Science Forums

There is no global water issue

jandek

The UN and many other organisations predict substantial freshwater shortage in 2025.

Is this another way to raise funds for this spending and traveling circus or do they really believe that there is a problem ?.

We are convinced that there is no problem since there are oceans of water and the sun is there. The sun is delivering per day as much energy as we consume per annum.

So all we have to do is use it , we did it for the production of freshwater (small scale) but are convinced that there are lots of other ways to use solar energy. There is more then PV and more then our application . For those interested in our system please look at our Solar desalination website to get an idea.

But we are even more interested in your opinion on the above.

There is no doubt that the technology exists to prevent a freshwater shortage. The issue comes to bear that when it matters, who is going to fund the desalination plants? The 3rd world is where it is going to be felt (In some areas already being felt). In many areas water is plentiful, but not sanitary.

This is nothing new. The 3rd world has always been expendable in the leading worlds eyes. The only resource many of these nations have is cheap unskilled labor. This can be found cheaper in China, and we do not have to invest in their livelihoods. Only if it would alter the status quo do we get concerned. Just look at Sudan. We don't care if there is sanctioned rape, genocide, and torture; they do not have anything we need. Let them kill themselves. This POV saturates the western civilizations. Not that there are not those out there that oppose this mentality; but we are in the minority.

While the first person sounds like spam to me (who are the "we" in the last sentence?) there is not doubt that freshwater shortage is a real issue.

From CNN:

U.N.: 1 billion people lack safe drinking water

The United Nations says more than 1.1 billion people around the world lack safe water and 2.4 billion have no access to sanitation, leading to more than 3 million deaths every year.

"People who can turn on a tap and have safe and clean water to drink, to cook with and to bathe in often take it for granted, and yet more than 1 billion of our fellow human beings have little choice but to use potentially harmful sources of water," said Dr. Lee Jong-Wook, head of the World Health Organization.

http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/22/un.water.day.ap/index.html

While the first person sounds like spam to me (who are the "we" in the last sentence?) there is not doubt that freshwater shortage is a real issue.

I wonder if he even bothered to read my news article on porphyrin nanotubes. With the exponential rate of exponential growth of technology I think we will have water purification systems well in place over the next 20 years.

• 3 weeks later...

From Jandek's site:

"But the sun delivers only 28.800 kJ per day per sq meter at 30 C just enough for 12 L fresh water......."

The balance could actually be improved by making things as efficient as possible. In the limit case, with water coming out at hardly more than the incoming temperature, you could have much more throughput than the ratio of solar heat to water's specific heat. C1ay's link would be a good thing for production of fuel but is superfluous for just distilling.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I wonder if he even bothered to read my news article on porphyrin nanotubes. With the exponential rate of exponential growth of technology I think we will have water purification systems well in place over the next 20 years.

To be fair, there is alot of information on this site. Even if you take the time to do a search before posting, the results you get are often not really what you wish to talk about.