Science Forums

Finally switched to linux... what now?

Hey Southtown

In this post I'll layout the rather long list on my main Slackware box that has been upgraded from it's original v9 through each step to v12.1. Then I'll reboot to load the fresh install of 12.2 which has only so far been altered from default by adduser and the installation of GuardDog. I suspect the newer one may be more instructive because this main install gets *USED* and has boatloads of apps and libraries installed mostly from source. Anyway, first installment

root:!:0:root,enorbet

bin:!:1:root,bin,daemon,enorbet

tty::5:enorbet

disk:!:6:root,adm,enorbet

lp::7:lp,enorbet

wheel:!:10:root,enorbet

floppy:!:11:root,enorbet

mail::12:mail,enorbet

news::13:news,enorbet

man::15:enorbet

audio::17:enorbet,games,root

video::18:enorbet

cdrom::19:enorbet

games::20:enorbet

slocate::21:enorbet

mysql::27:enorbet

sshd::33:sshd,enorbet

gdm::42:enorbet

ftp:!:50:nobody,enorbet

pop::90:pop,enorbet

nobody::98:nobody,enorbet

nogroup::99:enorbet

users::100:enorbet

console::101:enorbet

burning:x:102:enorbet,root

src:*:1001:root,enorbet

be back in a flash w/ the new one

OK SouthTown

Here's 12.2 Fresh

floppy:x:11:root,enorbet

audio:x:17:root,enorbet

video:x:18:root,enorbet

cdrom:x:19:root,enorbet

plugdev:x:83:root,enorbet

I'm sure you know but others here may not that some things work in tandem and others in parallel. For example the "/etc/fstab" file which controls mount access to drives including how and where they are mounted (as what filesystem) and what users have what kind of access. This may override some groups. Choosing your setup just depends on what you like to do and how secure you need to be.

Hope these lists help some SouthTown

OK Freeze let;s get rollin'

UBUNTU - I would be shocked if you couldn't get your mouse working correctly since as I understand it, it worked before right? Same distro version? Ideally tell me where you arrive and what if anything works when you boot Ubuntu.

Both my mouse and touchpad worked flawlessly the first time I installed Ubu.

Here's the weird thing. I first tried my latest kernel from grub (2.7.26.14). It boots into gnome desktop. The mouse cursor is stuck in the center and will not move. Same thing happens when I try my first kernel from grub (2.7.26.4). However, when I try the middle kernel (2.7.26.11,iirc) it boots to a blank peach-colored screen where the touchpad works but the mouse does not. It doesn't load any further past this so no go there.

If you have a terminal and keyboard works we're immediately in business.

Iirc, I was able to get to terminal with the keyboard.

It would be a good idea to Google for your specific mouse and setup in Ubuntu eg : search "Logitech Foo-720 Ubuntu" and write down the xorg.conf parameters/commands if only for reference but likely for peak performance and fast fix.

Ok, it's a Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse for Notebooks. I'll try to find the xorg.conf for it in a minute.

I still haven't heard from you as to results from "dmesg |more" or "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"to see if USB is loading OK and what if anything is in there about the mouse. If the mouse is mentioned USB is working.

Ok, I'll run dmesg.

-workaround- substitute wired mouse and rerun the xorg reconfigure so you can get to desjtop where you're more comfortable and have more resources at your command.

Well, all I have is cordless mice right now. ;)

SLACKWARE - Although it's worth a try since it can't hurt anything to type "kdm" it may be possible that Slackware may glitch on the wireless mouse. Wouldn't hurt to google that too. If you substitute any wired mouse Slackware should be fine too

PROVIDED you are typing "kdm" from the right place!

The proper sequence for Slackware is:

Boot to CLI login and login as "root"

type "kdm"

once at X Graphical Login screen

login as user and follow the desktop menu to set style (like 4 checkboxes in steps)

Ok, I'll try this again. Perhaps booting to $user$ and then switching to root threw it off?

I'm sure you know but others here may not that some things work in tandem and others in parallel. For example the "/etc/fstab" file which controls mount access to drives including how and where they are mounted (as what filesystem) and what users have what kind of access. This may override some groups.

It looks like I was on the wrong track with the groups. Maybe it was fstab like you said. If so, then I had no write permissions at all because I put everything on one partition. Thanks for the help.

Ok, Slackware: Logged in as root, typed kdm, and got the same error message. For the heck of it, I ran dmesg and it showed no major errors afaict. It lists the Logitech receiver with ID number. So, if I can just get into kdm, I should be able to work on the xorg.conf from there as described.

Ubuntu: I was able to get console using ctl-alt-f1. So, the keyboard works! ;)

Ran dmesg and it came up with several usb errors. I also ran lsusb which showed the Logitech mouse (same ID numbers as I saw in slackware).

Actually, it's looking like it might be best to reinstall Ubu. It was showing several errors on boot (ext2 not supported? ;) ). It also took about 3-4 times as long to get to the desktop compared to when I had it working originally (because of error messages).

I wish I could post dmesg results, but I have no way of doing that until I get one of the Linux's working. Although, if I can start firefox with keyboard commands then I should be able to as long as I can also access the fielsystem and figure out how to save dmesg log etc.

K I'm gonna give Slackware another go.

