Science Forums

Wildflowers

Turtle

:smile: thnx 4 the thnx m jones. your state flower is a lupine if i recall. on further checking of my "new" key, i find they do not list any varieties of L. bicolor; i think i saw them mentioned at the usda site. :huh: small or large, they are challenging to photograph. :hyper:

on now to the next undeveloped lot liver, this one another intruder. :) :hyper: i also found a purple/pink one with very similar calyxes & leaves, but i have yet to isolate the species. it has very deeply divided petals as does the white campion pictured here. :smart: . . . . . . . . :clue: :eek2:

Silene latifolia - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

white campion - Lychnis alba Silene latifolia

may 9, 2010

se clark county washington - introduced

blooms:

whole-plant view:

i received my copy of Flora of the Pacific Northwest today. :eek2: over 700 pages of terse jargon, abbreviations, & 1/2 scale technical drawings. :read: the glossary alone runs 9 pages & the list of abbreviations runs 2 pgs.. :eek: :smile: i like that they put them in the very front of the tome.

I knew you'd like it. ;)

:hyper: quick! what does scarious mean?

I'll use it in a sentence. Freddy Kruger tends to scarious. :hihi: ;)

:) this will take me a year or two just to learn the terminology.

I admire the ambition!

:hihi: off to try & key out a couple more mysteries from the last outing. :clue: :smart:

it's just a flower...it's just a flower...it's just a flower.... ••-• •-•• ----- • •-• :huh:____ :clue:

You tell me you want a woman who's

As simple as a flower.

Well if you want me to act like that,

You'd better pay me by the hour.:hyper:

I knew you'd like it. ;)

You tell me you want a woman who's

As simple as a flower.

Well if you want me to act like that,

You'd better pay me by the hour.:phones:

I hate flowers. I only paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move. :phones:

;) i've been seeing this next one for a couple years, hunkering in shady areas along roads. :cyclops: so too i found it in the lot, albeit hunkering a shaded fence-line. in spite of trying, i only just finally id'd it. :bounce: invader! :Alien: :rolleyes: let me introduce you to my little frien'. :Alien: :phones: :rotfl:

Vinca major - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

greater periwinkle - Vinca major (aka bigleaf periwinkle)

may 9, 2010

clark county washington - introduced

bloom:

whole-plant view:

i was dead certain this was cutleaf daisy, E. compositus, right up to 10 seconds after i posted identifying it as that. :bounce: :rotfl: i hate that!! :phones: after deleting that post & spending an hour with hitchcock & cronquist i can say with assuredy, this aint no stinking daisy! (nicht aster oder fleabane) nor is this a stinking chamomile, A. cotula, which is about the only other choice for the characteristics i have. i do have this little weedy captive, having rescued it from moweage of the fieldage. ;) now on further interrogation, it is destined for Scrapus heapusii. :cyclops:

the id came down primarily to the number of petals, mine 15, and the leaf form, mine doubly pinnatiform. the involucre didn't help me reading the key, but the burke photos match. :phones: :rolleyes: no one mentioned the indented ray tips, which seems an obvious feature for pointing out to me. :Alien: :phones:

Anthemis arvensis - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

corn chamomile - Anthemis arvensis (aka field chamomile, dog fennel, mayweed)

may 10, 2010

bloom:

whole-plant view:

there was a ton of this in the lot & i felt a disturbance in the force telling me it was a weed called pepperpod. turns out it's "pepperweed" & i found that in short order @ burke & co. :sherlock: i didn't collect one & hope no klingons got in my cuffs. :Alien: :lol: attachment is as good as i got of the pods. :photos:

forward hoe! :turtle: :photos:

Lepidium campestre - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

field pepperweed - Lepidium campestre (aka field peppergrass, field pepperwort, field cress)

may 9, 2010

blooms:

whole-plant view:

back in post #189 i plopped down white campion from the lot & called it Silene latifolia. then hickup & crotchrip called it - Lychnis alba, then oddoobon says Lychnis alba is out & Silene latifolia in, but burke doesn't list Lychnis dioica or a Silene latifolia dioica but i got me a non-white campion & i'm gonna call it as i see it. :photos: :Alien: none the easier to see either since these seem to be occasionally dioecious. :sherlock: pretty introduced flower though, huh? :photos: :turtle:

Ontario Wildflowers - Red Campion (Lychnis dioica)

red campion - Lychnis dioica (possibly also as Silene latifolia dioica)

may 10, 2010

clark county washington - introduced

bloom:

whole-plant view:

these have been blooming in my garden for a few days & i got hung up watching the leaves thinking that it was sitka valerian. :clue: but, then it bloomed & i was flummoxed. :D i had a sitka valerian once growing inside, but don't recall planting it ouside. :confused: i may not have even collected this on purpose, rather it may have hitched a ride in a clump of soil i collected for another plant. :shrug: mine is not to question why, mine is but to shoot & fly. anyway, got past the blockage this morning & bob's your uncle i found the id! :bounce: :photos:

Hydrophyllum tenuipes - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

pacific waterleaf - Hydrophyllum tenuipes

may 13, 2010

garden

clark county washington - native

blooms:

whole-plant view:

Went hiking in North Georgia yesterday and got some good pictures.

