Science Forums

Wildflowers

Turtle

so thens dear tender juicy well marbled readers & lookers; for a little change-up i have this one up for an id contest on account of freezy's givin' me the idea. :D prize is...erhm...permission to print a hard copy of the blooms photo plus world-wide bragging rights for 10 days & in-home bragging rights in perpetuity. :idea: :( ready...set...identify! ;)

edit: Erucastrum gallicum - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

common dogmustard - Erucastrum gallicum (aka hairy rocket)yellow flowers -

may 2, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

clark county washington - introduced

blooms:

whole-plant view:

Hi Everybody I am a new member of this forum i would love to share my knowledge and experience here..

:hi: hi shane. :D

I'm not sure, but I'd have to go with Erucastrum gallicum.

mmmm....i think you may have it. 'course, i'd have to know myself to say and...well... i erhm... don't. :eek2: :hyper: i think you may have it on some review though; certainly it's in the Brassicaceae family. your pick is not in any of my field guides so the best i had as a guess was Brassica rapa, field mustard. :)

for giving a guess, 1/2 the prize for you! :hyper: that would be a copy of the photo; as soon as i affirm your entry, you can start bragging.:D

a word on my photos: :photos: i have neither the time nor inclination to watermark them or put a copyright notice on them as so many of the other wildflower photographers do. please feel free to use any of them, dear readers & lookers, for educational or personal use. if i discover any commercial use of them however, i will hunt down the perp like a noxious class A weed & take the appropriate action. :( :lol:

got some chores to do but will be back with new mystery plant & flower pics later this afternoon. i've got another 4 or 5 that i can't pin down. :kick: :D :bouquet:

alrighty thens; i'm 95% certain of the genus of this one & 50% sure of the species. highlighting the "blank" space under "white flower" in the caption will reveal my best guess. these widespread inflorescences give my camera some problems with depth of field this close in & i wouldn't ordinarily post this fuzzy an image but it's as good as i'm gonna get. :photos: might be best viewed a little liquored up. :hyper: say whiskey! :( :) :bouquet:

white flower

Lomatium macrocarpum

may 02, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

clark county washington - ?

blooms:

whole-plant view:

okaly dokaly. this is definitely a buttercup, and while i have labled it "western buttercup", i'm open to challenges.

western buttercup - Ranunculus occidentalis

may 2, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

clark county washington - native

bloom:

on further reflection & inspection, i challenge! :confused: :evil: i now think this is no buttercup :phones:, rather that it is largeleaf avens - Geum macrophyllum. Geum macrophyllum - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

:cheer: what say yee?

a word on my photos: :phones: i have neither the time nor inclination to watermark them or put a copyright notice on them as so many of the other wildflower photographers do. please feel free to use any of them, dear readers & lookers, for educational or personal use. if i discover any commercial use of them however, i will hunt down the perp like a noxious class A weed & take the appropriate action. :confused: :cheer:

There are multiple softwares available that can do bulk watermarking. Copyrighting can be handled by CC licensing remarks, besides the standard DoJ applied copyrighting.

Anywho...For any folks following along, feel free to use my pics submitted to this thread in any kind of way you want. I really don't care. My only hope is that they are educational. But, if you want to make company logos and monetize, go for it! My *only* request is that you respect copyright to the point that I'm always able to use my own images however I see fit. You can never sue me for rights to my own photos, duh. Other than that, please use them! :evil:

What's wrong with that Turtle? Chances are, nobody gives a suksdorfii *** anyway. ;)

There are multiple softwares available that can do bulk watermarking. Copyrighting can be handled by CC licensing remarks, besides the standard DoJ applied copyrighting.

Anywho...For any folks following along, feel free to use my pics submitted to this thread in any kind of way you want. I really don't care. My only hope is that they are educational. But, if you want to make company logos and monetize, go for it! My *only* request is that you respect copyright to the point that I'm always able to use my own images however I see fit. You can never sue me for rights to my own photos, duh. Other than that, please use them! :)

What's wrong with that Turtle? Chances are, nobody gives a suksdorfii *** anyway. ;)

yeah; my roomy has photoshop & it has watermarking. it's more bother than it's worth to me as i am familiar with other photo software that i use. really, i was taking a poke, :jab:, at the folk who get all anal about their photos. :hihi: all that protecting of rights is only as good as one's ability to enforce it. :P like it or not, if you put something on the web it's out of your control. :eek:

so, nothing wrong with what you propose. i was just puttin' on some show to keep things interesting. mind you that when i croak :wilted: :rip:, my heirs may not see it that way. :shrug: :rotfl:

:turtle: more to come at a turtle's pace. :bouquet:

Lomatium utriculatum - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

common lomatium - Lomatium utriculatum (aka spring gold)

I know I sound like a broken record, but did you get a good shot of the leaves? :bouquet:

Skimming through that Burke link, the species name you posted seems to be the only one that makes sense geographically. :shrug:

I'll dig a little deeper later, when I have some more time.

i'm still waiting for my book, but i think i got this one wrong. i now think it is nineleaf biscuitroot - Lomatium triternatum. >> Lomatium triternatum - WTU Herbarium Image Collection i collected one from the ditch & will make a scan of a leaf. i am on it like stink on a flower. :P

Yeah, that Lomatium is a tough one. Perhaps it is that species as var. anomalum? :turtle:

I think this one would have to be keyed out to be sure. Soon enough you will have the key, my friend. :idea:

it could take me years to get comfortable with these. i'm a turtle remember. :confused: i see burke doesn't show it in clark county, but i have id'd a number of plants not listed. i have a county list that i printed out with over 400 vascular plants recorded here, so i won't be running out of bloomage any time soonage. :shrug: what do you think of my recent corrections & the white Lomatium id i gave? over.... :shrug:

anyway, here's another Lomatium i photographed that same day & am unsure of the species. :hal_skeleton:

biscuitroot - Lomatium sp.

may 02, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

blooms:

whole-plant view:

it could take me years to get comfortable with these. i'm a turtle remember. :hal_skeleton:

If we had years, Mr. Turtle, I'd be wasting them on some remote solar system island. Make it so! :idea:

i see burke doesn't show it in clark county, but i have id'd a number of plants not listed.

