Science Forums

Yay! chocolate is good for your health

Aki

Well that's interesting logic. "Everyone's gonna get sick and also die anyway, might as well not try to avoid anything that might do these things to you, even if it's trivially easy to avoid doing a harmful thing."...
Like most folks, I pretty much balance risk and reward. Eating rare beef is not particularly harmful (although arguably rare gound beef is higher risk than some might tolerate).

Disliking rare beef is perfecly reasonable. Suggesting it is dangerous is probably not reasonable compared to other risks that we accept regularly in the normal course of events. That was my only point.

like today for example. i was driving maxing my car out at 115 down the interstate with a sausage mcmuffin in one hand and a greasy steering wheel in the other, blasting my music and only had gotten 1 hour of sleep the night before, and just woke up. i didn't think anything of it, but one false move and i could have been dead meat!

Rare meat isn't uncooked, it's cooked to a lesser degree. It's the cooking that makes it go first bright red, then later brown. Of course, different organisms will survive different amounts of cooking, just as some will better survive chewing and digestion than others. There is always a risk especially as we've lost some of our defences, we'd never eat the way some other animals do.

I don't trust myself to do rare meat but, done by a trained cook, I enjoy it the odd time.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Can chocolate cure hypochondria?

Listen Now - 19112006 |� Download Audio - 19112006

Associate Professor in Latin Humanism Yasmin Haskell from the University of Western Australia talks about the history of hypochondria and benefits of chocolate.

Show Transcript | Hide Transcript

Transcript

Robyn Williams: So, how's your hypochondria? Feeling as if you've got one of those new diseases you've read about, or heard about the other day? Science has so many to offer now that most of us must have something lurking there. Do the right test and it'll be revealed. That's why some of us avoid tests; rather not know.

But is it worse now, for hypochondriacs? Because medicine has so many ailments on its list. What if you lived hundreds of years ago when malady was mysterious, or the diagnosis plain wrong; was there more hypochondria in that fog of unknowing?

Well Yasmin Haskell is just the person to ask. Her last appearance on this program was to talk about the poetry of bygone times, in which a wealth of detail was revealed about medical practice, good and bad. Now she's looking at hypochondria, which isn't the same thing as we talk about today, and chocolate. Yes, the wonder food from the New World, given to sacrificial victims as a pacifier before their hearts were cut out by priests. Chocolate was already, in olden times, seen as a remedy of choice. Here's why.

Yasmin Haskell, on Can chocolate cure hypochondria?

Ockham's Razor - 19 November 2006  - Can chocolate cure hypochondria?

it's sick to eat something that is covered in red, btw. It is ALMOST as eating uncocked meat.

BTW, about the chocolate and health, it is nice to know my hobby of eat chocolate for past 10 years is coming together nicely :teeth:

if this research gets momentum, then it could have impact on health as well as economy as well.

Chocolate is very, very good for you...

unfortunately it needs to be dark and unrefined... which doesn't taste nearly as good :teeth:

Raw cocoa, and extra-dark chocolates are usually rich in both of two highly beneficial, closely related types of polyphenol antioxidants:

Flavan-3-ols: These include the epicatechin and catechin that make white, green, and black tea heart-healthy. Certain ones—notably the EGCG in green and white tea—possess anti-cancer properties.

Proanthocyanidins: Flavan-3-ols (i.e., catechin, epicatechin) can link up to form these powerfully antioxidant compounds, which are most abundant in cocoa, dark chocolate, and red wine.

I remember this from Food and Nutrition.. its a bit 'squinty' to look at, but dark chocolate is an anti-oxidant powerhouse! :eek2:

Speak for yourself...

Mmmmm, raspberries,

Buffy

I agree. :love:

A marriage made in heaven :)

I tried real, unsweetened chocolate for the first time last week. (The sort Mexicans use to cook Chicken in).

Strange, bitter flavour, more like strong, bitter coffee.

I think I could acquire a taste for it however- if I worked hard at it. :)