This one is a Conopholos americana, also known as squaw root or cancer root. It is a plant, but it does not photosynthesize and instead feeds on the roots of oaks and beeches (saprophytic).

The yellow parts are the flowers and you can even see some stamens poking out of some of them.

More to come...

Went hiking in North Georgia yesterday and got some good pictures.

More to come...

:confused: excellent! in spite of some non-rainy weather, i can't go walkabout as i have to stick around home to dig out some invasive dickweed that came up in front. thought in the meantime i'd go with a specimen in my garden that i have variously misidentified over the years. now armed with h&c, i have pinned my lupine to the fence. :D the key to my variety turns on stems that are quite fistulous and sparsely hirsute. i'll spare the photos of those details & you can take my word on it. :shrug:

anyway, this is about the biggest lupine there be; mine are @ 4 feet tall & still rising, the leaves 8" across with the individual leaflets 4" long x 1 1/4" wide. :bounce: :photos:

Lupinus polyphyllus - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

bigleaf lupine - Lupinus polyphyllus pallidipes

may 13, 2010

garden

blooms:

whole-plant view:

i thought i had curly dock - Rumex crispus, but it turns out to be its little cousin sheep sorrel -Rumex acetosella. it's growing, erhm... was growing...along the edge of my drive in gravel. :lol: you know what to do. . . . . :D :lol:

Rumex acetosella - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

sheep sorrel - Rumex acetosella (aka common sheep sorrel)

may 14, 2010

driveway

blooms:

whole-plant view:

right next to the ugly weed in the front drive, beauty. :photos: (if this turns out as an invader too, it's gone beauty or not. :lol:) the petals measure a scarce 2 mm & the entire bloom a scarce 5mm (~3/16"). while i dislike not knowing the id before posting, i thought i better bring somethin' to the party. :xparty: inspite of hours of searching, i haven't a clue about this one. the blooms open & close, but whether in response to the light or the rain i do not yet know. maybe even they close when fertilized and it's new ones opening. :shrug: the plants occupy a patch of growth that appears to be many plants, matted & recumbant. :naughty:

flower - unknown

may 14, 2010

driveway

clark county washington ?

bloom:

whole-plant(s) view:

staying with the mystery theme, i have this little number from today. :lol: i got as far as maybe a Draba, but that's it. :naughty: it came up volunteer in a garden bed in association with Oxalis suksdorfii, a plant ranked state sensitive that also came up there volunteer & that i have been harboring. (the Oxalis is those "clover" looking leaves in the whole-plant view image. :clue:) :tree: anyways on the maybe Draba, after i shotted it in situ, i potted it in kitchoo. :D from that vantage i measured the petals @~ 2mm l & w, and the entire bloom a heavy 7mm. ready...set...identify!! :shrug: :photos:

edit: >> too slows joes, this Brassicaceae family weed must goes. :dog: :xparty: http://biology.burke.washington.edu/herbarium/imagecollection/taxon.php?ID=1025

draba?

sweet alyssum - Lobularia maritima (aka sweet alison)

may 17, 2010

garden

clark county washington -introduced from the western mediterranean

blooms:

whole-plant view:

:rainumbrella: :rain: :weather_rain: :weather_snowing: :cry: so it's mid-may & we have a winter storm moving in that may drop snow down to 3,000 feet & most certainly is dropping the rain in the foothills. yesterday i collected [math]frac 3 4[/math] inch in the gauge, more is falling, & they say we may not see sun 'til next monday. :smilingsun: :naughty: :photos: :naughty: :rant:

anyways thens, while biding my time for some clearage to make it afield i searched my archive for some flower shots i never got to & found some that i just got to again that i got to two years ago too but never got to an id to too, erhm...also. :reallyconfused: back then, this is what freezy said about that. :read:

Turtle, it's not a spreading phlox. ;)

this was/is over in the died-on-the-vine wildflower social club which has no post numbers or quotes so this page link will hafta do & puts one, or two, on the right page...which is four. >> Science Forums - Wildflowers

so i took those shots over there on page four two years ago on this exact date two-thousand-eight and they fairly well match almost exactly those shots i just posted here three posts back or so in post #200. (possibly because it's the same plants. :loser: :hyper:) so, i guess now i know what the phlox it isn't. so, what the fox is it? :detective: :turtle: invader :thumbs_do , or native :thumbs_up ??

then:

now:

found this one in the archive too & it is from that may 2 trip to the lacamas heritage trail & i think i thunk it was another Lomatium. ;) well, not anymore. :) packed that idea in an american rocket & launched it. :phones: :phones: here's some overhead shots then. :phones:

Barbarea orthoceras - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

american yellow-rocket - Barbarea orthoceras (aka american wintercress)

may 2, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

blooms:

whole-plant view: