Science Forums

Take A Moment

OpenMind5

Mr. Quaker? you know, i must say, i am not prejudice what so ever....but in the city next to mine there is a small establishment of omish people. and the first time i ever saw them, i was just totally excited and amazed. everybody else acted like it was nothing, but it was nice to see such an old and odd culture in the modern world. they made their own clothes and everything, although one time i saw a bunch riding in a van...i guess they gave in after all. anyway-a moment for them, the omish.

i guess they gave in after all. anyway-a moment for them, the omish.

Are you sure it wasn't Quakers you saw in the van? They dress very similar. But I've never known of an Amish person to ride in a vehicle. Now they will load them up, when it's their furniture going to market to be sold, but I've never seen one in a car. Actually, I just saw 5 of those Amish buggies last Friday, as I was in Pennsylvania. My kids had a fit - they'd never seen a horse and buggy on the road before!

A MOMENT FOR AIRTRAN AIRLINES, who- after THREE WEEKS- have found my luggage and are sending it to me! WooHoo! I finally get my stuff back!!

I just saw 5 of those Amish buggies last Friday, as I was in Pennsylvania.

Those Amish and all their buggies came to mind last time I flew out of PA. At the airport I was in line behind an Amish girl that was catching a plane somewhere. You're right, around town you won't catch them in or on a motor vehicle, it's strictly horse drawn buggies or bicycles. As soon as one of them has to go out of town though, they will get on an airplane.

Something else that caught my attention was the fact that all those buggies and bicycles have electric lights on them, both headlights and taillights. Someone told me that PA passed a law requiring them because too many buggies had been hit by cars at night. It made me want to ask how they charge their batteries for those lights. The Amish don't use machinery because they contend it is powered by fire and thus it is the work of the devil. It would be my guess though that there's fire somewhere in the loop that charges those batteries so they are they devil's work as well.

Bottom line, they are starting to bend their religious beliefs in favor of convenience.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~amish/ - Ohio went in-depth to find a way to make tings work with the Amish and still have safe roads...

http://www.amish.net/buggy.asp - evidently, not all states require lights...

http://www.the-daily-record.com/past_issues/09_sep/010926dr2.html - from 2001, some groups still want to adhere to the old ways, but make concessions when it comes to breaking laws and getting fines.

Is it possible that you saw someone froma nother group getting on that plane? Or that it was a young Amish person on their "Rumspringa"?

There's one...a moment for the Rumspringa, which everyone of every culture should experience!