Science Forums

What Is The Time

URAIN

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend a lot of time thinking about the questions you asked. I'm not a scientist and this is just my humble interpretation of it and nothing more.

We are concious that time is happening right now, we are in it right now, experiencing it right now. Time continues to click ahead in front of our eyes with every passing second, minute, hour, year. Each new frame of time you enter is different than the last. From the time you started reading this snetence until the time you finish and many things can transpire in that time.

We are aware of the roughly 13.7 billion year past existence of time. We are aware of the present, and we are fairly certian that it will continue for some time into the future. We have no way to alter events that happend in the past. The present and the future are different stories. Although we cannot change times speed, fate can influence the perception of time to a certain extent.

As for fate and time we all know how fast time seems to go when when we are having the time of our life. Even though time is still clicking by at the same rate you would swear it wasn't. We also know how slow time feels when stuck in a huge traffic tie-up. I have heard many different descriptions from people about tragic 9/11 attacks but for me on that day it was so surreal that time seemed to just stand still.

When you stop and focus on it we really don't have alot of time. If it has been going on for 13.7 billion years and for the sake of this post it goes on another 13.7, we are only given a slot of 60-80yrs of life to experience it that's a very small percentage. I can't speak for everyone but I know for myself nearing fifty, time seems to be moving faster than ever. Although I know that time is still clicking by the same as always my perception of time has without a doubt changed. There is something spooky about seeing your age pop up in the obits section of the news paper more often.

To me the past cosmic time is interesting, but when contemplating time I usually focus on the far future. At some point far in the future the last bit of energy will fizzle out or the last black hole will evaporate or whatever happens last will happen. Will that be considered the end of time and if not when? Infinite time is something my mind just refuses to comprehend, but I'll keep thinking about it, I still have time.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

http://universe1.fre...f-time-t21.html

Thank you for the link.

http://scienceforums...post__p__291302

The above link, if followed, will show you other peoples thinking on time! There are links, with-in the thread, to other threads with addition points of veiw! I hope this helps with your query.

Please see your link. It is not working.

Assume two things (consider it vehicle) moving in same direction with same speed.

(If we consider only these two things) Persons in that vehicles, will not experience either self is moving or other vehicle is moving.

Time is like vehicle, which is moving. Other side we are also in other vehicle, who are moving, but we experience the movement of our near vehicle (time).

Which is this experience the movement of time? What is this self ?

Religious people may say soul. What is the answer for this question from scientific peoples?

Please see your link. It is not working.

I've repasted the link it should work now .

http://scienceforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=291302

Assume two things (consider it vehicle) moving in same direction with same speed.

The same speed and direction means the same velocity, so is only one thing.

(If we consider only these two things) Persons in that vehicles, will not experience either self is moving or other vehicle is moving.

Both vehicles and persons within would experience movement just not in relation to the other vehicle which has the same velocity.

Time is like vehicle, which is moving. Other side we are also in other vehicle, who are moving, but we experience the movement of our near vehicle (time).

Which is this experience the movement of time? What is this self ?

I don't understand what your asking here?

Religious people may say soul. What is the answer for this question from scientific peoples?

Many Scientific people are religious and don't find any contradiction in this as religion and science aren't opposites!

Do you think or not that, we are also moved from child age to old age?

No. I don't even believe that time is an inherent irrefutable constituent of the Universe.

If you think so, then we are also in motion.

However what you are talking about sounds a bit like something some people believe: that all particles move at the speed of light at all times and when they are stationary, in three dimensional space, they experience time at it's high rate, and as their speed in space increases you experience time at slower and slower rates. This coincides with time dilation as stipulated by the theory of relativity.

Then one motion (we), how seeing the another motion is also moving (time)?

See: four-velocity.

Do we know that time is a stream of moments, each linked to and following upon the one immediately before it? I think that my senses perceive only one single moment at a time, and that moment for so brief a duration that I can't measure it, then that moment is gone and the next moment is perceived. I'm quite sure that I don't perceive multiple moments at once; I live in the now of time, not in the past, not in the future, only in the now of the present.

But if I live (and perceive) only in a single moment comprising the present moment (the now of time), how can I realize motion or change, how can I think? In any single moment of time, there is no motion, no change, no process (like thought). So I must live in more than one moment. Do I perceive both the present and the past at once? Would that not necessarily create a blurring of images and other perceptions? How could it not? It can only be then that perception occurs within the moment, and that the information of the senses is continually streamed to the brain, but consciousness and understanding incorporate very short-term memory that allows us to be aware of a brief stream of moments at once. Each moment of perception registers on the brain and fades from this immediate memory slowly (maybe several fractions of a second) while subsequent perceptions overlay and update it. There is thus a sequence of momentary perceptions in our immediate memory that allow us to conceive an actual stream of moments of time. It is the brain and its memory that allow us to perceive a series of interlinking moments and thereby experience motion, change, thought.

