Science Forums

Its A wonder Microsoft can stay in business at all (funny MS Access 2007 pic)

I just took this screen shot a few minutes ago when I was trying to make a database for an assignment in school. I followed everything the book said then when I entered the value "8" in a box it said I must keep the number between 0 and 75 (which is what I told it to do in design view). Any other number worked except for 8 and 9. Even my teacher couldnt figure it out and had me save the file on her flash drive so she could study it after class. With errors like these I am suprised Microsoft can stay in business at all.

post-6189-128210105829_thumb.jpg

Things to ask before installing and using access and things specific to this error are:

Are you fully up to date with access patches?

Are you fully up to date with windows?

.net framework?

Is your antivirus running, is it fully up to date and when was the last full scan performed?

Is it approved by microsoft?

Is your firewall blocking all the events windows developers figured most firewalls would block and did not protect from?

Are your socks clean?

Did you bring a virgin sacrifice to the computer gods, and when, was it a full moon?

Have you ever been in a sect, was it a microsoft approved sect?

Did your grandparents ever meet a gypsy and did she tell them that their bad numbers are 8 and 9? (very important)

Did you read the newspaper last weekend before it was supposed to be published (that screws everything up)??

You have to make sure all that complies with microsoft minimum requirements before running access, otherwise, well, you get what you got... Clearly one of these you didnt comply with...

Things to ask before installing and using access and things specific to this error are:

Are you fully up to date with access patches?

Are you fully up to date with windows?

.net framework?

Is your antivirus running, is it fully up to date and when was the last full scan performed?

Is it approved by microsoft?

Is your firewall blocking all the events windows developers figured most firewalls would block and did not protect from?

Are your socks clean?

Did you bring a virgin sacrifice to the computer gods, and when, was it a full moon?

Have you ever been in a sect, was it a microsoft approved sect?

Did your grandparents ever meet a gypsy and did she tell them that their bad numbers are 8 and 9? (very important)

Did you read the newspaper last weekend before it was supposed to be published (that screws everything up)??

:doh:

yes.

yes.

yes.

yes.

yes.

yes.

no.

yes.

no.

no.

no.

And what now? :evil:

Maybe the computer gods will favor me if I sacrifice a mac.........

computer gods will not favor you if you sacrifice a MAC, its a pretty child of unix and a BeOS-like kernel, that is doomed to clean up after it's step sisters, XP and Vista, one of which is fat and ugly, tho she think she's beautiful, and the other one is thin, but all made of pieces that didnt fit right.... Mac is a Cinderella of OS-sorts, you will anger the computer gods with a mac sacrifice....

It looks to me as if it's reading the data as a text string, not a numeric - 8 and 9 sort higher than 75 if you read them as text.

I have to keep Microsoft to stay compatible with the customers, but I've lost count of the number of times I've retired hurt after wrestling with Access :)

It looks to me as if it's reading the data as a text string, not a numeric - 8 and 9 sort higher than 75 if you read them as text.

I have to keep Microsoft to stay compatible with the customers, but I've lost count of the number of times I've retired hurt after wrestling with Access :)

I belive it is set as a number string.

Hi there,

Dunno if you got this solved, but i had a go myself and found this...

If your validation rule for the 'On Hand' field is as follows...

Between "0" And "75"

You get the behaviour you are experiencing.

If it is...

Between 0 And 75

It should work properly.

Someone mentioned that the field maybe a string type. But apparently it can be a number type while still having the input validated as a string, which seems a bit of an oversight.

rgds

David

Hi there,

Dunno if you got this solved, but i had a go myself and found this...

If your validation rule for the 'On Hand' field is as follows...

Between "0" And "75"

You get the behaviour you are experiencing.

If it is...

Between 0 And 75

It should work properly.

Someone mentioned that the field maybe a string type. But apparently it can be a number type while still having the input validated as a string, which seems a bit of an oversight.

rgds

David

I thought it put stuff in "" automatically?