Science Forums

Making sense of the Universe

Solve

Once upon a time.......

In the beginning there was nothing,

and out of the nothing there was positive and negative energy created,

(because in maths 0 = +1 -1),

But at this time it was a chaos of +ve and -ve energy.

But 23 Billion years later a machine was developed that harnessed this chaotic energy and was sent back to t = 0.0000000000001 Billion years and activated.

The machine was similar to a computer allowing a universe simulation to be run,

Making order out of the chaotic energy potential of nothing (which was used to power the machine).

The machine was unlike a computer in the sense that the simulation was made of the same stuff as the machine (just a transformation of energy).

And so the universe was born.

So if it wasn't for a machine being developed in the future and sent back in time,

the universe would just be a chaotic sea of energy.

The machine gives order to the 'universe'....gives the universe all it's laws and ordered energy.

End of Tale.

****** So do you think the above story is plausible?

Solve :hyper:

Ok, first I would like to say it sounds like it could be the basis of a good scifi story but reality dictates these huge ifs.

If time travel is possible

If a machine could be built that could operate inside the parameters that existed in the first few years of the universe. Remember there is nothing or anywhere outside the universe for the machine to exist in.

If the big bang theory is a reasonable description of reality

If the parameters of the universe could be changed or even need to be changed

Then there is the problem of the future changing the past to create the future.

Ok, first I would like to say it sounds like it could be the basis of a good scifi story but reality dictates these huge ifs.

If time travel is possible

Time travel could be designed into the simulation of the universe enabling the machine to be sent back through (or around) time.

If a machine could be built that could operate inside the parameters that existed in the first few years of the universe. Remember there is nothing or anywhere outside the universe for the machine to exist in.

The OP idea is a different model of the universe. The 'Big Bang' would happen inside the machine like a simulation run on a computer. Imagine if a computer was sent back to tap into the energy potential of the universe, and once powered the 'simulator' is run. Therefore the Big Bang happens inside the computer.

I'm not saying it is a computer, but maybe the machine is like a computer.

If the big bang theory is a reasonable description of reality

The problem with the Big Bang is that:-

1. can a 'Big Bang' come from nothing

2. how comes it's so ordered

If the parameters of the universe could be changed or even need to be changed

I'm suggesting a different model. In the beginning chaotic energy coming into existence because it can spontaneously. Then creating a Universe simulator to tap into that energy from which those parameters are designed. The only problem is getting the machine back to the year dot.......

Then there is the problem of the future changing the past to create the future.

'The beginning' (cause of everything) was the potential of the universe to create energy. Once there's that potential, and a way for the future to interact with the past, it becomes like a feedback loop causing resonance, ie. altering the chaos to produce an 'ordered' universe. All that's needed is something to do the altering (Universe simulator machine), and a way of manipulating time which may be a function of the simulator anyway and so easily manipulable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR am I totally off my rocker.......

Solve :shrug:

I'm suggesting a different model. In the beginning chaotic energy coming into existence because it can spontaneously. Then creating a Universe simulator to tap into that energy from which those parameters are designed. The only problem is getting the machine back to the year dot.......

Solve :shrug:

Getting the machine back to the year dot.........considering we are in the simulation, and the machine is made out of the simulation material.

This is quite a complex idea....I hope I'm making sense.

Or do you think I should completely forget about the idea?

Solve :lol:

This is a completely different discussion though, and it's been discussed many times already here at Hypography.

Why should the Big Bang be a natural phenomena?

Why can't it be the result of some kind of engineering (by future scientists)?

I think the main problem is the Time Travel element.

Solve :)

Why should the Big Bang be a natural phenomena?

Why can't it be the result of some kind of engineering (by future scientists)?

I think the main problem is the Time Travel element.

Yes time travel is a problem but by definition your machine has to contain the universe and in so doing is at least partially out side the universe, outside the universe is a big problem as well.....

Yes time travel is a problem but by definition your machine has to contain the universe and in so doing is at least partially out side the universe, outside the universe is a big problem as well.....

The Second Life Universe is quite Big, yet it fits inside a computer! The Universe may only seem large, yet maybe it fits inside a USM (Universe Simulator Machine).

The USM sits in the chaotic energy environment of the Natural Universe, producing an unnatural ordered Simulation in which we all exist!

Crazy, heh.

• 3 weeks later...
The Second Life Universe is quite Big, yet it fits inside a computer! The Universe may only seem large, yet maybe it fits inside a USM (Universe Simulator Machine). The USM sits in the chaotic energy environment of the Natural Universe, producing an unnatural ordered Simulation in which we all exist! ;)

None of these simulations are done down to the resolution to "cover" the whole universe.

A BB simulation is on the scale of galaxies not people and their lives.... :scratchchin: :hyper: :eek_big:

maddog

As a science fiction story, it has a lot of potential.

As a scientific argument it is very incomplete.

To make this a scientific theory you need to first make a hypothesis.

The hypothesis should:

A) explain some aspect of visible phenomenon.

:scratchchin: make a prediction about future happenings

C) Suggest tests that can be made that will disprove the hypothesis.

With your proposal, is there anyway to test for the presence of this machine/computer?

Why would anybody want to go back in time to do this?

Why not change the narrative so that the Big Bang is actually very small, and the entire universe exist only for a smatter of a second in a collision chamber in some advanced alien society's version of the LHC? They (the aliens) collide a few particles at close to the speed of light (c at their scale), and are awe-struck at the few nanoseconds the debris fly away from the collision, not realising that in that debris field, consciousness arose in the form of humans on a much, much smaller scale - tiny sub-atomic particles on the alien scale being entire galaxies on the human scale?

The fiery plasma from the collision contains billions of year's evolution, it contains the rise and fall of the Roman empire, the first and second World Wars, everything from the Big Bang to the final icy death of the universe. And black holes are the particles that formed from sub-atomic particles, and at the end of the experiment, there are only particles left, as expected.

Somehow, the alien scientists detect the presence of intelligence in this collision debris, where (at our scale) it will be millions, if not billions of years in the future where we get to harnass the energy of entire galaxies and are able to let our presence be known to the alien's scale.

And then, at the end, the scientist aliens who conduct the experiment look up to the stars in their sky, and realise that they, too, are merely the result of some particle-collider existing at an even bigger scale...:yeahthat:

The concept of the Universe as a "Super computing system" became to make sense to me since some time ago and I want to post here the comment I made in the "What if the planets and stars are natural supercomputing systems?" thread (http://hypography.com/forums/alternative-theories/20339-what-if-planets-stars-natural-supercomputing.html) in the "Alternative Theories" forum:

Forgive me If I distract your (all in this thread) attention for a little but I would like you to consider (just for a little) some very unexpected possibility for Earth's core.

Some times we don't find just what we are not looking for.

I know it would be hard to accept mainly at a first view but became to make sense someway to me since some time ago.

Here it goes:

What if the Universe is much more alive than we curently believe and stars are not just a "ball of fire" and planets and moons are not just "balls of some earth".

What if some kind of what we could call "natural supercomputing system" (I mean some kind of "harware/software" system) could exist inside some "superprotective sphere" inside stars, planets, moons and some kind of "software entities" could actually exist being what we could call their "Gods" or something like that.

What if a sophysticated "super system" exist in the Universe in which those "software entities" communicate (through some totally unknown communication mechanism) in some sort of "Universal network".

What if what we, humans, are doing here at Earth with computers and the internet is the same that those "intelligences" do naturally.

I apologize if this would be a too "fantastic" possibility.