Burke uses the key you are about to get. :)

Take note that this is an old guide. These poor guys did this for their doctoral thesis.

Nomenclature has changed a bunch and you will have to keep that in mind. Scientiic names are still *way* better, but when you get into a mess with species, you may find that things have changed. :(

Fortunately, this should be easy to resolve with today's awesome internet resources. :idea:

i have a county list that i printed out with over 400 vascular plants recorded here, so i won't be running out of bloomage any time soonage. :shrug:

I'm assuming you've also got a invasive list in hand. That is almost always the best list to check first. ;)

what do you think of my recent corrections & the white Lomatium id i gave? over.... :shrug:

White lomatium? Did I miss one that you posted? I've just seen yellow.

anyway, here's another Lomatium i photographed that same day & am unsure of the species. :turtle:

biscuitroot - Lomatium sp.

may 02, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

blooms:

whole-plant view:

I love your new-ish posting style. :confused:

I'll have a better look at it in a bit. It's hard to keep up with the Turtle-pace lately. ;)

i have a county list that i printed out with over 400 vascular plants recorded here, so i won't be running out of bloomage any time soonage. :shrug:

I'm assuming you've also got a invasive list in hand. That is almost always the best list to check first. ;)

yes sir.;) i think most are included on the list i mentioned. i also have some brochures on invasives that folks have distributed. the first link is the one i mentioned & the second a newer list i found of rare plants here. :confused:

Native Plant List of Clark County Washington

Selected Rare Vascular Plants of Washington

here's a state list of over 3,500 species from burke @ wsu. ;) >> Washington Flora Checklist

White lomatium? Did I miss one that you posted? I've just seen yellow.

i called it "white flower" & hid my guess earlier. post #175 :)

I love your new-ish posting style. :hal_skeleton:

I'll have a better look at it in a bit. It's hard to keep up with the Turtle-pace lately. ;)

feast or famine. :idea: :turtle: i got the new style idea from a web wildflower poster that hill directed me to a month or so ago. thanks for the nod & the notice. :( . . . :shrug: :idea:

i collected this little bugger along the road by heritage trail & brought it home for scrutiny. :clue: i have scrutinized the snot out of it & have no doubt that this one really is a western buttercup. :doh: detail photos attached show the sepals which quickly fall off, the basal leaves, a cauline leaf, and a detail of the pointy-hooked fruit. ;) if that's snot enough, then there aint enough. :D :eek2:

Ranunculus occidentalis - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

western buttercup - Ranunculus occidentalis

april 6, 2010

bloom:

whole-plant view:

i received my copy of Flora of the Pacific Northwest today. :doh: over 700 pages of terse jargon, abbreviations, & 1/2 scale technical drawings. :read: the glossary alone runs 9 pages & the list of abbreviations runs 2 pgs.. :eek: :hyper: i like that they put them in the very front of the tome. :D quick! what does scarious mean? ;) this will take me a year or two just to learn the terminology. :hihi: off to try & key out a couple more mysteries from the last outing. :clue: :eek2:

it's just a flower...it's just a flower...it's just a flower.... ••-• •-•• ----- • •-:clue:____ :rose:

alrighty thens. while i learn the new lingo i'm going into my new key bass ackwards. :hyper: so i find a plant i already know, and then work back, & forth, & back, & forth ,:eek2:, to get the hang of it. seems there are 4 varieties of that western buttercup & the final key likely will fall to the ultimate size & shape of the achenes. will have to wait then for them to fully develop. :D

so on to another hunt that has paid off. :doh:;) now the new key says there are 2 varieties of black hawthorn, Crataegus douglasii douglasii & Crataegus douglasii suksdorfii. burke simply gives them as 2 species, Crataegus douglasii & Crataegus suksdorfii. in any case, the id is pinned on the number of stamens and if they number 20 then suksdorfii it is. so it is. the leaf of suksdorfii also differs from douglasii & attached is a back-of-leaf detail. . . . . :clue:

Crataegus suksdorfii - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

suksdorf's hawthorn - Crataegus suksdorfii

april 2, 2010

lacamas heritage trail

blooms:

whole-plant view:

i collected one of these & i expect to go for more before they mow. :eek2: seems there are a few sub-species of L. bicolor, but will track that down later as there is no mistaking this little thing for any other species. :) i had seen the name before in my guides but never paid attention to the size, and unless you're moving slow, :smart:, and looking for little flowers, :hyper:, this is easy to miss.

Lupinus bicolor - WTU Herbarium Image Collection

two-color lupine - Lupinus bicolor (aka miniature lupine)

may 9, 2010

se clark county washington - native

blooms:

whole-plant view: