Science Forums

Survival Wagon Idea - Recreation Or Reality TV

Turtle

40# too much weight man...you could probably halve that easily goin to aluminim....

Almost forgot for that 55lbs or so there is 8'x6'x4' of cap. How's that compare to your strong box dimentions?

And just in case I was misunderstood...I was talking about building the bulk of the cart-frame, deck, sides, and support for some sort of canvas roof out of aluminum in the previous (it's somewhere back there) post. Though a strong box integrated itno the design definitly sounds like a good idea.

Acknowledged on the design aspect, and it sounds good to me. On my box, again I settled for what I found at hand. Can't remeber if I said, but the wagon itself I bought on sale for only $80 at Lowes, which was how much I was looking at spending on just 2 wheels. Had to make an executive decision and bought the wagon. I see we get adverts by this thread for wagons and I clicked on one and saw a wagon like mine going for $300. :)

On my box, it is 27" long, 15" wide, and 12" deep, steel with a locking hasp and heavy handles on the sides. I use ratcheting strap hold-downs to secure it, the same as the ones I secure the plastic-pipe-rack to the wagon with in my vid. :cup:

Turtle -08-2005-society destroyed-

___ They do make a large wagon with wooden stake sides & pneumatic tires; it was about $400 as I recall. Mine is an all steel garden wagon for $80 US. The entire kit & kaboodle is well desribed in the thread.

___I have tried to anticipate what to include in the same vein as this thread, as well as accomadate minor power outages & camping excursions.

a little blast from the recent past;). I knew I discussed this type of stuff with ya before:)

a little blast from the recent past;). I knew I discussed this type of stuff with ya before:)

Good ol' Hypog; remembering what i say for me. Leaves more room to come up with new stuff. :cup::esmoking::edizzy::tongue::woohoo: :)

Here's the top wagon seller according to the Hypog advert clinging to the thread. >> http://www.cartsandwagons.com/?source=googleaw&kwid=garden%20cart%20wagon&tid=exact

Wow, what a neat thread!

The inverter won't cope with that much power for long (the cooker ring), as the battery will sag rather a lot at that rate of discharge. Also, things like coils and elements have a huge in-rush current, which often trips the inverters over-current protection.

As regards the wheels, bigger is better. Harder is also better. Soft wheels lose energy as you are dragging them around, as you have to deform the rubber. You are also asking for trouble if you get a puncture. Personally, I'd go for something with cartwheel sized wheels, as these have a much lower rolling resistance, and they also have a better tolerance of the odd pothole or stone in the path of the wheel. Two wheels rather than four, in a richshaw configuration might be the best bet. After a few minutes of thought, I'm thinking use some UltraSeal in a large rickshaw style pair of pneumatic wheels, or if you can get them, rickshaw style wheels with a solid but soft rubber tyre. The thinner rims would reduce the rolling resistance, and the spoke would absorb some of the bumps. Over soft ground you would have the issue of it sinking a bit more, though, as the ground pressure would be higher, but with "fat" mountain bike tyres will mitigate that. Non-grippy ones, as seen for on-road use would be best, since they aren't being driven.

Ok, so, getting back to the ideal tyre/wheel, rather than a stream of conciousness, I'd try to find a large diameter pair of on-road mountain bike tyres, then fill them with a soft silicone rubber compound instead of an inner tube. Far lighter than a solid wheel, but no pressure to leak out, and it will still have the soft silicone and the spokes to absorb some shock, with the large diameter wheels not droipping into small holes or jamming on small stones. Just watch the total loading!

This is a brilliant idea. Having something like this is great. I'm thinking of making one now, having only just seen this thread today. (If you can read this, then I've got my password back. There's no

To get really advanced, I'm thinking now of the water issue, which would be to make the hull out of fibreglass, which is quite light, and a very high strength material. Waterproof, rot-proof, any shape you want, and bullet resistant too. Carbon fibre might be even better, but runs kind of expensive. Both are hard to patch, but a handful of small bolts and large steel and rubber washers will clamp neatly to make things waterproof again should anything get holed, and it's a fast repair.

