not a perfect analog, but close enough for government work.:hihi:

Are you accusing me of inflexibility?!?! Harrumph! <sniffs/> Alexander got me to take another look at Python after having ignored it for some time and now I actually like it! Pppppbbbbt!!!

Your puppy example is sick (who could *be* so cruel! even in the name of science! and *what* science was there in that "experiment"?), but this has more to do with conditioning: its getting used to something and being irritated by the change when having to put up with it. You get used to whatever you have to deal with. There was an experiment that Timothy Leary did in his "experimental" days where he rigged a bunch of amplifiers up to a 60 cycle hum played at about 70db (ramped over time of course) in a house he lived in with a bunch of other people. Anyone visiting from outside could not hear a thing over the din, but everyone who lived there had no trouble conversing after a while...

No, I'm not going to put the skip back in Eleanor Rigby: my brain has already started to rewire itself, but it was definitely disturbing for a good long while....

Cheers,

Buffy

Your puppy example is sick (who could *be* so cruel! even in the name of science! and *what* science was there in that "experiment"?)

Cheers,

Buffy

Science in the name of psychology. The psychiatrists were merely experimenting with the minds' knowledge and awareness of pain and how the puppies would react. In the beginning the puppies were willing to try and change their circumstances, but after getting used to and accepting the pain they were unwilling to leave it even when all they had to do was walk off the pad. This was an experiment to also discover why depressed people do little if anything to try and change whatever is making them depressed, they found out that it just becomes "comfortable" to be in pain and few people are willing to change that on their own.

Well, at least Stanley Milgram made sure that we can't do that to humans anymore (much as we think that some of them deserve it...). I guess that experiment sure shows a lot, but it makes you wonder: isn't it obvious? No one likes change. If anything, this brings it all back to Orb's original post: if the change is *random* its much more likely to make people insane...which was your point....Dark's brilliance shows up again!

Cheers,

Buffy

___Stanley never actually shocked anyone, other than perhaps mildly when the dupes were getting the "explanation". What he showed was peoples' willingness to hurt others when an authority told them it was OK. The elaborate shocking panel & buttons were fake.

___Still, many people had to be "de-briefed" as it were after they went right up to the highest Danger settings in spite of strong religious/moral beliefs.

___Shocking the puppies is sick, but this illustrates Milgram's finding as the lab workers "know" it's sick, but do it anyway because the authority of science/beaurocracy said it was OK.

___The lesson from Stanley's book I came away with is "learn to recognize authority & challenge it when you know it's wrong".

Absolutely. I've always found the mental damage from Stanley's experiment to be much more cruel than the shocks! I can't imagine that people enjoyed much finding out what "good nazis" they were.... Those of us who have problems with authority though...

Disobediently,

Buffy

___To clarify again, no one in Milgram's experiments ever received a painful shock.

___I have always seemed at odds with authority, but after Milgram I have good ammunition for reasoned challenges & insight into peoples' behaviors that I use to justify my reclusion. I acknowledge this may be as good a recipe for insanity as Orby's skippin' disk. :hihi:

To clarify further: the "subjects" were only the ones "giving" the shocks, and the "receivers" of the shocks were actors hired to moan/scream on cue, but did not get shocked. But as Turtle pointed out earlier, some subgroups of "subjects" were given a shock as a demonstration up front of what they would be doing to others, but this did not have a statistically significant effect on their willingness to give shocks! Creepy!

For you Star Trek fans, there was an obscure teleplay made of this called "The Milgram Experiment" in the mid-70s starring Bill Shatner as Stanley. It was a pretty anti-Stanley production, but interesting nonetheless. I don't think its ever been released on tape/DVD, but I saw it at the Museum of Television in NYC (a must see if you ever go there).

Cheers,

Buffy