Science Forums

Past the spectrum and beyond!

Queso

I was thinking about how dogs respond to those whistles that we can't hear, but they can.

does anybody know what frequency those things whistle at?

i was thinking in the future i want to make a song with a title about dogs. the song itself will have nothing to do with dogs at all, it will confuse people. but in the song i want to add that whistle, or many, and just high generated frequencies (past 20kHz) to make dogs in the same room as the listener go nuts.

is this possible with speakers? it should be, considered no matter what the source, the air is still moving the sound. and with speakers, the potential could be even greater.

thinking about stuff like this is fun. ;)

yeah. ow something just hit me.

most studio monitors, REALLY GOOD SPEAKERS, only respond to 20khz.

normal household computer speakers i don't think can even go up to 17.

this would mean that it would be completely useless, unless everybody had beyond epic speakers.

oh well, in theory, it can be done!

also, trying to get speakers to respond and produce high frequencies i don't believe can be damaging. (i do not know for a fact, but i would be VERY surprised)

it's the low frequencies that cause the cone to move around all crazy and eventually tear, or other kinds of damage.

yeah. ow something just hit me.

most studio monitors, REALLY GOOD SPEAKERS, only respond to 20khz.

normal household computer speakers i don't think can even go up to 17.

this would mean that it would be completely useless, unless everybody had beyond epic speakers.

oh well, in theory, it can be done!

Now we are talking stereo gear, one of my several historical fanaticisms. Dog whistles actually aren't that high. I think they are in the 6000-12000 cycle range. Almost any medium quality speaker will do this range just fine. For frequencies higher than 20k, most speakers reproduce these too, they are just typlcally lower volume. But even poor speakers are not usually down 20DB at that frequency, so if the program material was not rich with lower frequencies to drown it out, the speakers would do just fine. I suspect the dogs would go nuts even if there was a lot of lower frequency interference.

I found a site that even demos their whistles with computer speakers- not an environment know for particularly high fidelity:

http://www.musichouseshop.com/store/iw-11006.html

PS- I have a 25-year-old set of Magnaplanar MGIIB's. I suspect they would make any dog wet the carpet with the correct program material.

wow 6-12? that really amazes me. for some reason i was under the impression it was around 30.

i even have some EQ's that go up to 30....which i don't see why is necessary.

they way i saw it was...you can't hear the dog whistles. but if they are 6khz-12, can you? (you should be able to, right?) i've never heard one in person so i really don't know..

"Magnaplanar MGIIB's" nice ;)

i even have some EQ's that go up to 30....which i don't see why is necessary.
It is probably not, but it doesn't take any power to reproduce those frequencies. Some folks think you get some spatial information out of high frequency noise. Could be true.

they way i saw it was...you can't hear the dog whistles. but if they are 6khz-12, can you? (you should be able to, right?)

Yes. Young folks can often hear up to about 20k. I could easily hear 15khz burgular alarm transmitters in my teens. I had to avoid some stores where they were particularly loud. Most folks begin to lose high-frequency hearing as they age. Folk that spend a lot of time in loud environments (e.g., artillery, rock concerts, etc) lose high frequency hearing sooner.
"Magnaplanar MGIIB's" nice ;)
Yes, and I have a 15-year-old Velodyne 15" subwoofer as well biamped into place. These babies are a match made in heaven. The live recording CD of the beginning of "Phantom of the opera" scares people. It makes me cry.

• 11 months later...

Okay, I know this isn't consumer reports, but I've come to appreciate very much the insights and experience of the folks here at Hypo...

I'm buying a house, and have a great stereo (Onkyo 7.1 setup w/gold connecters, HD inputs, etc) and speakers already (Bose surround and two tall Wharfdale floor standing towers), but coming from an apartment never had a subwoofer. I feel it's time to purchase one, but can't spend more than about $600. For the budget I mention, what would you suggest is my BEST possible option? The best "boom for my buck?"

Cheers, and thanks. :eek2:

for best boom for buck i suggest going to a pawn shop and buying 4-8 cheep 10"-15" subs(check for damage first of course) and linking them in together. you can build your own amp with cheap parts if you don't have one capable of driving them all at once to start.

That'll give ya some major boom.

Just had a thought...

What say someone here knows someone who knows someone who has access to the city air raid alarm system?

Then experiment a bit with dogs to find the exact pitch that skullf*cks them completely!

Then make a recording of it, and somehow slip it into the air raid alarm system, replacing the original siren!

Then let it go off somewhere between two and three in the morning!

Absolutely nobody will know what's wrong, but all of a sudden, the whole town will go bananas!

It will take them ages to figure out the cause of why the dogs are going nuts!

Now that can be fun!:angel:

@IN: jst because they're used don't mean they're low quality. look for rubber edges, those are the best ones. I've got a used stack I'm using right now, some German brand. they're bloody awesome and the two twin 10" towers(4 10" speakers total) only set me back around $50.

For brand new, I'd sugggest you just hit up e-bay or your local circuit city.

Back to dog whistles for a second.

Apparently, I can hear the dog whistle, but my dog can't. I hear an ever so slight high pitch whine if I blow it at full volume.

My bird dog ignores the whistle completely, but it drives the border collie bananas.

So why is that? Might Orby's Canine Symphony only be listenable to by a select few breeds?

TFS

I was thinking about how dogs respond to those whistles that we can't hear, but they can.

does anybody know what frequency those things whistle at?

Eh, I have a dog whistle, and I can hear it. It has a thing to adjust the frequency, but I can hear it at all of the frequencies it gives you the option of doing.

It probably depends on the quality of the whistle, but yeah, mine doesn't seem to be quite out of the human range of frequencies. Or maybe I'm sensitive to high frequency. either way, I don't suggest buying them online. They may just be duds. Go to that pet store near your house and ask if they have any.

With pro tools, can't you make high frequencies beyond the human's hearing range? and, if so, you probably don't need any whistles, right?