Science Forums

Bible Code Software

Dinnertable conversation this evening...

Does anyone know of any PD or Open Source "Bible Code" software that's out there? We were talking this evening about how fun it would be--and how much debunking you could do...or geez new Messiahs you could find!--to throw say Danielle Steele or Michael Chabon at the "code" and see what hidden messages there were...with the stuff that Amazon is doing to get all these texts in parsable formats, hey, we should be looking everywhere eh?

How about Paul Harvey transcripts? Will we get the *real* "rest of the story?" :sherlock:

When a thing is funny, search it for a hidden truth, :lightning

Buffy

hmmm, open source bible code software, now that sounds like an idea. i'll talk to my father and see what i can come up with. he's pretty good with databases, and i'm a half decent standard programmer. my primary difficulty would be translation of hebrew to english. if this is going to be a serious project, we should use the original hebrew text.

Does anyone know of any PD or Open Source "Bible Code" software that's out there?
Like most folk I know, all of the skip code searching I’ve done, I did with simple programs of my own, so never bother to look for any free code. However, well-known Bible code debunker Brendan McKay offers links to some ready-to-run programs, and compilable code for his own, here. Most of the links to ready-to-run stuff appear broken, and at least one of them, CodeFinder, appears to now be a rather pricey ($60+) commercial program pitched toward a credulous audience.
if this is going to be a serious project, we should use the original hebrew text.
I believe what Buffy looking for are programs that can be used on any long document to find the names of famous and infamous people and events. A famous example is the Moby code, which arose from McKay’s answer to a challenge from “The Bible code” author Michael Drosnin to critics of his book to “find a message about the assassination of a prime minister encrypted in Moby Dick”.

The point is, although it’s harder to find skip code words in documents using modern characters (ie: English vs. ancient Hebrew), because the letters can’t be interpreted as loosely, or have vowels inserted as needed, any large document – even one composed or random letters – can be searched using skip codes to find startling hidden “messages”.

I dunno, freezy, last dinner party we had here, i ended up drawing 2 particle physicists into a discussion of how one would go about finding higgs boson, what the most likely method used at in the LHC experiment was, how cool it would be to work there, and how that would impact the current world of physics... now that was a fun discussion :doh:

if this is going to be a serious project, we should use the original hebrew text.
I don't know about Danielle Steele, but I'm pretty sure Michael Chabon is Jewish (my daughter used to go to school with his), but nonetheless I can assure you none of his works was written originally in Hebrew. Although both authors are probably translated into Hebrew, that's not "original" and cannot be considered the "word of God" which is the only way it would be relevant, no?

...Brendan McKay offers links to some ready-to-run programs, and compilable code for his own, here...

Thanks Craig! I knew you'd come through! I'd want code to fiddle with anyway....

The point is, although it’s harder to find skip code words in documents using modern characters (ie: English vs. ancient Hebrew), because the letters can’t be interpreted as loosely, or have vowels inserted as needed...

Ain't that the truth! When my daughter was working on learning to read the Torah for her Bat Mitzvah she complained, "[modern] Hebrew is hard enough, but with all the vowels dropped out, how can anyone tell what they were trying to say?"

I dunno, freezy, last dinner party we had here, i ended up drawing 2 particle physicists into a discussion of how one would go about finding higgs boson, what the most likely method used at in the LHC experiment was, how cool it would be to work there, and how that would impact the current world of physics... now that was a fun discussion :hihi:

Boy Alex has me beat hands down on that, although my mom is hooked into the Cal Tech crowd and her Xmas parties can be pretty amazing....

I might repeat to myself slowly and soothingly, a list of quotations beautiful from minds profound - if I can remember any of the damn things, :doh:

Buffy