Science Forums

Wildflowers

Turtle

:D :rain: the rainy & unseasonably cool weather continues, although i hear they think el niño is breaking. :clue: who we gonna call? :phone: so staying in the yard, the largeleaf avens is going to seed. :) the little sickle shaped extensions at the ends of the seed tips are deciduous, and after falling there is left a short reverse hook. :clue:

seed-head largeleaf avens - Geum macrophyllum (aka bigleaf avens)

may 24, 2010

garden pot

clark county washington - native

seed-head:

• 2 weeks later...

:eek_big: the rain continues unabated...well, occasional abating but that's just to tease a person out & then dump on 'em. :shrug: i emptied 2 inches full from my gauge in the last two days alone. today cleared, well...dried, & i stopped by that undeveloped lot to check on the lupines that weren't open the last time & to see what else was up. will get to the lupine (do you say loo-pine, or loo-pin? ;)) as soon as i pin down the id & i have this invader already in da sack. :D you know what to do. :)

Vicia villosa - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

winter vetch - Vicia villosa (aka hairy vetch, wooly vetch)

june 5, 2010

vacant lot

se clark county washington - introduced

blooms & all view:

so thens, getting back to the promised lupine. the id turned on the type of hairiness found on the stems. these are strigillose (many small hairs pressed to the stem pointing in one direction) & writing in flora of the pacific northwest, hitskids and conksthem say this makes it a different variety of large-leaf lupine than the one i gave in post #198. my stick in the whole-plants view is 37" tall for scale. :clue:

Lupinus polyphyllus var. polyphyllus - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

:eek_big: :photos:

bigleaf lupine - Lupinus polyphyllus polyphyllus

june 5, 2010

empty lot

blooms:

whole-plants view:

• 4 weeks later...

wow! a month since my last offering. :clap: that's because it rained all of june for the intents & purposes here prospected. :) weather broke 3 4 days ago & went immediately to the mid-90's. :bounce: :clue: a new marine system moved in though & yesterday was splendiferous so me, racoon, & buffalo headed out to the mountains. we hiked siouxon creek trail(s) for 7 miles & it made all right with the world. :hihi:

:turtle:

this plant is ubiquitous here and can form thickets so dense as to virtually deny passage. it didn't stop Lewis & Clarke, but they saw it fit for a similar desription. the berries when they arrive are edible, and like many of the native fruits, slala berries found their way into that native american staple, pemmican. the plant had medicinal uses as well. :shrug: here's a listing of 82 ethnobotanical applications: >> university of michigan native american ethnobotany library

the other plant in the whole-plant view is an oxalis; probably Oxalis trifolia (great wood-sorrel) or Oxalis oregana (Oregon wood-sorrel). it was the predominant plant that we saw on the forest floor along the trail.

Gaultheria shallon - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

salal- Gaultheria shallon

july 10, 2010

siouxon creek

gifford pinchot national forest - native

bloom:

whole plant view:

• 3 weeks later...

i've had the happy fortune to make 2 more short outings; guess i'll just get to it. :bouquet:you know what to do. :) :cyclops:

this plant is introduced from europe purposefully, as the seed heads were used to card wool prior to spinning & to raise the knap on fabrics. :turtle: >> Textile Tools – Teasel « Dances with Wools. the attached image below the flower shots shows a teasel frame. :clue:

Dipsacus fullonum - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

fuller's teasel - Dipsacus fullonum

july 27, 2010

steigerwald lake national wildlife refuge

clark county washington - introduced

blooms:

whole-plant view:

:lol: more from steigerwald lake refuge along the columbia river. B) the attached leaf detal shows the identifying featues of a trifoliate leaf and leaf-like stipules (indicated by red arrows). B)

Thermopsis montana - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

mountain golden-banner - Thermopsis montana (aka hitchcock's thermopsis, mountain false lupine, mountain golden bean)

july 27, 2010

blooms:

whole-plant view:

for being a refuge, there sure were a lot of introduced plants. hikers must stay on the trail, so maybe they're just more common along the trail. B)

but, i digress. . . . B)

Tanacetum vulgare - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

common tansy - Tanacetum vulgare

july 27, 2010

blooms:

whole plant view:

this particular specimen could be either native or introduced, as we apparently have both here. :P :P it was growing alongside a big-leaf lupine alongside the parking lot drive. in the whole-plant view, the yarrow are the dark green leaves toward lower left in the frame; the backdrop plant is the lupine. :))

the attached images include a leaf detail and a scenic view across the refuge. the view is looking ~se, the mountain is mount hood, and the little light dot on the cliff top at crown point along the columbia gorge is vista house. the river is ~ a mile from this vantage.

