Science Forums

Religion vs. Religion: The Game

Overdog

I remember one of the year cards that popped up in the Medieval game described how some devout individual convinced parents in numerous villages to send their children to the holy land to win it back with "the power of their virtue."

Apparently a lot of parents were persuaded, as some 3 or 4 hundred kids twelve and under were gathered up and set out with a small contingent of guards.

Of course, they never made it to the holy lands. They didn't even make it to Venice. They just disappeared into history....

...and set out with a small contingent of guards. Of course, they never made it to the holy lands. They didn't even make it to Venice. They just disappeared into history....
They didn't go with the guards.

But they went really well with pasta, hollandaise and a good red wine.

:rolleyes: Welcome to the game, Turtle!!! :)

BTW===I am on vacation travel from Wednesday to this coming Monday. So, if'n you don't hear from me, don't worry.

Pyro the Peripatetic.

I'd go for the gusto, myself. Not hold anything back. I wouldn't want a watered down version....

Besides, burning your opponents top cleric at the stake every once in a while just sounds so appealing...:rolleyes:

Yeah in for a penny in for a pound, I say go for broke. We can hire body guards with the money made from the game :)

Hey , I know at the end of the game you find out it's just starting and you have to play for control of the universe in the after life after you win the world!!! Kinda like on of those video games where it just keeps getting more and more complex as you complete one game and have to go and buy the next one!

I remember one of the year cards that popped up in the Medieval game described how some devout individual convinced parents in numerous villages to send their children to the holy land to win it back with "the power of their virtue."

Apparently a lot of parents were persuaded, as some 3 or 4 hundred kids twelve and under were gathered up and set out with a small contingent of guards.

Of course, they never made it to the holy lands. They didn't even make it to Venice. They just disappeared into history....

Actually it was thousands of children and it was the Pope who made it happen, many of the lucky ones died of hunger and exposure the rest were sold into slavery and sexual bondage. None made it to the holyland. The Church made large sums of money on the sales.

I like, I like!

But how about another angle on the game? We have proposals for a board game, but seeing as this game is pitched at heathens like us in any case, how about a DRINKIN' GAME!?

You start with three normal dice - that way averybody can play, everyboday owns dice. They just need to print out the instructions here.

1. Any number of people can play, you can even play by yourself. In a single-player game, the player assumes the role of a faithless bum who drinks until he finds God.
  2. Multi-player games become more interesting. Then you have to start using the dice - single players don't need anything except the ability to swallow.
  3. All players must throw three dice before the game begins, to work out the order in which it is to be played. A player throwing a seven in any combination of three dice, i.e. a 3,2,2 or a 1,2,4 gets to be Pope. He dishes out the Holy Water, so to speak. Any player to start off with 6,6,6 gets to be Satan. Everybody gets to drink if there's a Satan involved. There is only one initial throw deciding who's who - in a game starting off with no person getting a 7 or a 666, there is no Pope and no Satan. It'll be each heretic for himself.
  4. Turns are worked out from the lowest intitial score to the highest. In other words, the guy starting off with a three (three 1's) starts before the devil. After sorting out the pecking order, the game begins:
  5. A player must nominate how the dice will fall. If the dice falls on his number (fat chance) then everybody else buys him a drink 'cause he's such an awesome prophet. Good times.
  6. If the dice does NOT fall on his number, Satan must drink, celebrating his meddling with prophetical issues. Satan must repeat this with all players as the game continues until he falls off his chair or until he finds God. Such is the penalty of throwing 666. Upon passing out, the player with the second-highest starting number (below 666) gets to step in, assuming Satan's role. He will be called Baal. In a Satanless Game, the other players get to light the current player's drink and he must drink it "Flaming Lamborghini"-style. This, of course, symbolizes burning him at the stake for being a false prophet. The player assigned as Muslim Fundamentalist gets to actually light the false prophet - make sure you wear old clothes! (The Muslim Fundamentalist doesn't get to drink, however. He plays the entire game on nothing but water. This, of course, means that very few participants will ever select being the Muslim Fundamentalist. But setting someone alight in a bar is quite alluring - so much so that quite a few nuts might even pick being the MF).
  7. Then it's the next player, with the same procedure as above. This repeats until it's the Pope's turn.
  8. The Pope nominates a number. The youngest male member of the group turns the first dice to a number that will form part of the Pope's nominated number. This player is called the Altar Boy. The oldest male member (apart from either the Pope or Satan) turns the second dice to form part of the number - he's called the Archbishop, and he then proceeds to pass a single peanut (you need barsnacks for this game) to each player except Satan (who's probably shitfaced already), and everybody takes a sip from a drink the Archbishop nominates. This, of course, signifies Holy Communion. But the Archbishop is in a perfect position to be a real dick, 'cause he can nominate ANY DRINK. And everybody (Apart from Satan) must take a hit. The third dice is then turned by the youngest female participant to a number that can, in addition to the first two dice, add up to the number nominated by the Pope. This player is called Sister Mary. If there are no female members present, the role of Sister Mary must be filled by the player suspected by the rest of the gang to be gay. There MUST be a Sister Mary. There's no getting out of it.
  9. Sister Mary turns the last dice. If she can't get to the Pope's nominated number, she's a failure as a nun, and must take a hit of any drink Satan gets to nominate. She must then confess her sins to the Archbishop, who gets to nominate another drink as Holy Water, absolving Sister Mary of her sins. Sister Mary is, of course, apart from Satan, in the best position to get entirely shitfaced in this game, because the Altar Boy and the Archbishop can get to turn the initial dice in such a way that for Sister Mary to get the final dice right is well-nigh impossible. It's handy to keep this in mind if you turn out to be the Altar Boy or the Archbishop, and you have designs on Sister Mary of a non-ecumenical nature.
  10. The game continues until all players have found God.