We exist then in only one moment of time, the now of time, in which there is neither motion, change, nor process. Only because our brains are capable of holding memories are we able to string together several adjacent moments of perceptions to create a stream of memories in which we can realize motion, change, and process. Hence, only by the retention of perceptions (memory) can we be aware of time; and we aren't really aware of time as such, but we are aware instead of change across our stream of remembered perceptions. Change is the reality. Time is only how we have come to understand the volume of change that rushes through our conscious perceptions.

Now we may further ask, are the moments of time discrete and separate or are they continuous and analogous? Do moments of time have a size unto themselves (for example, 10^-32 seconds?) or is time an analogue process in which moments are only abstract notches on a clock face and not actual discrete units of time itself? Here, I think it's important to remind ourselves that time is not the reality; it's actually only a conceptual measuring device whereby we order and measure the changes impinging upon our consciousness relative to artificial mechanisms, clocks and calendars. The clock cycles twice around a twelve hour face from one day to the next; each hour is divided into sixtieth parts called minutes, and each minute divided as well into sixty seconds. The reality measured by the clock is the day; the reality measured by a calendar is the year. The reality is change.

I'm guessing that time is not dimensional, that only the now of time has any substance to it. The dimensions of space, you see, are real, each point is just like the other, although the contents of each point will vary. But with time, only the now is substantial. You can't point to the past; it's only a concept to explain what happened to previous moments of time. The reality is that the past is nothing more than memory. By memory, I mean not only common old human memories but more abstract kinds of "memory". The trashcan beside you as you read these words...memory is the explanation of how it comes to be there, the record of changes that account for its presence, whether those memories are in your head or not. There is no past but memory; there is no future but anticipation and momentum. Thus time is not a reality, not a dimension. Change is the only reality.

Samm

Very well said Samm, Interesting and concise. I saw a show some time ago (A episode of Through the Wormhole) I think, that discussed the theory of time happening all at once. I can't remember much of it now, but I'll see if I can find something on the internet. As an alternate to our perception of time linking moments together.

I've been in doubt about leaving this topic here, or moving it to Philosophy of Science. I'm considering to do so.

Do we know that time is a stream of moments, each linked to and following upon the one immediately before it? I think that my senses perceive only one single moment at a time, and that moment for so brief a duration that I can't measure it, then that moment is gone and the next moment is perceived. I'm quite sure that I don't perceive multiple moments at once; I live in the now of time, not in the past, not in the future, only in the now of the present.
The brain is a complicated and clumsy electrochemical contraption, with spatial extent to it. At scales briefer than about a tenth of a second, you can't distinguish moments. Why is it so difficult to swat or catch a fly? Simple: To the fly you are like a car rolling along the neighborhood's road where boys are kicking a ball around. "Car!!!", calls out the first of them who sees it, someone stops the ball and they patiently step toward the sides of the road. That leisurely car is what our hand looks like to the fly we try to catch. Try counting the flaps of its wings. As for the first question you start with:
Now we may further ask, are the moments of time discrete and separate or are they continuous and analogous?
Down to the smallest scales that measurements have been made at, we don't know of any discrete structure of spce or time. However, the laws of physics can't be taken for granted at briefer scales than Planck length and time and some erroneously confuse this with a statement of discrete structure. If we describe it as continuous, it makes no sense to talk about the one previous moment or the one following one, there will always be countless ones in between.

What is certain is that neighboring points are causally connected. This is why it is at all possible to "remember" past events, because they've had some durable effect. We know that causality somehow gives a distinction between past and future but the how of this isn't all that clear. There is some nexus between this and complexity but, IMHO, many peole put the horse before the cart about it.

The Lorentz covariance of physical laws implies that we can't uniquely define "now" for everywhere. Simultaneity at a given distance depends on the choice of coordinates, to a degree proportianal to the distance. Presentism seems at odds with this.

Edited by Qfwfq
ooops!

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know answers from science for following questions. Please answer

What is the time?

Which observe the time passing?

Who experience the time passing?

To answer what time is in the physical sense. It is commonly thought of as a coordinate. Depending on field of physics being studied it being required being brought into question. In Quantum Mechanics you can workout a Time Independent Schroedinger Equation.

The second two questions really start to delve in philosophy more than physics. As in how long time between events for one to experience a change, etc.

I've been in doubt about leaving this topic here, or moving it to Philosophy of Science. I'm considering to do so.

Qfwfq,

I feel your predicament. Originally I saw URAIN's questions as Physical in nature. Where this thread has digressed is purely Philosophical.

maddog

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to know answers from science for following questions. Please answer

What is the time?

Which observe the time passing?

Who experience the time passing?

1)Time is two things. One is our concept of the measurement of a moving object in the third dimension. The other is the substance of the fourth dimension: space. Contrary to popular belief, space is not "nothing." It is made of an energy called quantum foam that constantly compresses atoms into its 3rd dimension.

2)Everything observes time passing except maybe photons or other elements that skate along the 4th dimension.

3)See last comment.