With flexibility like this, you could make a drive system for the wheels, too, though that probably wouldnt be the best of designs. This drive system would also let you add water paddles or screws to it, for perhaps an easier time than paddling.

Just watching the video you did. Very neat. It actually seems very long, but it is only 4 minutes. :-) Good idea with the water system, but I sure hope you have it baffled inside so it doesn't slosh all over when part-full, and it has at least two completely seperate parts to it, in case of a leak!

As regards a source of power, a simple way might be to have an generator/motor (if it works both ways at the flick of a switch, it's far more useful!) with a shaft drive attachment, and a small gearbox or adjustable pulley system, connected to a boat propeller or small water wheel. You would simply park up next to a fast stream or river shallows/rapids, drop the spinner in, and the driveshaft would turn your new battery charger. :-) If it were a windy plain, then you could do the same with it in the air.

The suggestions of making a 4x4 affair are a bit daft. Sorry, but they are. All that gearing is going to loose a lot of energy as friction, and driving four wheels via chains, etc. is going to get very heavy. Drive one, or at most two wheels. If it is bad enough for it to slip, then you should get out and push or pull it. No point going fast then crashing in the hills and dying.

Another way to make energy might be to have a coupling for downhills. Staying a heavy load on a steep downhill is dangerous for both you and your cart, so a way to recharge your battery using the generator, while slowing your hill descent would be very useful. Even if they battery were full, the brake would be very much better than a regular brake system, as it would increase the braking force as speed increased.

Since you have a winch already, the motor off this would probably be ideal.

I'm going to see what designs I can come up with. The strongbox could be mounted right there in the side of the cart. Steel mesh within a fibreglass frame would stop any critters smaller than something like a big bear or a human without a bit more than a pocket knife. And it would be far harder to forget or have stolen, whilst far more than halving the weight. I'd stick a trembler alarm on it, too. That way, anyone or thing who starts pulling it away, or tampering with it, will have a minor heart attack when it goes off at 130dB in the dead quiet of the countryside!

This got rather long, as I took notes on the way in a text editor!

No point going fast then crashing in the hills and dying.

Lol!:) I'm guessing that you aren't a fan of motoX, enduro, or freestyle mountain biking...Fast is good, insanely fast better!:doh:

The suggestions of making a 4x4 affair are a bit daft. Sorry, but they are. All that gearing is going to loose a lot of energy as friction, and driving four wheels via chains, etc. is going to get very heavy. Drive one, or at most two wheels. If it is bad enough for it to slip, then you should get out and push or pull it.
Also not an off roader either I think...4X4 good;) and extremely simple to achive with 2 sprockets and 2 chains for the link between front and rear axles and 4 crank gears ranging from rediculously small (for very steep climbs and mud) to a large road sprocket for effecient cruising speeds on hard fairly level surfaces and downgrades driving an 8 speed mountain bike rearset yielding effecient ranges for all situations.

Now we'll look at this for a second-

Which is easier manually pulling 300Lbs up a long 6% grade or utilising a gear reduction to pedal up it?

How about more level terain...Which is more efficient walking while pulling the same load or using a faster gear range and pedaling?

Down hill? Which is easier (and more efficient) hoofin' it wrangeling the same load or ridin' the load down while braking?

As regards the wheels, bigger is better. Harder is also better. Soft wheels lose energy as you are dragging them around, as you have to deform the rubber. You are also asking for trouble if you get a puncture. Personally, I'd go for something with cartwheel sized wheels, as these have a much lower rolling resistance, and they also have a better tolerance of the odd pothole or stone in the path of the wheel. Two wheels rather than four,
Off road big fat and soft are always better. on road a wider tire inflated to it's lower pressure yields lower resistance with a heavier load than a skinny tire with higher pressure due to the squish factor (skinny tires support less weight (and squish alot more) due to the whole Lbs downforce-divided by square inches -X- Psi. thing ). But I believe you'll need off road capability far more than on.

Wow, what a neat thread!

Danke! :)

This is a brilliant idea. Having something like this is great. I'm thinking of making one now, having only just seen this thread today.

Even better!!! :)

Just watching the video you did. Very neat. It actually seems very long, but it is only 4 minutes. :-) Good idea with the water system, but I sure hope you have it baffled inside so it doesn't slosh all over when part-full, and it has at least two completely seperate parts to it, in case of a leak!

When part-full, the water is down in the legs. I may yet draw a working drawing so others may build it exactly as I did, but there's a brief description of the workings.

Going down each leg to the bottom of the ABS pipe is a 3/8" vinyl tube, and all the tubes connect to the outlet hose using barbed metal 'T's". To fill, remove one of the threaded caps on top of a leg & pour in the water. To dispense water, the cap is replaced and a bicycle pump is attached to a fitting in the top cap of one leg, and pumped. The pressure pushes the water equally down the legs & up through the 3'8" vinyl tubing and out the delivery end which exits one of the top caps. I have found that I can blow into the fitting too, and once the flow starts it continues by siphon action if the outlet tube is kept low enough. :cap:

Since you have a winch already, the motor off this would probably be ideal.

I think so too. Remove the cable from the reel, and I have the motor & a transmission. If I didn't mention, the electric winch came with a crank handle, so I can work it even without juice.

I'd stick a trembler alarm on it, too. That way, anyone or thing who starts pulling it away, or tampering with it, will have a minor heart attack when it goes off at 130dB in the dead quiet of the countryside!

I was thinking more like an electric fence unit as used for livestock, but connected to the wagon frame. :): :hihi:

This got rather long, as I took notes on the way in a text editor!

Ditto! :)

Now we'll look at this for a second-

Which is easier manually pulling 300Lbs up a long 6% grade or utilising a gear reduction to pedal up it?

Believe me, I have given this all a lot of thought. About 7 years of thought as best I can tell. :eek: :lol: I think winching is the 'easier' method, as well as the simplest in terms of equipment. A 6% grade is one thing, but what about the 50% grade? Or the sheer cliff?

Talk among yourselves. :doh: :cap:

I think winching is the 'easier' method, as well as the simplest in terms of equipment. A 6% grade is one thing, but what about the 50% grade? Or the sheer cliff?

LMAO!(sorry but the mental picture is tooo friggin funny!)

I mentioned 6% because it's really rather steep (6 vertical feet for every hundred traveled I think...) Anyway it's very common to encounter 6-12% grades on the road here and they stretch for miles and miles. Off road inclines encountered range all the way up to 89Deg. (no idea what percent) so while a winch is invaluable for the super steep over a short distance... But winching for miles?

Pedal power good! Not only to propel/pull the wagon, but also with a generator setup to recharge the battery in addition to a solar panel. If the generator setup is well enough generalized, you could pedal crank, hand crank, wind crank, or water crank it too.

Pedals!?! Is the idea to ride the thing? Where's the video? If you're pushing the wagon, I'd think the generator would be best attached to the wheels / axle. How has it contended with sand - has it seen any?

Also, I have a few of these - they're very nice. Lightweight and easily last out the night after cloudy day. Or, do you have a lighting system already?

-modest

Pedals!?! Is the idea to ride the thing? Where's the video? If you're pushing the wagon, I'd think the generator would be best attached to the wheels / axle. How has it contended with sand - has it seen any?

Also, I have a few of these - they're very nice. Lightweight and easily last out the night after cloudy day. Or, do you have a lighting system already?

-modest

:eek: :D No; my idea is definitely to not pedal the thing, or even ride it. Part me trying to encourage participation, any participation :lol:, and part allowing that a wagon as a trailer on a bike is both allowable under 'human powered' clause, and practical in terms of effort in particular situations.

I haven't had it in sand, or snow, but I suspect some ski-like runners or solid tobogan-esque attachment to the wheels and skid it without sinking. My bridging boards might even work for this?:hihi: Speaking of which, I have completed some detail work on my bridge and will have a short video soon of its assembly & use to cross a foot high barrier.