I like, I like!

But how about another angle on the game? We have proposals for a board game, but seeing as this game is pitched at heathens like us in any case, how about a DRINKIN' GAME!?

...The game continues until all players have found God.

HURRAH!!!!! :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I think we have "Religion II" : Just When You Thought it was Safe to Read the Scriptures.

Well done, Holy Cow!!!

:bow: :applause: :whp-pssh: :bow_flowers: :jumpforjoy: :eek:

That's a point we can maybe address within the game. :idea: Your card says, "You stop to fight over the afterlife; roll dice" :eek:

So, in kind of a summary, we have a board, tokens to move, dice to roll, and cards to choose.

Ideas:

1)Use regular polyhedra dice (all 5) and have which one(s) are used conditional on cards or board position?

2)Include both directions and colors on board spaces to add complexity to play?

3) use multiple decks of cards (possibly matched to board-space colors?) similar to Chance & Community chest in Monopoly but more numerous? 5 different kinds? 6?

That's all I got. Anyone drawn up a board yet? ...........:cup:

Imagine a board game with three folding sections--say about 24 inches by 36.

There is a path down the length of the board, but it's squiggly, like a maze.

I know your facility with mazes Winston, but I suggest a labrynth instead. If I'm not mistaken, in the rigorous math-path sense, a maze has dead ends wheras a labrynth does not. :cup: >> Labrynth

In an effort to complicate things (:eek:), what about a 3-d board design. It could consist of a labyrinth ascending a mountain. (king of the hill style I suppose)

I like you ideas Turtle. I have the software accessibility to draw up a board, but I'm not skilled in graphic design. Modest seems pretty skilled at graphic design though. He might help (I'm sure others here are equally skilled).

I think it's ok to draft it on vellum, or whatever, at first, but I think a digital version would be the best. We could create an excel sheet for the ('community chest'-like) cards. Using random.org, we could select cards at random (same goes for dice play). Using Gimp, we could create custom playing pieces that can be layered onto the game board. This would enable us all to move pieces by simply passing the Gimp file around (sequentially of course). :cup:

But, I digress...

We should come up with agreed upon gameplay, rules, etc. before we get into the design.

Hmm...That would certainly be easier than constructing a 3-d "mountain".

"That's highly illogical captain." :idea:

...Speaking of which, my last post which ended with "We should come up with agreed upon gameplay, rules, etc. before we get into the design.", was not really thought through well. :eek: We obviously need a basic design before we can make rules and construct the gameplay.

So, usually with board games, you have either a static board that is transversed by multiple pieces, or you have a dynamic board that represents the pieces (ie, a corner for Christians, a corner for Muslims, etc.). For a game such as the one we're talking about, I see advantages to both approaches. Yet, I find the static model more appealing as it gives more opportunity to construct the game play independent of the board. I'm thinking of something static, like monopoly, but "Park Place" (or any other spot) could represent different things for different theists.

We could get crazy though and have a melding of Pyro's "elevator mazes" and the'Star Trek version' of Chess. :cup: