Science Forums

Subconcious Probability

Queso

I was sitting in one of the eight chairs at the barber shop just a few minutes ago when i thought "well she hasn't hit me once with that scissor" and right as i ended that sentence in my head, she nipped my ear and apologized.

"hmmmm" i thought.

basically, even if that's a really stupid example, i was thinking about what if the mind plays with probability with every single thing around you, and when you should notice something, you sort of do.

geez this is really hard to explain...

is it possible that the brain does that? the brain itself taking in every thing around you (as it does already) and subconciously 'playing' with it and the probability of what it's doing and normal outcome and what-not.

honestly i can't even really explain it, i hope some of you get what i'm trying to say. :)

I think you're onto something there, yes. I think it is a survival tactic that you will find in most animals. "What are the things that can happen at the moment". That you thought about the scissors was kinda obvious given the situation... :)

There's a structure in the brain that decides what stimuli go to your concious and your sub-concious. I'll bet that structure plays some role in what you are describing... i.e. it goes through possible outcomes of everything your brain notices, and sends important "this may happen" messages to your concious.

is it possible that the brain does that? the brain itself taking in every thing around you (as it does already) and subconciously 'playing' with it and the probability of what it's doing and normal outcome and what-not.

Your neural paths are activated by whatever comes to your immediate attention -- sight, smell, sound, a memory you retrieve and follow. It takes several inputs to cause a reaction but I wouldn't call it "playing." It isn't random although it may seem so to you at the time. Neurophysicists can pretty much pinpoint where areas of the brain are activated and why. When you become aware of the memory, you can follow it through a logical sequence and determine what action to take. Our brain is always doing that. No mystery of eureka.

I think you're onto something there, yes. I think it is a survival tactic that you will find in most animals. "What are the things that can happen at the moment". That you thought about the scissors was kinda obvious given the situation... :)
Most animals, including us, are conditioned to react in panic mode to an unknown or unexpected incident. Then we analyze the situation and decide what's going on. Neuorphysicists have researched this phenonomenon extensively. They call it the "bear in the woods" syndrome. First you panic, then you run. Your mental processes don't come into play until after the intial stimulus. But if it is a normal occurance of the bear, in other words, an expected visitor, then you don't panic, but you might run.....

Actually, reading between the lines of the story, I'd bet it was conditioned response: you'd been there before right? You'd been tortured by this same underskilled "barber" in the past, right? Your brain probably picks up a lot more signals than you're consciously aware of, and it recognized some movement she made as "well the *last* time she did *that* I lost a chunk of skin and it was painful." Instead of flinching (a completely autonomic response), it brought the correlation of perceptions into your conscious mind so that you could possibly do something about it. Thus one of my favorite lines "Note to self: next time, duck."....You're just a big Pavlov's dog really....

Also a suggestion: stop going to "barber shops" or even those chains like Supercuts. Go to a beauty salon and find someone who doesn't mutilate your hair (or your ears!). The side benefit is that its actually a great place to pick up girls: some of my friends have found great guys while having their hair done: a guy that isn't self conscious about going to one has probably got a lot of self confidence, and his hair looks better too...

Cheers,

Buffy

Also a suggestion: stop going to "barber shops" or even those chains like Supercuts. Go to a beauty salon and find someone who doesn't mutilate your hair (or your ears!). The side benefit is that its actually a great place to pick up girls: some of my friends have found great guys while having their hair done: a guy that isn't self conscious about going to one has probably got a lot of self confidence, and his hair looks better too...
Hey, STOP SPREADING THIS AROUND. Aging relics like myself need places where the competition is thinner.

Buff- You forgot to mention the thrill of getting your hair washed by someone of the opposite sex. Some of these folks even look like your picture/avatar.

You don't cut hair in your spare time do you?

Hey, STOP SPREADING THIS AROUND. Aging relics like myself need places where the competition is thinner.
Sorry, but really you have little to worry about. It amazes me how few guys have the cojones to walk into a beauty salon...
Buff- You forgot to mention the thrill of getting your hair washed by someone of the opposite sex.
Oh yes! Mine's really cute, but unfortunately he's very gay....Great fingers though!
You don't cut hair in your spare time do you?
Me? Do you have any idea what it does to your nails? No way!

Cheers,

Buffy

Sorry, but really you have little to worry about. It amazes me how few guys have the cojones to walk into a beauty salon...
I don't know why. My stylist is a pretty Bulgarian woman with elegant stature and poor English. She is extraordinarily endearing. Ok, sexy too.

Hmmm. I think I need a hair cut.

I don't know why.
You *don't*???? I thought you were participating in that "homosexuals are evil" thread... Going into a beauty parlor might mean that you're... Well, we're getting *more* than majorly off topic here...

Orb: subconsiously, do you *want* to get your ear sliced off? Is she cute? Maybe if she feels sorry enough for shredding your ear she'll go out with you. Try it!

Cheers,

Buffy

You *don't*???? I thought you were participating in that "homosexuals are evil" thread... Going into a beauty parlor might mean that you're...
Secure. And gays are not evil. They just have inappropariate behaviors. So do I. I don't think going to the salon is one of them.

But I may need to think about it.

I get the impression that replies here missed the point, which asked about the immediate occurence of one event after the other.

There is a very simple expanation Orb. The two events simply happened to occur one after the other. The next n times you're at the barber, try thinking the same thing, or something else if you care dearly about your ears, several times. You might even think that she hasn't dropped the scissors on the floor yet. You might try thinking something nasty every time you see someone riding a bike or whatever. Send us some statistics.

Over here there are fewer and fewer barbers, more and more salons with both guys and gals on the job. I used to go to one where a very cute Roberta works. :) She's the best barber that ever cut my hair, which people usually find oddly more difficult than other heads of hair. I was always glad when it was her that did mine but, although many customers requested their preferred cutter, I never had the coglioni to do so. :) Aside from the excellent results she had a great touch, I always walked out of there feeling great.

i used to go to a salon when i lived in california (i was good friends with a lesbian hairdresser twice my age :) ), now i just stick to those average barber shops.

heh, what an interesting thread this is.

and turtle-that is a really weird coincidence.

qfwfq-say hi to roberta for me! :)

I've also heard say that hair dressers never bother with their own hair, you can understand them too, after doin' everybody else's!

qfwfq-say hi to roberta for me! :(
I've been using the same method as Turtle for quite a while!

Funny coincidence, yeah, they do happen. There are also many more that don't happen!