Science Forums

Survival Wagon Idea - Recreation Or Reality TV

Turtle

Turtle's URL Fixed.

___Thanks T! As if the landslide danger isn't enough, I just answered my door to a realtor; the landlord died & the house is for sale! They already digged in a sign post! Good grief!

___Looks like a night of consolidating & packing while the storm rages.

Candles? Check

Water? Check

Matches? Check

Batteries? Check

You all will surely know me if you see me on the road.:cup: Where's Waldo now?:singer:

• 1 month later...
Trick question, right? He's ---^^

:singer:

Ja, a trick question. Currently the wagon is dissasembled & packed in my car for moving. I continue to refine the quantity, quality, & organization of the whole kit & kaboodle. The current load makes it pretty much a two-person job to make any decent headway, but of course like the early wagon train pioneers, we can start throwing stuff to the side of the road to lighten the load as we go.

All in all I think every household needs some form of this setup, if for no other reason than to forestall the theft of mine. The only workable disaster preparedness is distributed preparedness. How better might the New Orleans folk have fared with a survival in every household?

I still hold out some hope for a shakedown camping excursion this year with the wagon, but I won't hold my breath.

Anybody else have a survival wagon out there? :phones:

I plan on making an underground shelter some day. I want to build a whole underground complex. It will have all my emergency provisions in it. I also keep some stuff in the garage that can be loaded into the car on short notice that will keep the family going for a few days. I also recommend having plans with your neighbors for help each other out. If I am away in an emergency that had to evacuate my area I would help my neighbors, and they would help me. We have no need for government organzations. We have each other. The BigDog carries a big umbrella.

Bill

Ja, a trick question.

Anybody else have a survival wagon out there? :)

Yes, and No.

I am working on a *Consolidated Survival Box*.(Trademarked;) name)

Its a Fish Tackle box, with the little compartments filled with survival/camping stuff...:hihi: :naughty: :D

including:

>easy carry, nutritious Protein bars

>water purification tablets

>emergency blankets

>matches, fire starting equipment

>small portable radio w/ extra batteries

>Knives and Leatherman Tool

>Bug repellant, first aid, basic hygeine

> and as much other usefull stuff as I can nicely cram into it...

I am working on a Survival Trailer that I can hitch onto the back of my Mountain bike.

Mobility is Crucial :eight:

Forget Cars.

Roads will be blocked,clogged,destroyed.

Living Longer,

Racoon

I am working on a *Consolidated Survival Box*.(Trademarked;) name)

Its a Fish Tackle box, with the little compartments filled with survival/camping stuff...:) :xx: :eek:

I am working on a Survival Trailer that I can hitch onto the back of my Mountain bike.

Mobility is Crucial :D

Forget Cars.

Roads will be blocked,clogged,destroyed.

Living Longer,

Racoon

___Great to hear it Racoon; I especially like the bike trailer idea. Besides my wagon, I keep a smaller kit similar to your tackle box, which I refer to as my 'bugout bag'.

I plan on making an underground shelter some day. I want to build a whole underground complex.

___Me too! Me too! My biggest hurdle in this regard is that I don't own any land & the landlords...well, I never even ask them if I can dig a big hole in the yard.:eek: I fondly remember all the neat plans in Popular Mechanics mag etc. for underground shelters back in the 60's. I have to wonder how many bunkers still exist in US that people built from those plans. Duck & cover!:xx: ...Be Prepared!:eek2:

• 3 weeks later...

While putting the wagon back together after my move, I found the opportunity to see how poor of bearings it has when a set popped out & fell apart. It has ball bearings, loosely fit in a bearing race & widely spaced. The race is barely thicker than a pop can & appears to have spot welds rather than rivets. I have noticed the quality of bearings in bicycles declining similarly over the past decade. Absolute pieces of crud never meant to last beyond the sales floor, particularly if any load is carried.

So, the wagon is hobbled & I have to either buy new wheels (at least 2 I figure, so I have a spare then) or, try to find new bearings (yeah, right). Two wheeled wagon?:phones:

Any converted wagoneers out there yet?:)

While putting the wagon back together after my move, I found the opportunity to see how poor of bearings it has when a set popped out & fell apart. It has ball bearings, loosely fit in a bearing race & widely spaced. The race is barely thicker than a pop can & appears to have spot welds rather than rivets.

I take it that it won't be up to the Great Sasquatch Hunt then, in its current condition??

Still, the Sum of its parts are greater than the whole! :) :phones:

• 3 weeks later...
I take it that it won't be up to the Great Sasquatch Hunt then, in its current condition??

Correctomundo Rac. I have gone to 5 hardware stores & no one has either the wheel itself or the bearing! At least it didn't happen up in the forest.

I am considering my options & I have 2 more place to check before I opt for a 2-wheel design.:eek2:

Are you thinking of doing some reengineering of the survival wagon? If so, are your plans still classified?

Bill

Not classified at all. SKF_DF AEKKABM;) :lol: Just remember GIGO:eek2:

My thought(s) is to remove the front wheel assembly & attach legs at the corners so when at rest it sets level. I have two pieces of cedar split from a single log that I thought to attach 'rickshaw' style so when I pick them up I can push the wagon like draft animals in their harness.

Now if I do that, I don't need a new wheel at all & in fact now have a spare!:eek: :hyper: :eek: :phones:

By the by BigDog, have you declassified your wagon plans yet?:eek2:

PS Rumor has Infy is rodtesting his wagon already...shhhh

Shhhhhh............is right, my plans are highly classified..................Infy

Mums the word.;)

As my plans have gone like a cat out of a bag, I followed through with my speculative plan which I popped out at BigDog's urging. I have removed the front wheel assembly, which is some 10 pounds itself, & started testing possible layouts & fastening methods for the poles. At the very least, simple lashing is going to turn the trick & get things going.

I also noticed when my wheel bearing flopped apart that it fell woefully short in the grease department. I plan to grease the remaining wheel bearings liberally, if not democratically.:lol: (Political wagon humor:eek2: )

I think if I load heavy to the back & light to the front I have a fair chance of getting a manageable tougne weight. (Tounge? Tung? :hyper: :eek: :evil: )

If all goes well enough I may give her a test run on the next Sasquatch expedition. Those of you building your own survival wagons, if enough of you notify me when you have a ready-to-go outfit, I will start planning a race or at the least perhaps a rally.

Keep on Rollin',

Turtler

I am making mine on a smaller scale than yours, and turning Charlie (the dog) into a beast of burden as the motive power of the wagon. Plans to follow...

Bill

___Sweet po-pete! I'm jazzed again on the wagon because I found a bearing! Went to hardware store for other stuff & happened to see a 5/8" bore bearing & I bought it without knowing for sure if the outside diameter fit my wheel; it does!

___Everything is back together now as a 4-wheeler & I will buy a couple spare bearings next time I go to town.

___Do keep us posted on your own wagon progress.:)

• 1 year later...