Science Forums

Kyoto Protocol - US missing the boat?

Buffy

Iran and North Korea actually have signed nuclear limitations accords, they just don't obey them.

Hi Buffy,

That's changed now (and it was wrong in 2005). The US intelligence agencies admit unanimously that Iran stopped it's nuclear weapons program in 2003 and an agreement was made with North Korea recently.

U.S. Says Iran Ended Atomic Arms Work - New York Times

If nations think that International conventions on torture are something to wipe their arses on then can they be expected to treat International environmental obligations the same.

p.s. Three cheers for US Intelligence.

That's changed now (and it was wrong in 2005). The US intelligence agencies admit unanimously that Iran stopped it's nuclear weapons program in 2003 and an agreement was made with North Korea recently.
Thank you for posting that information, but its of course important to note that Iran did at one point have a nuclear weapons program, with the current intelligence being based on secret documents from Iranian military leaders bemoaning the fact that the effort was abandoned in 2003. This means that Iran was indeed violating their international agreements up to that point!

I know you well enough though to know you obviously were simply pointing out that things have changed, and not being a typical 16 year-old about "correcting" any "error" that would assume that I had intelligence that no one in the world had at the time of the post above, as some disinterested observers might assume from your tone, and I appreciate that! :lol:

What hidden secrets will you say are in my head, ;)

Buffy

i heard on the radio today (no sources....and its the news guy talking...credible? doubtful).

anyway they were saying there is talk about the US and Japan working together to try and scrap the Kyoto and related regulations in their countries. they were mainly talking about Japans hollow commitment and less than eager attitude...they were talking about japan basically backing out.

anyone know about this? or just radio bs?

i heard on the radio today (no sources....and its the news guy talking...credible? doubtful).

anyway they were saying there is talk about the US and Japan working together to try and scrap the Kyoto and related regulations in their countries. they were mainly talking about Japans hollow commitment and less than eager attitude...they were talking about japan basically backing out.

anyone know about this? or just radio bs?

I suspect this is speculation. Recent news reflects that Japan, Spain and Italy Face $33 Billion Kyoto Payments. Because of this a Japanese firm announced the first carbon spot trade. Now Japan has gone on an air-spending-spree to buy rights from around the world to emit carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping greenhouse gases. Japan doesn't need to back out, they've built enough flexibility into the Kyoto Protocol for them to circumvent its intent as needed.