Those solar lights look cool, and I have priced some of them before in the garden shops. So far, I have only a household clamp light with a CF bulb that runs off the inverter. I'm thinking of buying a couple auto headlamps and direct wiring them to plug into my 12V pigtail sockets. Lots o' light, and heat too if used in a tent. Also I'm thinking to get some auto tail-light sockets of the type for the standard #57 brake bulb and using those for ambient light. :idea:

Concentration laggggiiiiinggg....that's all I got for now. :cap: :turtle:

PS

I think winching is the 'easier' method, as well as the simplest in terms of equipment. A 6% grade is one thing, but what about the 50% grade? Or the sheer cliff?

LMAO!(sorry but the mental picture is tooo friggin funny!)

I mentioned 6% because it's really rather steep (6 vertical feet for every hundred traveled I think...) Anyway it's very common to encounter 6-12% grades on the road here and they stretch for miles and miles. Off road inclines encountered range all the way up to 89Deg. (no idea what percent) so while a winch is invaluable for the super steep over a short distance... But winching for miles?

Not only is the mental picture funny, it is scary as hell. :eek: Imagine my last video is a shot from the tripod as my 400 pound wagon breaks loose form its mooring and drags me thumpity-bump over a precipice. :photos:This ain't wagoneering for weanies. :doh: :D I was even thinking how easy it would be to winch the whole wagon up under a tree branch to keep it away from the critters.

I do not intend to winch unless I can't pull or push. Keep thinking how heavy a pack you carry in the wilderness and the kind of terrain you cross. Now, take off the pack, put it in the wagon along with 300 pounds of other gear of your choice that you couldn't carry in a pack to save your soul, and then start crossing the same terrain gedanken style. :hihi:

Pedals!?! Is the idea to ride the thing?
Turtle pulls/pushes his

I'm still in the design phase for mine. Mine will most definitly be pedal powered via bicycle sprockets and chain with ratios ranging from rediculously low (for hilly terain to reasonably quick for flats and downhils. It will most likely be fitted with cheapy mountainbike disks for stopping. A 500watt scooter motor mounted to provide assistance. As well as a PVA for a roof and charging duties and some sort of generator with it's own dedicated sprockets, derailers and chain linked to the pedals...pedalbackwards you power the generator forwards you're driving the wheels and generator...the only problem is tracking down the crank that has the freewheel right at the sprocket they used to make them but they're hard to come by these days.

Bulk storage will be below a flat locking deck which will double as a comfy bed and snap on canvas sides will help keep wet weather and bugs out while lexan windows will allow driving with the sides on. I figure 3' wide by 5' long by 4' high to be reasonable dimentions. (granted I'm 6'2" but there should be enough room to curl up in there comfortably.

So far, I have only a household clamp light with a CF bulb that runs off the inverter. I'm thinking of buying a couple auto headlamps and direct wiring them to plug into my 12V pigtail sockets. Lots o' light, and heat too if used in a tent. Also I'm thinking to get some auto tail-light sockets of the type for the standard #57 brake bulb and using those for ambient light. :hihi:

So it's all electric? Have you considered propane? I recently built a water heater for an outdoor koi pond that's propane based - a little propane goes a long way. If you want to be heated or cook food that, I believe, would be the way to go. Of course, you can't fill up a propane tank in the wild

I think if I were doing this I would have looked at some of the historical or other-cultural inspirations like:

kind of a rickshaw type thing:

I realize that's not currently helpful to your design. Just a passing thought. I do think larger wheels are very important.

Your idea is really cool Turtle.

-modest

Awesome pics!!!!!! Where'd you find em?

I'm particularly fond of the upper one....thats one coool cart! would look even cooler modified to be and hitched to an old (19teens vintage or so) indian of the same somewhat decrepet state:)

Oh yeah, I forgot to source them:

Trogpint

Malawi Handcart Project

I share your appreciation for vintage Indians, my grandpa had one that I rode with him when I must have been about five. Scared out of my mind. He sold it before I had the chance to ride it myself :hihi:

But now, every time I see one... well, it's a fond memory.

-modest

Evolution has begun, trikes and quads battle for dominance, pneumatic tyres become filled with water, bamboo frames replace steel

the age of the aquatic rickshaw begins. :hihi:

Yes and the living fossils of two wheeled carts being pushed or pulled by a man will still be around when the fancy things are extinct!