Science Forums

Fantastic Contraption

InfiniteNow

I ...just finished Down Under (level 15)...
Nice! I love the graceful movement and the way it "touches down" in the Pink Zone.

I made the mistake of looking at other solutions to Down Under after I did mine. Wow! :doh: There are a lot of REALLY talented engineers out there. Better than me by far.

Pyrotex

Nice! I love the graceful movement and the way it "touches down" in the Pink Zone.

I made the mistake of looking at other solutions to Down Under after I did mine. Wow! There are a lot of REALLY talented engineers out there. Better than me by far.

Thanks Pyrotex,

that means a lot to me. ;)

Yes I did the same thing and there are a lot of very cleaver people out there.

(but I think your just being modest) :doh:

I just finished Awash (level 16)...

I just finished Handling (level 17)...I'm on a roll :doh:

I bet you are. And I bet your solutions are wizard. But I have GOT to solved "Awash" on my own without looking first at other solutions.

I tried tossing a tiny "go-cart" over the avalanche of balls. But I haven't yet made a catapult strong enough. ;)

I'm noticing THREE entirely different families of solutions.

1. Designed Solutions. Logical approach, logical construction, obvious (or nearly obvious) strategy. However, some solutions may be a lot easier than others. But their strategies are still pretty clear.

2. Chaotic Solutions. Near-random assembly of parts, no logic in the construction, strategies that defy understanding, and WHY IT WORKS at all is as much dumb luck as wizardry.

3. Wizard Solutions. Minimum parts. No fluff, no brute force. Just a total genius understanding of mechanics. Obvious ONLY AFTER you see it work. Bafflingly clever.

So far, all of my solutions have been Class 1, except for one, which was a marginal Class 2.

Hurrah! I have vanquished "Awash". Basically, I went under all the balls. But to do this, I had to (once again) rely on a rotary powered push-thruster. Frankly, I'm amazed that it works at all.

Here it is

EDIT: I see now that I made a mistake in it! I attached some structure to a wheel rim instead of wheel hub. But it made the design better! A beneficial mutation! Darwin was right!!!!! :doh:

Hurrah! I have vanquished "Awash". Basically, I went under all the balls. But to do this, I had to (once again) rely on a rotary powered push-thruster. Frankly, I'm amazed that it works at all.

Here it is

EDIT: I see now that I made a mistake in it! I attached some structure to a wheel rim instead of wheel hub. But it made the design better! A beneficial mutation! Darwin was right!!!!! :agree:

Nice one! :)

i am on level 18 and this is what i was trying to do at first...

Fantastic Contraption: A fun online physics puzzle game

ya i know pitiful

then i realized duh!!! if the bottom piece of wood fits then....

It became a juggling act at after building the "kart" of moving the main piece around to balance it out.

Here it is

EDIT: I see now that I made a mistake in it! I attached some structure to a wheel rim instead of wheel hub. But it made the design better! A beneficial mutation! Darwin was right!!!!! :agree:

Here was mine. Brute force.

Bill