I wish I could post dmesg results, but I have no way of doing that until I get one of the Linux's working. Although, if I can start firefox with keyboard commands then I should be able to as long as I can also access the fielsystem and figure out how to save dmesg log etc.

If you can get console, then you can run 'links' (might have to 'apt-get install links' if it isn't already.) Then you hit ESC for menu or 'g' for address box and attach it here as a file.

Gkrellm rules!

Understand ones system enough to kill un-necessary hidden ware rule too.

Things are lookin rosier already....still can't get updates though (finds em won't install em....Wish I could copy/paste the friggin terminal so's I could show you accurately what the errors are:( ) But at least resource consumption is back to realistic for activity levels and some speed recovered...I'm back to an average 5 sec. page jump (Hypo. to Youtube for instance) instead of closer to 20...7 sec. to open Rythmbox from click to ready to play instead of nearly a full minute....and the grey screen seems to be a memory a few more surgical strikes and the patient should be race ready again;)....thanx

So which version should I download?

And should I pick Ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, lightbuntu, or are they all the same kernel that just has different overlay?

They make it impossible on their sites to figure out which version to download... Is'nt there one central location I can go to find what I need?

Ubuntu site didnt warn me (Oh btw dialup is not supported)... I could of uninstalled windows, for absolutely no reason.

Arkain

AFAIK the differences are primarily which desktop you get ie ubuntu = gnome, kubuntu = kde, xubuntu = xfce, etc. Is it possible that you have a friend or a library service that would allow you to use broadband to get the iso? Even if you miraculously manage to average 10 mb/sec w/ dialup where half that is more common that is not only a very long time but also invites CRC errors. If you can't borrow broadband, I'd have a disk mailed to me.

I mean, there is a thing you can select that says "check for errors" or somthing ...will that tell me?

Yeah, "Check disk for errors" at the splash menu. I use it before every install, and it did catch a bad one once so it works, at least for that release. Except if it rejects the disk, you don't know if it was the iso or the burn job. So you should still md5 the iso before hand (if you can boot linux some-other-how) so you don't end up burning a bad iso to a whole stack of blank disks.

My problems have been traced back to a faulty DVD cable.

When I burned the new DVD (with a MD5 check), I was able to install slackware no problem. KDE works now!

Of course, I have several other problems now...

When I was trying to set up my wireless card, it disabled my external mouse (touchpad still works). Eth0 shows me as connected but I'm unable to get anything from Konquerer.

Also, I get an error message on boot that says it can not detect sound.

Fun stuff ahead, but at least it's working. Woohoo!

My problems have been traced back to a faulty DVD cable.

When I burned the new DVD (with a MD5 check), I was able to install slackware no problem. KDE works now!

Congratulations Freeze! It's tough to build something precise with coarse tools, especially the first go around. I'm glad you sharpened that scalpel and made your job possible and easy, at the very least by comparison.

Of course, I have several other problems now...

True. As I mentioned the great thing about Slackware is that it snowballs. It takes a little work to reach critical mass where the snowball starts gathering mass creating a solid core you will never lose but that means all the work you put in will continue to reward you as long as you continue to use it and grow.

When I was trying to set up my wireless card, it disabled my external mouse (touchpad still works). Eth0 shows me as connected but I'm unable to get anything from Konquerer.

OK Some of the hardcore CLI guys may give me grief but I am a firm believer in using the skills someone already has to good effect and blending pointy-clicky with sound cli work. So first of all it is a bit unlikely that your usable interface is eth0 since you're trying to configure "The name is the device name that your driver has loaded for the device." often wifi0, wlan0, ath0, etc depending on the card's appropriate driver. Look here

What's difference between eth0, wlan0, wifi0 ath0 etc. - NetStumbler.org Forums

You can look through dmesg for other drivers loading to determine what your wifi nic is called and if seen, google for the info, or look in KInfoCenter menuitem under the System section of the main "K" menu, lower lefthand corner by default.

Also you can try the KWifiManager in your main menu or, at first, open ControlCenter and seek the plus sign for the Internet & Network menuitem and there you will find a great deal of information and setup scripts in menu form (radio buttons and checkboxes). This is falling off a log.

I highly recommend you look in the /etc/rc.d/ directory because this is the repository of most of your important configs for hardware. This is specific to Slackware in it's completeness as some distros have kept it but considerably reduced (or even eliminated) it's role because these are manually edited scripts where the user (as root) can do damn near anything. Very powerful and auto backed up because so. The scripts are well documented with notes in the scripts themselves as well as manpages and help files so don't be afraid to browse - just don;t change anything you aren;t sure of - measure twice, cut once. Even if all you do is look through, say, "/etc/rc.d/rc.wireless" and "wireless.conf" there, and look back after you have employed ControlCenter, you will learn a valuable lesson.

Also, I get an error message on boot that says it can not detect sound.

While there are some cards that aren't supported or well supported, if yours works in Ubuntu it will also work in Slackware. It just has to be started manually with the command "alsaconfig". Then just open your favorite mixer and make sure volumes are up. If you want your system to boot each time to the volumes you set "man alsactl" will tell you how. Otherwise it will go back to default which is in some cases quite loud. Also there is a vast amount of info for tweaking

Main Page - AlsaProject

Fun stuff ahead, but at least it's working. Woohoo!

I completely agree. Again Congrats! So tell everyone.... Can you feel the solid?