:shrug:

yarrow lore: >> botanical.com - A Modern Herbal | Yarrow

Achillea millefolium - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

yarrow - Achillea millefolium (aka common yarrow, milfoil)

july 27, 2010

steigerwald lake natinal wildlife refuge

clark county washington - native & introduced populations

blooms:

whole-plant view:

i have just one more flower from steigerwald lake, but i can't id it yet. :D in the mean time, i have a wildflower in my back yard that i have been waiting 2 years to id; it is now apparent it is biennial. :shrug: tant pis for this plant that it's introduced; it wont last the day now. :P

anyway, it is a spectacular specimen, reaching a full 8 feet. :( like many burr-seeded plants, this one is given credit for inspiring velcro. :P my buddy just shot a nice macro with his slr for me & i have added it as an attachment on account of its large size. danke ace!! :) :bow:

Arctium minus - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

common burdock - Arctium minus (aka lesser bur®dock)

july 30, 2010

suburbia

blooms:

whole-plant view:

this one is from the siouxon creek trek early july. 3 to 5 leaves, 1 flower; what could be more simple & direct? :) B)

Clintonia uniflora - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

queen's cup - Clintonia uniflora (aka bride's-bonnet)

july 11, 2010

siouxon creek - gifford pinchot national forest

skamania county washington - native

bloom & whole-plant:

siouxon creek trail, july 10, 2010...

racoon san: (delivered with a smirk while grasping a stalk of blooms)) "hey turtle: what's this?" :jab:

turtle dork: (delivered sheepishly) "uhh....i don't know. but i have been seeing it for years now." :loser:

aha!! got it now biotches!!! :bounce: not listed in my wildflowers guide, but in my trees & shrubs of washingtonm http://www.amazon.com/Trees-Shrubs-Washington-C-Lyons/dp/1551050943 guide! even then, they start the description there by saying it's not really a shrub because it dies to the ground every year. :rant: :hyper: anyways, while not-so-great (ok; it sucks :kick:), my close-up photograph of the blooms is as good as 95% of others i have reviewed. the plant is dioecious & i'm not at all sure if i have shot a boy or a girl. :photos: :shrug:

this is another of the many native plants i am finding that the native americans used as something of a cure-all. (take 2 aspirin & call me in the morning. :lol:) the common theme according to my ethnobotanical source of favor is that the part of the plant used is the roots. :D

anyways, here it be & better late than never. . . . . :turtle:

Aruncus dioicus - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

goatsbeard - Aruncus dioicus (aka sylvan goatsbeard, bride's feathers)

july 10, 2010

blooms:

whole-plant view:

siouxon creek trail, july 10, 2010...

turtle turtle: (stops midstep and drops to the ground to nose into a damp bank) ooooo!!! you guys walked right past these!!!

animal animal: (raccoon & buffalo both stop, again, & wordlessly, but with light chuckles, roll their eyes to skies. ;))

turtle turtle: thnx for your patience animals. :yes: did you see where i put my spectales? :bouquet: :doh: :rotfl:

onward. . . . . . . :idea: :idea:

Tiarella trifoliata - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

three-leaved foamflower - Tiarella trifoliata

july 10, 2010

sioxon creek - gifford pinchot natiuonal forest

bloom:

whole-plant view:

this one took a while. after journeying half way across the state on a hitched ride for a 45 minute walkabout, i was hoping for a native...i got a class b noxious weed that can puncture bike tires. :lol: :lol: :lol: you get what you pay for i guess. :lol:

Tribulus terrestris - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

puncture-vine - Tribulus terrestris

july 25, 2010

pasco suburbia

franklin county washington- introduced; class b noxious weed in washington

bloom:

whole-plant view:

back to my side of the cascades & siouxon creek. this one not in my picture books any more than was the previous east-side weed so i turtled along on it looking to stumble on the id. . . . . . :lol: found it just now & worth the trip as it's a native with a nice name. ahhh....brook-foam...:lol:

Boykinia occidentalis - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

coastal brookfoam - Boykinia occidentalis

july 11, 2010

blooms:

whole-plant view:

you may have noticed the photos disappeared & i've got a little work to do getting the images re-linked to the new gallery :artgallery:; no worries. in the mean time, a new weed from my yard. details of clasping spiny leaf, seed-head, & seed-detail attached. :turtle: :photos:

burke herbarium -Sonchus asper

spiny sow-thistle - Sonchus asper (aka prickly sow-thistle, spiny-leaf sow-thistle)

august 20, 2010

garden

bloom:

whole-plant view: