Science Forums

Yay! chocolate is good for your health

Aki

YES!!!!!!!!! i love chocolate.
Orb- You may recall that I accused you of being female before (I can't recall where I got the impression) but this post would have built on the impression if you had not identified your gender explicitly previously. I have NEVER heard a male exclaim the virtues of chocolate. I really thought this was a sex-linked characteristic. This would be a great poll.

hahahah yeah i figured that would happen. i just have a passion for good food, it's something that never lets me down.
Well, my food-lust list would certainly be topped by 1) rare steaks, nicely charred 2) really fresh pesto 3) a short list of cream based soups and bisques 4) Ahi with wasabi (and most sushi) and 5) really good cabernets.

And I suspect that chocolate would not hit my top 10 (although cheescake might).

I have to admit I get a chocolate hankering around Easter. Must be family tradition or something.

Biochemist: Well, my food-lust list would certainly be topped by 1) rare steaks, nicely charred...

TeleMad: Isn't that called Pittsburgh rare?

I never heard that. And I worked in Pittsburgh for six months a couple of years ago.

Many years ago I worked as a cook in Wilmington, DE and when a customer asked for his/her steak to be Pittsburgh rare we'd throw it on the grill then continually pour oil on the flames to make them flare up and engulf the steak. The outside would be charred but the interior would still be rare.

Many years ago I worked as a cook in Wilmington, DE and when a customer asked for his/her steak to be Pittsburgh rare we'd throw it on the grill then continually pour oil on the flames to make them flare up and engulf the steak. The outside would be charred but the interior would still be rare.

I Googled "Pittsburgh rare" and found this...

”May 03, 2004

Pittsburgh Rare

A culinary term unique to the region, "Pittsburgh rare" is my favorite way to eat steak (and I didn't even grow up here!). Often referred to as "black and blue," meat that is ordered Pittsburgh rare comes charred on the outside and blood red rare on the inside.” (http://pittsburgh.about.com/b/a/083337.htm)

Traditional in Florence too! The "fiorentina" includes a bit of the ox'es spine. It was banned because of mad cow disease and there was quite a to-do, because of ancient tradition being banned. Someone organized an auction of these cuts just before the ban took effect, just a form of civil protest with the money going to charity, many names including Elton John showed up and made their bids.

Yuck. Why would anyone order a rare steak? Without the meat being properly cooked all kinds of parasites' cysts and harmful bacteria could remain viable and be ingested.
Hmmm. Then I certainly hope that you never eat fresh vegetables. You would never guess who handled those. Even if you wash your veggies religiously with soap (some folks do) that just makes you feel better. It does not clean the veggies.

And you should certainly never get in a car. You far more likely to incur significant morbidity from your automobile than from rare beef.

And rare beef is heaven.

Hmmm. Then I certainly hope that you never eat fresh vegetables. You would never guess who handled those. Even if you wash your veggies religiously with soap (some folks do) that just makes you feel better. It does not clean the veggies.

And you should certainly never get in a car. You far more likely to incur significant morbidity from your automobile than from rare beef.

And rare beef is heaven.

Well that's interesting logic. "Everyone's gonna get sick and also die anyway, might as well not try to avoid anything that might do these things to you, even if it's trivially easy to avoid doing a harmful thing."

So do you avoid smoking? Do you try to avoid becoming obese? Do you avoid drinking and using street drugs at the same time? Do you avoid eating human brains? Do you avoid eating dog crap?