Do You Vote?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do You Vote?

• Always
    • Sometimes: Depends On Election Subject
    • Sometimes: Other Reasons
    • Never

I vote, every chance I get.

And I've recently started getting into local party politics. I'm not planning on running for office, ever (too many skels in the closet :esheriff: ), but I very much enjoy being involved in some way. I seem to be a great organizer, and I had fun at the polls a few weeks back during our state primaries. I vote in the primaries along party lines because it's required. But in generals, I vote for the best candidate - that is - the one that best represents what I think and how I feel.

Being involved also has its advantages. I recently met a guy that is running for Delegate in November. I got to spend about an hour talking to him, asking him direct questions, watching how he treats people. You see a side to people that way that isn't always apparent on tv, or in print. I don't agree with everything that he said, but he impressed me as a person that has integrity. Plus, now he knows my name, and has already sent me info asking how people like me (stay-at-home teachers) can be better served by our state. Whether or not he will take my advice still remains to be seen, but it's nice to feel like he cares...

Never voted, but I want to. I'll be able to vote for the next elections.

There are some talks here in Canada to lower the voting age from 18 to 16. I think that's a great thing. Sixteen year olds definetly are old enough to know what they want, and who they should vote for. I don't see a reason why 16 years olds can drive but not vote.

I don't see a reason why 16 years olds can drive but not vote.

___The answer is 16 year olds shouldn't be driving either. :) They account for more traffic deaths than any other age group & waste more fuel as well. The economic & emotional costs are staggering. I for one would vote to raise the legal driving age to at least 18.

___The answer is 16 year olds shouldn't be driving either. :) They account for more traffic deaths than any other age group & waste more fuel as well. The economic & emotional costs are staggering. I for one would vote to raise the legal driving age to at least 18.

I'll vote with you on that one Turtle.

I only replied never because im to young... but by the time the next election roles around i will be eligible and i will vote. although i am a bit of a cynic when it comes to voting -democracy to me isnt having one say in 20 million... (and australia has a small population!)

I started driving when I was 16, and I haven't had any troubles. It's only a small portion of the teens who drink and drive, and speed, and get into all kinds of troubles. I don't think it's fair to say that all 16 years olds are irresponsible drivers. Anyways, now the government is considering of pushing the legal driving age to 18, but that's none of my business:)

being a 17 year old driver, i am around a lot of teenage drivers and what-not. and i would say there is a fair balance between drivers that really obey the rules of the road, and those that don't.

so which category do you fit in?:)

___I don't intend to put down young people & Aki & Orby you both express the best of intentions. The fact remains that records consistantly show more accidents for teen drivers, regardless of the cause (drinking, speeding, etc)

___The teen brain is not fully formed in regard to mialin sheaths (sp) along nerve pathways that contol behavioral decisions & circumstance has a way of short-circuiting the best of young intentions. (Yes adults make poor decisions as well).

___Maybe since we've drifted off topic, someone will start a new thread on teen driving or teen brains? :)

Never voted, but I want to. I'll be able to vote for the next elections.

There are some talks here in Canada to lower the voting age from 18 to 16. I think that's a great thing. Sixteen year olds definetly are old enough to know what they want, and who they should vote for. I don't see a reason why 16 years olds can drive but not vote.

If all of what you said here is true, you are in the 0.5% of 16 year olds who are mature enough to know what you want and also are mature enough to behave properly. (I'd love to talk to you in two years, then again in 5 years and see how much your idea of what you want have changed) The other 99.5% of 16 year olds don't have a clue 1) what is going on in the world, 2) what opportunities they have, 3) whether or not what they want is attainable/plausible, 4)what it takes/costs to get what they want, etc. I would submit that many folks much older than 16 are in the same mental state as well (a lot of them have ended up in politics, much to our misfortune).

Winston Churchill once said, "If at 18 one is not a Liberal, he has no heart... If at 30 one is not a Conservative, he has no brain." We can argue the political point he made, but is not arguable that a child will change his/her mind as they undergo life experiences. A 16 year old still has mom and dad to fall back on if they failan 18 or 21 year old may not

I find it inconceivable that some people don't vote. And the worst thing is that it's often because they're simply too lazy. Maybe I'm so aware of my right to vote because I live in one of the youngest democracies in the world (South Africa), but I believe voting isn't merely a privilege - it's an obligation. A democratic country can't function properly without socially conscious and responsible citizens. Whether you prefer a certain candidate, or a certain party, or you're voting for the lesser of two evils, or you're casting a spoilt vote to indicate your general dissatisfaction - JUST VOTE!

Absolutely Chacmool; Strangely enough, it is also the same people who don't vote that complain the loudest when the political atmosphere doesn't suit their views.

Exactly. Whenever I hear someone complain about something that could be changed by local, provincial or national government, I always ask whether they voted. And if they didn't, I don't even want to hear their story. And they'll usually also get a lecture about the importance of voting!

The mentality you refer to seems to be present at all levels. My mother is the secretary of the local tennis club, and it's always the members who never make the effort to vote for the committee - let alone be a committee member - who complain the most. They are also the people who usually don't bother to vote in government elections either, but they moan about everything.

Right Chacmool; Government should be about solving problems, not about complaining. Far too many complaints and far too few solutions.

Right on, Infamous. Not voting is like owning a business but not giving a damn about what your employees get up to during work hours. You pay taxes, therefore government employees work for YOU. They aren't doing you any favours by solving your problems - it's their job. And I definitely want a say in who gets appointed!

I agree that the non-voters in the US make the two-party dominance possible. People who don't vote because there's not a perfect candidate are living in La-La Land. There will never be a perfect politician that stands for everything you believe and doesn't lie and won't raise taxes and will actually be able to garantee you a perfect, carefree, no-bad-ever life. Why? Because they actually have to be human. The best you can do is vote for the one that comes closest without going over. And sometimes you just have to vote for the lesser of two evils.