Science Forums

Wildflowers

Turtle

I wonder if it's just my computer but the link does not work for me? :(

It works for me. Do you see the link when you do the reply? Try the link below.

http://www.jacquiela...36&source=jl999

If you go "skip to the end" it gives you a list of all states that you can select to see the flower for each state.

Edited by arKane

I'm not sure how many state flowers are considered wild but I do know the link below is very interesting.

my first thought was that all would certainly be native, but reflecting on politics and its disjoints from nature, i'm now quite unsure as well. will have to check everyone and get back. :sherlock: thnx for the cool bump. :bouquet:

It works for me. Do you see the link when you do the reply? Try the link below.

http://www.jacquiela...36&source=jl999

If you go "skip to the end" it gives you a list of all states that you can select to see the flower for each state.

I have found the home page of the artist but none of the cards will load and my computer is current on updates etc. No security notices either.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/cards_floral.asp

Perhaps one has to be logged in to view? I'm not interested in creating an account at the moment. These are not free e-cards. Do you, by chance, have that card saved on your computer? It would then play for you even if you were not logged in, I'm thinking.

No worries. :)

I have found the home page of the artist but none of the cards will load and my computer is current on updates etc. No security notices either.

http://www.jacquiela...ards_floral.asp

Perhaps one has to be logged in to view? I'm not interested in creating an account at the moment. These are not free e-cards. Do you, by chance, have that card saved on your computer? It would then play for you even if you were not logged in, I'm thinking.

No worries. :)

I got that link in an email. It does not require a logon, but you may need to install the latest free version of Adobe - Flash Player http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

My version is 11,3,300,262 , hope this helps.

I got that link in an email. It does not require a logon, but you may need to install the latest free version of Adobe - Flash Player http://www.adobe.com...re/flash/about/

My version is 11,3,300,262 , hope this helps.

You got the link in an email.

That sounds like someone purchased and sent you an ecard, I'm thinking......

I've only worked with free ecards and not for several years now.

I did download the latest version of Adobe as we had been away for a while and the computer shut down. My computer is configured to do most things automatically for dummies like me, lol.... :)

I'm sure it's a lovely link and I greatly appreciate your efforts to help.

You got the link in an email.

That sounds like someone purchased and sent you an ecard, I'm thinking......

I've only worked with free ecards and not for several years now.

I did download the latest version of Adobe as we had been away for a while and the computer shut down. My computer is configured to do most things automatically for dummies like me, lol.... :)

I'm sure it's a lovely link and I greatly appreciate your efforts to help.

I went to the site you provided and found the card and clicked on the preview this card and it worked just like the original link I posted. I don't have a clue except I'm using the Firefox browser.

I use Firefox also but you made me think to try an alternate browser and Internet Explorer opened it immediately. My apologies to Turtle for all this chatter on your wildflower thread. I shall endeavor to photograph something blooming in the Yukon to make amends.

Using FF too, and the link wors for me.

Little off topic. I'm not a great fan of roses, but find the "old", "native" rose species, which has a more simple flower structure than garden roses, quite attractive. I notice a few states have a Rosa as State flower, and all of a rather simple structure. Wonder if one can obtain them in the trade.

That said, only flowers with mega potential are carried by the trade here, and it is rather impossible for an individual to import plant material to South Africa.

Looking at the drawing of the Indian Paintbrush (Castilleja Linariaefolia) of Wyoming, it reminded me of our Mimites Cucullatus, a totally unrelated plant. Looking at the pictures on the Castilleja page on Wikipedia there is however no resemblance between the two. The photo of C. Lanata however bare some resemblance until one look closely.

I use Firefox also but you made me think to try an alternate browser and Internet Explorer opened it immediately. My apologies to Turtle for all this chatter on your wildflower thread. I shall endeavor to photograph something blooming in the Yukon to make amends.

no worries. it's all in the pursuit of wildflowers. :bouquet:

Using FF too, and the link wors for me.

Little off topic. I'm not a great fan of roses, but find the "old", "native" rose species, which has a more simple flower structure than garden roses, quite attractive. I notice a few states have a Rosa as State flower, and all of a rather simple structure. Wonder if one can obtain them in the trade. ...

again no worries. :) do you mean US states here? if you have some specific states/roses i'll have a look around. :sherlock:

I found this single flower growing in my yard in Sequim Wa. Don't know what it is, but worth posting anyway.

that is an opium poppy my friend.

I'm not sure how many state flowers are considered wild but I do know the link below is very interesting.

my first thought was that all would certainly be native, but reflecting on politics and its disjoints from nature, i'm now quite unsure as well. will have to check everyone and get back. :sherlock: thnx for the cool bump. :bouquet:

so following up, no; not all state flowers are native. for example the state flower of Delaware is the peach and they are from china. arkansas and michigan have the apple blossom as the state flower and only crab aples are native to the US.

Official state Flowers

Official State Flowers

There is variation among the states in the way they have officially designated flowers to represent them. Some states designate an official state flower. Some states designate an official state floral emblem. Some states designate both an official flower and floral emblem. States have also designated wildflowers and one state has designated an official cultivated flower.

Oops!!!:rolleyes: No wonder I didn't see any other examples of this flower in this topic. It was such a beautiful flower I had to take a picture of it and post it. I'll have to ask the owner if she knows what it is. Again thanks for the info.

i bet she knows. i had an older neighbor gardening lady give me some seeds to grow once. :shy: in days gone by, many folks grew them just as ornamentals.

Edited by Turtle

went out to my wildflower bed to gather buttercup seed to photograph today and on uploading the shots i found a set of blooms & leaves that i completely misremembered. here them all be thens. :photos:

western buttercup @ burke herbarium

western buttercup - Ranunculus occidentalis

may 15, 2012

urban wildflower garden

clark county washington - native

mature seeds

seed01b

cauline leaf

leaf02a

basal leaf

leaf01a

underside of bloom

buttercup02a

bloom

buttercup01a

speaking of poppies, i have a number of california poppies in my garden beds. i collected the seeds from a patch i found growing in a vacant lot. while burke herbarium lists them as introduced here in washington, i am nonetheless happy to make their acquaintance. :)

here's a short student article on them. >> The Biogeography of California Poppy

california poppy

june 30, 2012

urban garden

clark county washington - introduced?